Ever lose a knife, over and over??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I bought a Gerber Gator folder, cheesy knife with the partial serrations about 18 years ago, no particular reason, just bought it. I never used it and promptly lost it. I have found it numerous times in my house and promptly lost it again. Last time I saw it was about 3 years ago. I lost it again. It's not like I move it around, it just goes missing, over and over. I think it is the Atlantis version or the Bermuda Triangle variant.
It seems odd to me because I never lose anything. I know where everything is and I never misplace things, except this stupid knife. I even still have my Scout matchcase from 1956, I never lose things. I have a pen that I carried in the military starting in 1966 and kept through 20 years service and still have it today.
What do you reckon is with this knife? A shapeshifter perhaps?

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Not a knife, but a pair of winter cycling gloves. I put them away somewhere each spring, then for the life can't find them all summer, even when I need them. I did a 24 hour event last year, and needed them for the 2am leg, but despite turning everything inside out, I just couldn't find them. Come October, and my little fingers getting increasingly cold on my commute I thought I had better get some new ones. Luckily Lidl or Aldi were doing there autumn bike thing, so I got a pair of winter gloves. Just a couple of days later my son was in the garage and called out "Dad, are these those gloves you were looking for?" :confused:

This happens most years, and certainly for the last 5 with these particular gloves. I reckon it's something to do with when you are focussing on something, you can't see it, but when they are incidental they become more obvious. Or, it's wormholes and shapeshifters at work.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I lost my first Woodlore in my local woods about ten years ago, twice. The neck sheath was a little too loose and it kept falling out at certain angles. I found it both times, although it was rusted up in the dew. It now resides somewhere in the Brecon Beacons after the same thing happened again. Looking back, It is lucky it didn't cut me or land tip first in my foot. I never heard it come out or land.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
A long time ago in the military, I learned to keep my knife in my rucksack until I am going to be using it, mainly to prevent loss. I also carried my military knife on my left side even though I am right handed. The reason was I watched a guy fall about 30 feet off a vertical wall while rappelling. His Ka-Bar had slipped up the sheath and cut the rope clean off ahead of his braking hand, which is why he fell the last 30 feet. Broke an arm, rung his bell, luckily had a helmet, and multiple bruises and sore spots. Didn't lose the knife though.
Jonathan, I would still be lookin for that Woodlore had it been mine, they're just too hard to get!

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
My SAK Solider is the elusive one. I actually have it at the moment but it has gone into hiding many times. Where it goes I don't know. I generally find it again in the pocket of a jacket I have searched several times and only wore a few days earlier! I live alone so nobody else moves it around. Cue eerie music...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've a Buck knife that seems to go on holiday for a while and then turns up somewhere I'd never put it. I lost it camping summer of 2008 and went back winter 09, set up camp, sat in my chair, looked down and there was the knife resting between my boots...very strange.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Like this I'm thinking...

1945-121-knife.jpg

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
This phenomena is easily explained, it's all down to the humble domestic washing machine. Through a series of experiments I have proven that an aggressive spin cycle can often generate a rift in the space/time continuum. These rifts are quite small - about the size of a rolled up sock - and generally restricted to the confines of the washing machine. Unfortunately the drum makes a poor containment device so it's not uncommon for these rifts to occur in random places throughout the house. For reasons unexplained, the rifts seem to be attracted to small metal objects - generally the more expensive, rare or difficult to replace the greater the chance it will be swallowed by a rift. As far as I can tell it's a two way process so it's not unusual for objects to reappear after several years absence.

My advice? tie the knife to something larger than a sock :)

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I did lose a zippo once. A friend that was in the navy gave it to me, from his ship. Then several years later he stole it back from me. I'd cry if I lost my G-Shock!
Bluemerle, you need one of those Silva compasses with the mirror, that way you can see who is lost :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE