Everyone OK in the storms?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Death toll up to 4, not sure if that includes the lad who was swept away at Newhaven.

Still without power from about 5am...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I just found out that I used to work the guy who was killed by a tree in Watford today :(

Nice guy, heart of gold and always willing to help you out as much as he could.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Why does this have to descend into the old 'grim up north/southern softies' chestnut? Its a dull old cliche which is best ditched.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Death toll up to 4, not sure if that includes the lad who was swept away at Newhaven.

Still without power from about 5am...

From what i read on the Beeb website and hear on the local radio, that figure excludes the lad who was washed away at Newhaven.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Some areas of my neck of the woods have had problems. I spent most of this afternoon with tree surgeons and SSE staff removing a tree off power lines on one of my reserves; I've still got another dozen or so uprooted or leaning trees to sort out on that one site alone. Another site has 4 leaning birch (one very large rootplate!) and I haven't even got to 3 of the others yet!

According to the SSE guy there are still around 40 incidents to deal with in the area and the tree guys are going to be working through the night to get the lines cleared. They do a damn fine job and were able to get on it straightaway because of the adequate warning. I take my hat off to them - there are a lot of people out there tonight working bloody hard to make sure the rest of us can settle down in comfort.

Bob:)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I hope you're not considering a career in grief counselling....

Perhaps I am being a bit of a cynic, it's just when you see thousands killed in tsunamis, earthquakes etc it makes this look to fussy. I'm probably just being a plonka.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some areas of my neck of the woods have had problems. I spent most of this afternoon with tree surgeons and SSE staff removing a tree off power lines on one of my reserves; I've still got another dozen or so uprooted or leaning trees to sort out on that one site alone. Another site has 4 leaning birch (one very large rootplate!) and I haven't even got to 3 of the others yet!

According to the SSE guy there are still around 40 incidents to deal with in the area and the tree guys are going to be working through the night to get the lines cleared. They do a damn fine job and were able to get on it straightaway because of the adequate warning. I take my hat off to them - there are a lot of people out there tonight working bloody hard to make sure the rest of us can settle down in comfort.

Bob:)

It always amazes me here after a hurricane. The repairmen (the linemen for the utility companies) descend on the affected areas from several other states and I've even seen
convoys from Canada here in Florida helping with the recovery efforts. Oh I know they're being paid well----But they definitely earn it and the job they do is worth it! I'm glad to see you appreciate that work also (and no, I'm not a lineman;just a grateful customer)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Tell that to the families of the three people who lost their lives!.

Nonetheless it is important to keep a sense of proportion, I expect thousands are going to lose there lives over winter, particularly if it is a cold one, and that will not all be down to nature at all. Yes every death is a tragedy to somebody, no man is an island and all, but every day when there is not a storm, some family will lose a loved one. Why should we magnify every storm for it's death toll, when instead we should be thankfull that we have been spared the worst that tropical storms do elsewhere in the world, there is no comparison to Katrina for instance, none at all.

I'll get me coat.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nonetheless it is important to keep a sense of proportion, I expect thousands are going to lose there lives over winter, particularly if it is a cold one, and that will not all be down to nature at all. Yes every death is a tragedy to somebody, no man is an island and all, but every day when there is not a storm, some family will lose a loved one. Why should we magnify every storm for it's death toll, when instead we should be thankfull that we have been spared the worst that tropical storms do elsewhere in the world, there is no comparison to Katrina for instance, none at all.

I'll get me coat.

Agreed there's no comparison. But that's not the point of the weather forecasts and predictions is it? Their purpose is to minimize those deaths and damage where-ever the storms are by forewarning people. It just seemed that some posters have been getting offended that the forecast was worse than the actual storm. There's no absolute way to predict; which way would you prefer they err?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Agreed there's no comparison. But that's not the point of the weather forecasts and predictions is it? Their purpose is to minimize those deaths and damage where-ever the storms are by forewarning people. It just seemed that some posters have been getting offended that the forecast was worse than the actual storm. There's no absolute way to predict; which way would you prefer they err?

You're right there. I just think the media always exaggerate, what got me was when the news reporte said that thousands of people's lives had been derailed and I just thought it a bit extreme.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I set up my tents in the garden to test their performance in adverse weather. Sadly the main storm missed me by about 100 miles.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It appears to have been a bit of a damp squib for most of the country, but that's not what the screaming media parroted, so of course there will be cynical comments.
Those comments in no way express any disdain for the fatalities, or those who have to deal with damaged buildings, homes, etc., though.

It was a storm that hit the very south of the country and left most of the rest a bit breezy and rather wet :rolleyes:

I reckon that the media need to get a sense of proportion, and the rest of us need to learn to interpret weather forecasts.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the damage Mesquite, I hope it all resolves well, and I hope that the teenager who was washed away is recovered; his family must be distraught :(

M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It appears to have been a bit of a damp squib for most of the country, but that's not what the screaming media parroted, so of course there will be cynical comments.
Those comments in no way express any disdain for the fatalities, or those who have to deal with damaged buildings, homes, etc., though.

It was a storm that hit the very south of the country and left most of the rest a bit breezy and rather wet :rolleyes:

I reckon that the media need to get a sense of proportion, and the rest of us need to learn to interpret weather forecasts.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the damage Mesquite, I hope it all resolves well, and I hope that the teenager who was washed away is recovered; his family must be distraught :(

M

You have perfectly described how I felt :).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've just got back from an overnight trip to visit friends in Combe Martin, it was a tad windy last night but not as bad as expected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE