Everyone OK in the storms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Never in the field of human meteorology were so many superlatives applied so widely to so little.

Tell that to the families of the two people who have been killed so far.

It may not have been as intense as they predicted in your area but the southern regions have been hit pretty hard

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
My neighbour's flower pot fell over, does that count?

Just a load of media hype because it got a bit windy in London.

:sun:
:hatscarf:

Z

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My neighbour's flower pot fell over, does that count?

Just a load of media hype because it got a bit windy in London.

:sun:
:hatscarf:

Z

You know some people seem to almost be trolling to play down how bad the storm actually was because it didn't hit their area.

As I said, two dead, quite a few people injured, over 250,000 homes without power, a large number of trees blown down and you say it's media hype?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Listening to Radio Four this morning as a news guy was interviewing some finance guy in Edinburgh.

News Guy says "And how will this storm affect the market?"

Finance guy replies " There's nae storm here..."

You could have cut the dead air with a knife.

Up here in "The North" we just get on with life in weather that Londoners describe as Armageddon.

It would be quite amusing if it didn't reflect a general Media attitude that the World spins around Trafalgar Column.

I was hitch hiking my way to Ascot on the night of "The Great Storm of 87" and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

The only thing unusual is that the "storm" was early so there were still lots of leaves on the trees which is why so many fell over.

I hope everyone is safe and I hope people will be just as considerate when we get a bit of wind.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You know some people seem to almost be trolling to play down how bad the storm actually was because it didn't hit their area.

As I said, two dead, quite a few people injured, over 250,000 homes without power, a large number of trees blown down and you say it's media hype?

It's the same here Mesquite. People complain about sensationalism and scare mongering if the predictions are worse than the reality and they scream bloody murder because they weren't adequately warned if it goes the other way. I assume that your media do the same as ours by saying what the coming storms "might be" or "have the potential to be" rather than saying they "absolutely will be." They're job isn't really to say such with certainty; just to warn people of the potential so they can take precautions.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Tell that to the families of the three people who lost their lives!.

Didn't know about that! Is a shame, but its not as severe as weather in other parts of the world though and they either say its worse than it will be or not as bad if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
A woman was killed in Amsterdam with her husband injured from a tree that fell on their car.
Not to much damage where I live. It is windier than normal though.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I was all poised to see my fencing blown down, my greenhouse splintered and to lose the corrugated iron roof off my shed, but all was fine this morning.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
not so much as a gentle breeze here thank god, my wife was panicking(she works away from home and is currently down in North west coast of England area) but she said not much really happened there either, but windy and a bit of rain.I havent spoke to my brother yet though he's in Portsmouth.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rain here more than wind in the end - our neighbourhood weather station indicates 46mm in a few hours which is enough to cause concern in the Winter. After a dry Summer though, the fields and dykes can take it.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Everything OK here. Really windy but not really a storm in my area. But just a little bit farther north it was really bad. On the German shore we had windguts with 191 km/h which is a new record, and windguts around 160 km/h were recorded all along the coast. I know of five people who were killed today (one of them a child). There was no train service in north-west Germany this afternoon. Definitively not media hype over here!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE