Eustace Conway (mountainman) facing charges over Bushcraft school

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
According to our local building inspector, they will not sign off a new septic tank installation - at all. They will allow repair etc. of existing ones, but new ones must be powered aerobic treatment centres.

Most likely due to either:

1) high water table meaning a soakaway isn't usable - so new units have to discharge to watercourse & package treatment plant. This is the EA's preferred option and national policy , so planning might reflect this. This way there is a distinct defined discharge point for them to sample if need be. Rather than an unsamplable diffuse source.

2) Nitrate vulnerable catchment - ie chalk or drinking aquifers. Package plants required to reduce nitrates in discharges.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I believe it took Ben Law a decade to get permission to build his house. But he definitely had permission before he constructed it.

There is a similar case at Brithdir Mawr in Pembrokeshire where the builders of a cob home had to fight for years against planners who wanted to pull it down. It looks a beautiful home and is unique. It does not despoil the landscape ( a National Park) and is only visible from the air. Not sure what the latest on this is, last I heard they were going to be allowed to keep it.

Yeah, I remember that, got discovered because Ordinance Survey were flying planes over and saw solar panels on a roof of something.

http://www.thatroundhouse.info/

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I spent the entire Montain man series asking why he was going to lose his land. Then in the last episode there was a mention on $85,000 debt.

I get the impression facts and the law mean little to this man, as has been mentioned on other media, just set up teepee and hire portaloos if he really wants it - but this probably is a backlash because he has annoyed several people high up in the govt.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
If he really charges $1400 for his courses I can see why that kid Justin was so cheesed of doing work about the place instead of learning new skills. Conway seem's a bit of a rouge if you ask me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If he really charges $1400 for his courses I can see why that kid Justin was so cheesed of doing work about the place instead of learning new skills. Conway seem's a bit of a rouge if you ask me.

Lets be honest, the whole series was a joke. 4x4s, light plane, power tools etc it was never going to live up to the expectation the series title hinted at. This chap has got slammed for not living up to the regulations/codes etc.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
It always amazes me how quickly people want put put shackles on themselves & others
The clamor to give up individual freedoms makes this is a truly depressing thread for me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Read a little deeper Jock.
No ones slighting him for living 'Mountain Man' style, but he's running a surprisingly modern business (aircraft, chainsaws, etc.,) his business practices seem to leave something out of that equation, and if he's charging money then he has to accept that H&S is an issue.

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
He is trying to live a noble and simple life, but he can't afford it, has live in lodgers who volunteer labour etc. I saw an episode the other day where his tap got blocked. I'm surprised he has not had more hygiene issues. No reasons for basic systems to be clean and safe eg natural filtered water sources and deep drop loos etc.

They also moved an outhouse/shed on an epsiode and the next big storm looked like it may blow the thing down !

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Read an interesting bit in another article about the case (from 14th March)....

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/man-upset-after-inspectors-find-problems-his-camp/nWr3m/

Think someone's trying a last attack to get the land before the rules change.

“Why are they attacking me because I'm different?” he said.

He's wining because he feels they singled him out, I don't feel they did at all. He's just having to put up with the same restrictions as everyone else and if others see him carrying on building with gay abandon they will be playing hell about not being able to do it themselves.
Why should I build to code when the bloke up the hill doesn't have to?

He built buildings without permits, can everyone do that?
Got a mate with a bit of land, can he just throw a few houses up on it without getting building control and planning permission? Sounds good to me.

What about bunging up a factory there? No worries.
Waste burner facility?
Nuclear waste depository?

See where I'm going with this?

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
He's wining because he feels they singled him out, I don't feel they did at all. He's just having to put up with the same restrictions as everyone else and if others see him carrying on building with gay abandon they will be playing hell about not being able to do it themselves.
Why should I build to code when the bloke up the hill doesn't have to?

He built buildings without permits, can everyone do that?
Got a mate with a bit of land, can he just throw a few houses up on it without getting building control and planning permission? Sounds good to me.

What about bunging up a factory there? No worries.
Waste burner facility?
Nuclear waste depository?

See where I'm going with this?

A reductio ad absurdum argument which misses some pertinent points.

The land is valuable.
The State are looking at changing rules to allow what he does.
Someone kicks off a major operatioon involving multiple armed agents, helicopter etc to drive through the rules before they change.

I realise that views on Conway's lifestyle and methods will tinge the debate, but even the most officious rule abiders must think something other than public safety is behind this?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE