ex army sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have a new unissued 58 pattern (1979) down bag. when used with a liner its very warm indeed!

I have noticed that while a lot of people get serious abouts layers to keep warm during the day. Its not a principle they extend to sleeping. When we sleep we do not have the benefit of exercise to generate body heat.
I think what ever you buy its a question of layers consider getting a silk liner, silk long johns and long sleeve vest to sleep in. Chap sells them direct from china for about £15 the set on ebay. Cheaper still a shell suit and a thicker kip mat.

Sleep snug

Sandsnakes :)

M

mikehill

I can have a google for you Brian. I bought it secondhand. Be back in a min ...
Mike.

M

mikehill

Here's an ebay link to one
HERE
As it's rated at -20C it may be too warm for your needs though :D
Mike.

D

deezee_uk

The army sleeping bag is kinda part of a kit as I understand it. Mine is a cracking item, but depending on the weather, I always use it with its inner liner and/or goretex outer. Its rating (-20 etc) is based on all these other items being present. Hence the Sleeping System. I am however confused about all the different types mentioned. I've seen the following listed as army bags
'58 standard
'58 arctic
Current issue standard
Current issue Arctic
Current issue Jungle
Current issue Goretex Bivvy
Current issue Goretex Arctic Bivvy

I'm not sure if these are genuine, or if people just accidently name it as such?

M

mikehill

deezee_uk said:
The army sleeping bag is kinda part of a kit as I understand it. Mine is a cracking item, but depending on the weather, I always use it with its inner liner and/or goretex outer. Its rating (-20 etc) is based on all these other items being present. Hence the Sleeping System. I am however confused about all the different types mentioned. I've seen the following listed as army bags
'58 standard
'58 arctic
Current issue standard
Current issue Arctic
Current issue Jungle
Current issue Goretex Bivvy
Current issue Goretex Arctic Bivvy

I'm not sure if these are genuine, or if people just accidently name it as such?
Not sure on my SAS one, but I use no liners/outers etc.. and it's still a bit too warm at -5C in Wales. I'll take a look at the tags on it tomorrow to see if there's any info on them.
Mike.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
deezee_uk

I'll try and answer your question as well as I can mate ;)

'58 standard, old issue down filled, waterproof base, central zip, fold in sides and roll into hood
'58 arctic, sorry not too sure about this one :eek:
Current issue standard, as it says mate, current issue with synthetic fill, same as in the link I left earlier. Warm but bulky, two internal mesh pockets and central zip, should come with a stuff/compression sack.
Current issue Arctic, Down bag, warmer than the standard bag, also has central zip, don't know much else about it.
Current issue Jungle, Thin lightweight bag, can zip open to use as a blanket, makes it like the US poncho liner. Issued for jungle or dessert, side zip.
Current issue Goretex Bivvy, Older version Bivvy bags were green and Gore Tex, had a draw cord to pull the neck and hood in. Newer one is DPM and MVP, impressions are that the new ones are not as good as the older version.
Current issue Goretex Arctic Bivvy, the only Bivvy I have seen as an Arctic one was a while ago and it was nylon and not breathable.

Mikehill, the bag you have is a current issue bag mate :D

The sleep system is normally issued as the sleeping bag, Bivvy bag and roll mat

Hope that is of some help

Brian

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Mike,

I bet it's warm isn't it mate, never had one of those but it sounds like the normal one with more filling :D

Brian

I've used military sleeping bags for years and they vary an awful lot. Remember most soldiers are relatively small, most being under 25 and this reflects sizing too, it is hard to get really big sleeping bags if your a guy at 18 stone!

The 58 pat bag with rubber base is always way to small and not that warm, they come in standard and long lengths
The 80's issue arctic bag with central zip and feather/down fill is an ace bag, this is what i use all the time although a little thin on filling in the base. I'm a big heavy guy and find this bag roomy enough for me, (it comes in one size) I use a lightweight arctic over bag for this in the really cold weather and find it ace.(these were made by special order for the marines before the new arctic bags were procured to upgrade the 90 patt ordinary sleeping bag-you can only buy them from silvermans now i think-these are not jungle issues bags which unzip to create a quilt.)

All the bags made from the 90's on are sized s m l
The 90's patt bag is generally very good and some were made by snugpack so check the labels. I find it a bit tight on the shoulders.

The 90 patt arctic bag is not down filled it is synthetic and made by snugpack among others. They have a central zip and are sized. S , M, L. I have a L and it is really very warm but it is much smaller than a standard issue L 90's bag. Certainly too small for me to comfortably use so i gave it to my wife!

D

deezee_uk

I've been wondering about getting an ex army arctic bag (although I've yet to have seen winter here in cheshire). Do they weight much more than the standard issue ones? I have no scales so I couldn't tell you what mine weighs. I've tried google but to no luck.

Edit... I've seen arctic bags with pockets on the outside and other on the inside. Are these the same bags? Which one is right? I assume the mesh pockets are on the inside?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No idea which one i have but its brilliant :D

I have used mine at least half a dozen times over this winter and always been warm. I know its not been a very cold one but i was in the peaks a few weeks ago and my watch read -5c and i was toasty (standard mob issue bivy bag also).

Will have a gander at the label when i pack for this week :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE