Esbit cook stove/set?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had an earlier version that I liked a lot.

It wasn't very big so you're looking at small meals only but weight wise it was superb.

I lightened mine even further by popping the base plate out and standing the tablets on locally found pebbles as shown here.

That gave slightly more storage space in the pot when it was packed.

esbit.jpg

Unfortunately I experimented with using the base with a Pepsi can stove and it melted the ali rim. :(

That one looks a little bit bigger and better made than mine was.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Looks like the one of the most glorified versions of this that I have ever seen.

I've used similar stoves to the one in the link and they're ok for boiling water but pretty crap for anything else imho. For your money I'd plump for a tin can and making a hobo stove spend the money on a pot

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The problem i find is the tablets themselves, i think brit hexi blocks are better, i use the german folding esbit cooker with hexi's blocks(folding esbit is tougher than the folding brit hexi cooker and a tad smaller) a decent small and lighweight brew up kit.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
A hobo stove does not serve my needs. When I want to use the stove its usually too cold for cylinder types and I don't want to haul liquid fuel hence something in solid tabs etc.
Jon R.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A hobo stove does not serve my needs. When I want to use the stove its usually too cold for cylinder types and I don't want to haul liquid fuel hence something in solid tabs etc.
Jon R.

Agree about the gas cans in winter failing, but half a litre of white gas in a small stove like a Nova will do you for a weekend? Wood as a fuel is a bonus for me, I always take something I can be sure to work in all honesty. Work out the weight of hauling fuel tabs enough to give you three square meals a day plus the stove and I doubt there is much in it.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
META that strikes a cord. Seem to remember you could grind it up and use it for killing slugs in the garden.
I am looking for a small stove to use in a Goose blind in Dec-Jan for a brew. Don;'t want to get smoked up,that and fuel would be under 2 feet of snow. I don't like the idea of liquid fuel maybe going up or spilling whilst sitting in a blind. I'm kind of fire shy around confined spaces and ammo etc.
Jon R.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
META that strikes a cord. Seem to remember you could grind it up and use it for killing slugs in the garden.

'Meta' fuel is metadehyde. It's got a much nicer smell than hexamine (hexamethyline tetramine, IIRC). Another fun thing to do with meta fuel is to place a bit on a piece of wood and press a heated poker on it (near red hot). The metaldehyde doesn't melt but goes straight into a gas (sublimes) it then rises and condenses into bulky fluffy 'snow'. A little goes a very long way and is quite spectacular!

Jim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'Meta' fuel is metadehyde. It's got a much nicer smell than hexamine (hexamethyline tetramine, IIRC). Another fun thing to do with meta fuel is to place a bit on a piece of wood and press a heated poker on it (near red hot). The metaldehyde doesn't melt but goes straight into a gas (sublimes) it then rises and condenses into bulky fluffy 'snow'. A little goes a very long way and is quite spectacular!

Jim

Meta fuel "was" I've still a half packet from way back when which we often used to light paraffin stoves.

The Esbit is no better a stove than a Hexi, take your pick of fuel, I've tried American Trioxine too, they are all OK for what they are.

Ok for boiling water, heating a rat pack, making a cup of tea etc. but not much else to be honest, still fun to use though:)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The Esbit is no better a stove than a Hexi, take your pick of fuel, I've tried American Trioxine too, they are all OK for what they are.

The Esbit is more compact and better made IMO. Where have you managed to get Trioxine?

Ok for boiling water, heating a rat pack, making a cup of tea etc. but not much else to be honest, still fun to use though:)

I fully agree!

A couple of years ago I had an ex WW2 hexamine stove. It was in a can - a bit like a large film can, and had round blocks of fuel and a tiny tripod that folded out. I auctioned it on Ebay and got a good price from a WW2 re-enacter.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE