Escape & Evasion Survival Board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Some members of this forum joined my E&E forum this past week..However the forum guidelines we'rnt followed and these people were delted..

Feel free to have a go at it again but you MUST follow the guidlines or you will not be admited.

East Scout

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Scout,

Your sites welcome is less than welcoming if you know what I mean. Even though I wasn't one of those who were deleted I wanted to look around but was discouraged by the welcome

Better you encourage people to join and evaluate their contributions over time than make them jump through hoops. You can always delete those who do not use their account over a specified period or are loopy.

It might be useful if you told us the difference between your forums approach and civillian bushcraft and explain any contradictions in "miltary" and "survival".

For instance military 'survival' is about E&E not strictly bushcraft. The idea being that you remain out of the enemies clutches as long as possible till you either get back, die or are of less intelligence value once you are captured as you have only out of date information. The main goal is not your survival.Unless you are a pilot there is not much point in deploying resources to get you back unless there is minimal risk to rescuers so you are bring written off.

This is very short term and that goal means you won't use some bushcraft skills such as fire-lighting, trapping or any shelter building except the most basic and tactical. So you are encouraged to avoid roads which is the best source of food via roadkill since you can't trap without drawing attention to yourself.

I remember seeing statistics many years ago that showed the average lone soldier in the jungle was dead in just over a week and NCOs and officers managed close to 4 weeks.

Now if you are leaving the zone of a natural disaster or civil war you are a refugee and safety lies in numbers and teamwork not skulking around in the bush by yourself. Survival means a different thing here as you want to reestablish a community and that includes women and children. Most refugees/survivors will want to get a semblance of normality as soon as possible

So you should tell us what value is there for civillians to learn 'military style survival' skills unless it is for escaping from Appalachian cannibal hill-billies as in the horror movies, which I admit is a possibility. (I wonder what the Appalachian tourist board thinks about this stereotype of the area?

Seriously though, I am keen to know more about your site but woulld like to browse without being 'tested' as it were.

Cheers

Reactions: Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
East Scout, from what is visible it looks like you have a good site set up there. I enjoyed reading your opening piece about Survivalists, it was a good counter point to the hype one hears from different sources.

As for the joining instructions, I really don’t see what the fuss is about. Whilst there are more hoops to jump through than on a lot of forums they don’t seem particularly unreasonable to me given their stated objective, and the nature of the subject matter. Whether it is workable long term, I don't know.

There are plenty of totally private forums out there that require members to be invited to join. Some even require that you attend some kind of real world gathering where you can be vetted for suitability. Compared to that, East Scouts community is fairly open...though, I haven't actually tried to join :lmao: While it looks interesting, I doubt I would be able to spend enough time on there. Too many intereting forums and not enough time!

Good luck with the site, I hope it works out well.

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Torjusg, Doomyracer

Boo Whooo. :red: .Quit your crying... :aargh4: Maybe if you two would had of bothered to read the whole thread, joined to have a look and not run your mouths, you may have see how the forum runs. You would have also understood why It's run like that. The "hoops" are there for a reason. Its not your place to decide how I keep the thuggery out of the group, what type of thuggery and why. If you dont like it, fine, not a problem other than your own. Certainly not mine..We are running fine w/o you...You two need to toughen up a bit if you wanna survive a real survival situation..Learn to look outside the box :cool:

BOD..

If you wanna join, you know how. The rules apply to everyone..The Welcome isnt a welcome at all..We use to "Welcome" everyone and it did just that, welcomed everyone and caused major problems..It was rather a warning for the briggens who want to cause trouble..We use to get more of that than anything before we started the "filter syetem".. Seems it worked just fine, eh? :AR15firin :D Those two couldnt even get past reading the first post! LOL..

There is a lot of personal information on the site that people have posted so we keep it closed becuase we have had a HUGE problem w/ the Militia crowd in the US causeing problems. We keep its small and productive. If you wann join; You're more than welcome. Im not gonna debate w/ you or anyone else the reason I chose E&E for a forum but Ill tell you that your theories are way off.. :swordfigh

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
C_Claycomb said:
East Scout, from what is visible it looks like you have a good site set up there. I enjoyed reading your opening piece about Survivalists, it was a good counter point to the hype one hears from different sources.

As for the joining instructions, I really don’t see what the fuss is about. Whilst there are more hoops to jump through than on a lot of forums they don’t seem particularly unreasonable to me given their stated objective, and the nature of the subject matter. Whether it is workable long term, I don't know.

There are plenty of totally private forums out there that require members to be invited to join. Some even require that you attend some kind of real world gathering where you can be vetted for suitability. Compared to that, East Scouts community is fairly open...though, I haven't actually tried to join :lmao: While it looks interesting, I doubt I would be able to spend enough time on there. Too many intereting forums and not enough time!

Good luck with the site, I hope it works out well.

Thank you..I can clearly see why you are a Mod... :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
East Scout said:
Snip> Boo Whooo. :red: .Quit your crying... :aargh4: <snip....snip>..We are running fine w/o you...You two need to toughen up a bit if you wanna survive a real survival situation..Learn to look outside the box :cool: <snip

Wow that's a bit arrogant don't you think.

You came here looking for more members and if people aren't interested you don't have to be abusive to them.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
East Scout said:
Torjusg, Doomyracer

Boo Whooo. :red: .Quit your crying... :aargh4: Maybe if you two would had of bothered to read the whole thread, joined to have a look and not run your mouths, you may have see how the forum runs. You would have also understood why It's run like that. The "hoops" are there for a reason. Its not your place to decide how I keep the thuggery out of the group, what type of thuggery and why. If you dont like it, fine, not a problem other than your own. Certainly not mine..We are running fine w/o you...

No tears shed here son, but if you're gonna post up a link to your site you should expect some feedback.

Reading your site, your posts and your 'wall of shame' you seem to revel in the fact that you have an internet forum and wield some sort of 'power'.

You two need to toughen up a bit if you wanna survive a real survival situation..Learn to look outside the box :cool:

Haha, Walt, you have no idea.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hmmm

I have two definate trains of thought here:

1. The site is an excellent idea, i like the principle that for once an E+E site is not all about how to slit someone throat with a cheese wire and the best way to make napalm at home etc etc :D Disaster survival is one aspect of the outdoors i am particularly intersted in as like you East Scout i think that one day it will happen. With an increasing dependance on technology and the idea that life's comfort's are on tap or at the flick of a switch then any kind of disaster will kill far more in it's aftermath than the event itself due to the lack of any basic skills or even the simplist preparations.

2. The site does appear to look rather contraversial. While i have no problem with the fact that your forum is not a democracy (just like this site) it does appear on the surface to be a bit hard line. Again if that is what is needed to keep away the nutters then so be it. The site is your baby and it is only right that you want to nurture and protect it any way you can.

It would appear by your own guidelines that i am afraid i don't really have the time to spend browsing and contributing to what on the surface looks to be a good site.

I wish you all the best with it. :D

PS. It would be appreciated if you were a liitle less abrasive with your replies. It may just be your way or personallity but personal attacks on members are discouraged on here.

A good saying i have heard over the years:

"Don't ask the question if you don't like the answer"

You brought this up, don't criticise peoples answers just because they are different to your idea of what is right.

Thank you

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
East Scout said:
Nor do you mate..Thats the problem w/ most situations..

Cheers..

kiss01.gif

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
FAO East Scout. Mate, any interest I had in joining your site has be quenched by your childish and immature attitude to the fellow members of this excellent site, checking your PP I had expected your dob to be post 1990, I was amazed to see you are actually a year older that myself, I think you need to go away, grow up, apologise to this forum and then return with your request for new members, you may then stand a better chance of getting them.

Reactions: Wayland

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
East Scout said:
Torjusg, Doomyracer

Boo Whooo. :red: .Quit your crying... :aargh4: Maybe if you two would had of bothered to read the whole thread, joined to have a look and not run your mouths, you may have see how the forum runs. You would have also understood why It's run like that. The "hoops" are there for a reason. Its not your place to decide how I keep the thuggery out of the group, what type of thuggery and why. If you dont like it, fine, not a problem other than your own. Certainly not mine..We are running fine w/o you...You two need to toughen up a bit if you wanna survive a real survival situation..Learn to look outside the box :cool:

What are your qualifications on the survival subject then? Ex-military...? Wow :p I may not know too much about survival, but I know a thing or two about marketing. And I can tell you one thing: That is not one of your strong points!

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Aragorn said:
FAO East Scout. Mate, any interest I had in joining your site has be quenched by your childish and immature attitude to the fellow members of this excellent site, checking your PP I had expected your dob to be post 1990, I was amazed to see you are actually a year older that myself, I think you need to go away, grow up, apologise to this forum and then return with your request for new members, you may then stand a better chance of getting them.

Ill get over it ..honest..

Cheers..

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Well you folks can toss you cuts at me and say what you like..The anti-camo survival theme of this board is coming out hard here..Its fine..I have met some great people on here and some people that think in thier own way..Its fine..Its the way of the world no matter where you go..

No matter..We all share the same rock..Im not gonna sit here and argue over petty things w/ some people that seem to not have much else to do..

Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you all have a great 2007 w/ no catastrophies, but rather good time and happy trails..

East Scout..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Gents,
Enough with the name calling :nono:
:rolleyes:

Using internet forums is dead easy. If the place has information you want, you play by the rules that their Admin sets. If you don't like the rules, don't play.

There isn't actually any NEED for you to give feed back. ;) I doubt that it makes one iota of difference, in this case, if people here don't like the sign in process. The simple answere is "so don't sign in". That's a blunter answer than people normally give, but it is certainly clear and I don't see anything wrong with being clear. :cool:

Hey, the provision is even made for you to lie when you sign in :lmao: You can't get much more honest than that!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I assume you've got a reciprocal link on your site back to BCUK? Or do I have to be a member to find out? ;)

6 Advertising:
<snip>
Members should not post links to their own commercial ventures, websites or forums.
Links to such websites in signatures are permissible (at the discretion of BCUK admin) as long as this is not abused and a clearly visible reciprocal link to Bushcraft UK is placed on the website to which the link points.
<snip>

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=45

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE