Evolution of a crooked knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am fascinated by crooked knives. And so I decided it was time to make one:D I have made a couple already but I think it needs more work to arrive to a good model.

DSCN0525.jpg

The top one, I made first, but the blade is straight in line with the handle when you look at it from the top and from the side and had no curve at the end. That one does not work that well, it put the wrist at a funny angle and it's tiring to use.

The bottom one is better, the blade is swept back and from the horizontal too. So it work better than the first one.

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

DSCN0532.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

It still needs work though. It feels a bit agricultural;) For a start, the handle is a bit big, even for my hand and instead of a straight blade with a curve at the end, i think it would be better with a shallow curve followed by a sharper curve at the end.It would also look more elegant! I want to replace those handles with curved branches or horn.

I'll add more when I get around to do the work :rolleyes:

KNC

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2007
Luton
silverbacks.wordpress.com
I don't know about agricultural but those crooked knives look good to me. I'd be happy to own one. :D
Is the blade held on by just the wire or have you used screws, its just I can't see any.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
The blade is held in a groove in the handle, a bit of epoxy and the wire (actually polyester thread), no screws or bolts. When I say agricultural I mean heavy, strong, built like a tank ;) They are also fiddly to make it their present forms, so time consuming and potentially expensive to make!

I meant to put this pic as well: it shows the shape of the blade from the top.

DSCN0533.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Here is a couple of pics (well 3!) of the next crooked knife I made yesterday.

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

The blade is 3 1/2" long, and only 1/2" wide and very sharp. It feels really comfortable in the hand, the handle is deer horn. I am going to have a go at making something with just this knife and I'll post the pics of the result.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE