Evergreen broadleaf tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found a new tree on my property today, behind an outbuilding. It stuck out as it was in full leaf but not a conifer/holly/laurel. The leaves are quite small (40mm long?), smooth both sides and there was a single black berry (it's dark so couldn't readily see more). The tree was about 25' tall and fairly untidy rather than just being a single trunk

Any ideas?

null_zps7b365e1c.jpg

null_zps5eef49ca.jpg

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The leaves do look kind of seem like a privet's though...

Does anyone know how big a garden privet grows when it doesnt get a flat-top each year?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with privet, pretty sure I know what a cherry laurel looks like.

Interesting to see it's an invasive species elsewhere in the world. It's growing on effectively wasteland, next to some elder. Might have to come down to make way for a fence/hedge but hopefully it will grow back again

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The leaf size should distinguish for you Spandit - privet has smaller leaves - first finger joint length, laurel leaves are much larger, lighter green and far more shiny. Its hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures to be honest.

I think of privet as an invader - and a horrible hedge plant tbh. It doesn't have many redeeming features over other hedges.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's definitely not laurel so pretty sure it's privet

null_zps912f1d18.jpg

It's not doing any harm where it is although might need to come out as I mentioned to make way for a fence. Wonder what it's like to carve/burn?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Apologies. I only gave the picture a quick glance before I agreed with cherry laurel. I've read the text now, and looked at the new picture, and I agree entirely that it's not cherry laurel.

I don't know about privet, it's a plant I've never paid any great attention to in all honesty.

Sorry for being absolutely no help whatsoever :eek:

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I would say ligustrum-japonicum which is a common privet tree rather than a bush and it fruits throughout the year it's native to japan but has been used all over the world and is bird spread seed bearer which explains the one off distribution

Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise
@mouseinthewood

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it is privet and it's been allowed to grow long and whippy, then it's a good for basketry :) and it's the kind of basket that deals well with wet.
Meso and Neolithic fishtraps made of privet have been found in several sites in Europe, such as at At Noyen-sur-Seine (Mordant & Mordant 1992) six conical fish-traps made of privet were recorded alongside a wooden canoe, dated to c. 6500 BC

Similar traps were found in Ireland when excavation revealed a fishing platform with the traps too.
http://www.m3motorway.ie/Archaeology/Section2/Clowanstown1/file,16720,en.pdf

see pages 41 & 42 and plates 21 to 34 for details of the traps.

It's an archaeological report, and it's a huge pdf folks so open only if you have time.

M

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
If it is privet and it's been allowed to grow long and whippy, then it's a good for basketry :) and it's the kind of basket that deals well with wet.
Meso and Neolithic fishtraps made of privet have been found in several sites in Europe, such as at At Noyen-sur-Seine (Mordant & Mordant 1992) six conical fish-traps made of privet were recorded alongside a wooden canoe, dated to c. 6500 BC

Similar traps were found in Ireland when excavation revealed a fishing platform with the traps too.
http://www.m3motorway.ie/Archaeology/Section2/Clowanstown1/file,16720,en.pdf

see pages 41 & 42 and plates 21 to 34 for details of the traps.

It's an archaeological report, and it's a huge pdf folks so open only if you have time.

M

I enjoyed that thanks

Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise
@mouseinthewood

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have found privet useful for making little edging fences. Just rough ones, even quite a small hedge of makes tons of withes. I couldnt get it to bend back on its self so it personally I wouldnt do anything ambitious with it. Cone traps should be pretty easy.

Privet is related to olive. The fruits on uk olives can be really tiny. There isn't anything edible in the uk with hard black fruit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE