Eustace Conway (mountainman) facing charges over Bushcraft school

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm with the dissenters on this one

unless the common area has a conventional restroom, fire sprinklers and smoke detectors, his entire camp must remain shut down.

They are saying he can't have composting toilets or outhouses and he must have a sprinkler system. He doesn't have pressured water! The whole point of the courses he runs is to teach people a "simpler" lifestyle - in order to do that he has to spend a fortune to get away from the very lifestyle he is teaching which will diminish the courses.

If the buildings are unsafe, thats one thing, but destroying the very simplicity of his life is something else.

Still the Nanny state knows what is best for us all.

Consume, conform, obey. Be a good citizen.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

They are saying he can't have composting toilets or outhouses and he must have a sprinkler system. He doesn't have pressured water! The whole point of the courses he runs is to teach people a "simpler" lifestyle - in order to do that he has to spend a fortune to get away from the very lifestyle he is teaching which will diminish the courses.

If the buildings are unsafe, thats one thing, but destroying the very simplicity of his life is something else.

I just read the linked article.

It is indeed crazy.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Crikey! I don't have pressured water !!! on our own spring !!! and our own sewage system !!! Several farmer friends have compost loos, and one dairy-cheese-maker friend runs a willow/reed-bed system for all his black and grey water !!! Another friend who teaches woodcraft-school has no sprinkler systems, and a compost loo, and her own spring, and her own self-build buildings. Dhhhhhhhh ... elf-n-safety !!! Try getting pressurized mains water on Exmoor, Dartmoor, in the wilds of Wales, in the Highlands, the wilds of anywhere ... towns, maybe, out in the wilds, very unlikely.

And I'll never, ever even begin to try to be a good citizen !!!

rg598

Native
From what I have read about the issue, it does not appear to be related to the way he lives. He is free to do as he pleases on his land. It is also not an issue if he wants to have guests there who also want to live that way.

The problem comes in when he starts running a commercial enterprise that is open to the public and from which he makes money. At that point safety and health regulation have to be met. You can not run a summer camp for children, or for that matter adults, in a building that is not up to code, whether it be because the beams used are not properly rated, or because proper sanitation facilities are not provided.

If you want to live on your own property as a mountain man, nobody here is going to stop you. If you want to run a business and make money, you have to comply with the necessary regulations.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
From what I have read about the issue, it does not appear to be related to the way he lives. He is free to do as he pleases on his land. It is also not an issue if he wants to have guests there who also want to live that way.

The problem comes in when he starts running a commercial enterprise that is open to the public and from which he makes money. At that point safety and health regulation have to be met. You can not run a summer camp for children, or for that matter adults, in a building that is not up to code, whether it be because the beams used are not properly rated, or because proper sanitation facilities are not provided.

If you want to live on your own property as a mountain man, nobody here is going to stop you. If you want to run a business and make money, you have to comply with the necessary regulations.

How would it stand if he did his teachings for free?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Agreed! but I think Rod Paradise hit the nail on the head. Using Eustace's practices and health and safety against him knowing darn well he cant afford to make the changes or pay the taxes, thus evicting him from his land because at the end of the day 1000acres got to be worth millions$$$$.
I also think its hilarious and so OVER the top to send in armed agents and a helicopter...hahahaha!

I think it all has to do with greed and jealousy, wanting to take his land and wanting to stop him being different. Being different is a no-no to so many people now. And to send in the troops to enforce it is so appallingly normal in some countries !!! ye gods !!!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
This reminds me of something that happened in the UK some years ago .

Wasn't it Ben Law who built an amazing house from natural materials on his own land then got told he had to pull it down due to planning permission . Correct me if I am wrong but he went on to fight this as this is a unique house and won , he now runs courses from there I think and does talks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ben got his permission after living in a tree house for years, but his permission is tied to his job. When he dies or retires that house has to be pulled down.

Because pulling down that beautiful house is sensible huh? Classic illustration of the problem!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ben got his permission after living in a tree house for years, but his permission is tied to his job. When he dies or retires that house has to be pulled down.

Because pulling down that beautiful house is sensible huh? Classic illustration of the problem!

I believe that Ben no longer has to have his house pulled down if he dies or leaves.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
There is a similar case at Brithdir Mawr in Pembrokeshire where the builders of a cob home had to fight for years against planners who wanted to pull it down. It looks a beautiful home and is unique. It does not despoil the landscape ( a National Park) and is only visible from the air. Not sure what the latest on this is, last I heard they were going to be allowed to keep it.

Conway has run his courses for 26 years without anyone getting hurt or poisoned. The main beef seems to be with his buildings. The authorities don't say they're not safe just that they don't follow the codes and they don't follow codes because they are not built in the modern way.

No doubt the building regulators are covering their a**es, imagining what their lives will be like if someone did get hurt and began litigation. The modern state says people need to be protected from themselves and it says that because the lawyers are waiting if things go wrong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

And that is the tidiest summing up of the whole issue :D

M

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Agreed, why should someone be allowed to cut corners and/or risk others, the public or clients, so they can make money? It is a flat playing field for all.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Agreed, why should someone be allowed to cut corners and/or risk others, the public or clients, so they can make money? It is a flat playing field for all.

I think you need to read all the facts. He is not cutting corners he is just living and building how they did 170 years ago.
26 years he has been doing what he does with no injury's to others.
Eustace Conway isn't doing what he does for making money he is mearly showing people how we used to live, what he charges doesn't even cover the taxes he has to pay on his property.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE