Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ida-Viru county. Around 60km west from Russian border.

Ah i see. Bear Central then :D. Even where they are common ive heard that marked trees are usually the only thing you will see. I have found 4 cases of bear attacks in the last year or so though. None resulted in death but one farmer had his leg badly mauled.

Still we will need to be careful when on the eastern side and not just bears, Elk/Moose are a nightmare when they have calfs with them.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
As far as I know, it is against the law to set up traps and snares or use any kind of bows or sling shots for hunting. So, unless you are in survival or self defense situation or having a write to hunt with a gun, it would be your bacon :D

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
As far as I know, it is against the law to set up traps and snares or use any kind of bows or sling shots for hunting. So, unless you are in survival or self defense situation or having a write to hunt with a gun, it would be your bacon :D

:D dont worry, the only trap we will be setting is putting Steve in his hammock and smearing him with honey :D

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Does anyone have any tips they can give me for transporting the rucksack in the plane hold?
I was planning on putting my 70litre pack inside a massive footy hold all iv got. Will this work?
I seem to remember reading somewhere covering your pack in gaffa tape and stuff but I would rather not do that tbh.
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Having had one rucksack nearly ruined by the luggage handlers, side pocket ripped and straps pulled off. ( they will not pick things up by the proper handles ,just whatever is nearest) Also if there is a blockage on the luggage roundabout the belt keeps running under your rucksack and scuffs it.
So I made a travel sack for mine. It is a bag made of sailbag nylon,light but strong, with webbing straps to cinch it up and handles on all sides.Just roll it up and stuff it inside your pack when you get there.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Baggage handlers! Was down at Raleigh-Durham airport a day or so ago, handing in my damaged suitcase to be sent for repair (yup - baggage handlers again..). One of the lines was shut down. It turned out that the baggage handlers had put a dog - in a travel cage - on the conveyor belts, and it had gone ballistic!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Originally Posted by jacko1066 Does anyone have any tips they can give me for transporting the rucksack in the plane hold?
I was planning on putting my 70litre pack inside a massive footy hold all iv got. Will this work?
I seem to remember reading somewhere covering your pack in gaffa tape and stuff but I would rather not do that tbh.
Cheers
Steve

My Sabre will probably be going inside its rain cover. I wrap all the plastic clips in gaffer tape, tape the straps to the bag, then put the rain cover over (tied on too) so only the carry straps stick out. I'll take the hip belt off too and put that inside.

If there is any spare weight, I may chuck it inside a DIY Pertex sack to save the rain cover.

If I take my lightweight pack instead, that will go with me in the cabin so I can mollycoddle it and all the kit will go in the hold in a duffle bag. I've got a Brit army deployment bag which is much lighter than the 4.5kg sabre and at £12, I'm not bothered about it getting ripped.

Don't forget, a 70l pack will still be able to go in the cabin as long as its not stuffed with kit-if it'll squash in the box they have by the check in desk, its good to go and you can use the footie duffle as hold baggage on its own. :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's not always the baggage handlers, if there are loose straps then your bag is likely to get caught up somewhere within the conveyor system.

This can cause the flight to leave without the bag if it's well and truly trapped, tears and rips or absolute demolishment.
I've seen sturdy plastic cases pretty much explode when trapped between transportation trays and guardrails.

Depending on the flight and airport your bag is very rarely in human contact, unless it goes through extra security checks it'll probably only be handled twice after check-in till it's loaded, the same at the other end.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thought id tidy my list as ive added some stuff and taken away other bits

Item Name weight

Bergen

Verizon Wolverine Monolith 70 + 2 10l Rocket Pouches 3050
Dry Bag Main 98
Dry Bag Sleeping Bag 55

Shelter

Golit Shangrala 5 Outer Only + Pole 1200

Sleep System

Jerven Thermo king 1900
Western Mountaineering Megalite Down Bag 710
Exped UL Down mat 7LW 600
Helsport Bivvy Shoes 450

Stove

Element 2.2 Ti Wood Burning Stove 141

Pots Pans Brew

Snowpeak 1.4l Ti Pot 210
Alpkit 750 Mug 110
Ti Spork 20
Pot Scourer sponge 10

Admin

DPM Wash Bag 80
Lifeventure Soap 125
Toothbrush & Paste 100
Microfiber Cloth x 2 50
Microfiber Towel 200
Ortlieb Shower Attachment 10
Foot powder 150
Ipood Trowel 100
Mirror 22
Tick Tweezer 10
Bog Roll 50
Wipes 100

FAK 200

Possibles Bag Sea to Summit silnylon bag 112g

Contents
petzle elite 26
Exotac Nanostriker 18
Quantum DD Torch 18
Small Alox SAK 16
Tinder Card 100
Lummi Raw Torch & Battery 40
Bic Lighters X 4 56
Ranger Bands 5
10000 mah usb charge pack 125
Spare Coin Cells for Lights 50
ibutton Thermometer 10
Micro Lithium Charger 10
Phone 170
Alpkit Padded Cell phone case 10
Mora 110
Folding Duluth Saw 438
Double Stuuf Sharpener 98
Wallet, Tickets, Cash, Card, Docs 200
Uco and 3 candles 314
Compass 40
Map 150

Water & Treatment

10 litre Ortleib water bladder 125
Thirst Aid bag 211
Millbank 80
Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Kitchen Sink 10L 49

Food Buy on Arrival - Allow 3kg 3000

Clothes - Worn

Beanie
Gloves - Hestra Czone Pickup
Merino wool long johns and Base
Buffalo 6 Shirt
Ventile Trousers
Woolpower Socks
Boots - Scarpas

In Pack

Arktis waterproof Smock.
Crocs
Woolpower Socks X2
Spare Underwear x2
Spare Base Layer
merino buff
Spare Trousers Craghoppers
outfit for return flight T shirt & Craghoppers

Circa 18000

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
These bivi boots Paul, are they simply for wearing in your pit or can you walk around camp with them?
Just wondering if a thick pair of wool socks would do the same thing?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
They are designed for use in the tent in snowy conditions. think sleeping bag for your feet with a totes toasties style reinforced sole. Ideal to kip in but you can also wander out to water a tree in the dry or in snow. no good in wet though. much warmer than wool socks as they are down filled so will trap more air.

edit, they are listed as water resistant but to be honest you wouldnt want to get back in your bag if they were wet.

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9152371

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
So do you think it's worth ditching them and saving nearly half a kilo in favour of a pair of thick wool socks mate??

Plus if your gonna have some titanium loveliness in the form of a wood stove do you need them??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE