Environment, Action and the Old Days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well for what it's worth, before I posted my initial post in this thread I thought long and hard knowing full well where I would draw the flak from, and I was 100% correct in my assumption. My waistline is the same as it always has been (32") and every day is a learning day, plus I haven't forgotten I was once young and stupid, now I'm old and stupid. Difference is I admit it and don't really care, or feel the need to let everyone know I'm a fully fledged expert on everything from dentistry to nuclear fission. Happy days, and enjoy the life ahead. :)
You have my sympathy for the shortage of good food. When I was there the food was quite good and in good supply. What changed?

Reactions: Janne

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I do apologise.........I thought I had posted in 'In the news today', and this was an item I spotted in the news today relating to wildlife, local wildlife, and incredibly rare and special.

Again, I'm sorry that you don't consider wildlife to be part of 'Bushcraft, but I do.
My apology, apart from the fact my comment was not to you, and I did add lol on the end, I thought a sense of humour was helpful in a light hearted thread

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In all subjects, such as politics, the environment, royalty, our rights etc.... assume the press is wrong, you are wrong, they are wrong … but there is a third truth. By polite discussion and exchange of ideas try to find the third truth.

That means questioning everything extremists, the press and media and even your friends say :)
Also question your own views, by examining how you formed them, on what evidence and whether they are still valid in the light of further experience.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am tossing a firebrand here / devils advocate:

We all know the negative outcome(s) of a warmer Earth.

But, what are the positive ones?
Large areas of Earth are hardly habitable due to cold. Southern South America, a large chunk of North America, Greenland, Northern part of Siberia.

These will warm up and become ( more) habitable.

The large swaths of desert ( hot area) will possibly grow, possibly shrink ( due to higher water content in the global atmosphere = more clouds = more precipitation).

I have always wondered this: during the latest Ice Age, Sahara was a very wet area with rivers, lakes, a multitude of animals.
During the same time, the areas just south of the ice sheet was inhabited by mega fauna. Siberia, an incredibly cold and hostile environment today, must have been warm enough to be lush, have summers long enough to sustain large herds of megafauna.
(Today, Reindeer need to migrate to forested areas from the Tundra because they can not find enough food there in winter.)

A couple of islands north of the Siberian Arctic coast, had a climate warm enough to make a viable population of mammoths survive several thousand of Millenia longer than on the mainland, until they died out around 2500 or so years ago.
How is that possible?

Do we know how the Earth looked like during the warmest part of the last interglacial period?

Last edited:

EffyGent

Sep 6, 2019
Vorarlberg, Austria
Interesting. I was thinking something similar last night - polar bear numbers are reported by some to be shrinking. But what is the optimum number of polar bears? If we don't know that, we don't know if the reduction is a good or a bad thing. Maybe previously there were fewer, because of the larger mammals preying on the bears.......

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
MOVED FROM
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/in-the-news-today.150983/page-4#post-1910845
I posted these because they were interesting and in the news. Perhaps I should have known that a factual post from the BBC about an environmental issue would generate 80 odd posts, most of which are anything but useful.

As has been suggested, I have moved all the resulting dross out of the News thread and into its own space. Had I not done this, anyone who was following the News thread for interesting news would probably have quit in disgust. I know how I felt when I came back and saw the action and explosion of posts...none posting up any new news.

If I wasn't a moderator I might be tempted to post in support of some views expressed here, or against others. However, I am a moderator, so the thing that bothers me isn't the opposing views, but rather the way that they have been expressed, and how expressing them took over a thread.

Predictable indeed.

**************************************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL POST:

Climate Change.
Gas used in high power electricity generation insulation 23,500 times more potent as a warming gas than CO2.
"...leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197

Hazel nut picking and child labour in Turkey....where your Nutella comes from.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49741675

I actually think my post about not believing anything you are told is as relevant in the news thread as it is here; but hey, you haver the power :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I actually think my post about not believing anything you are told is as relevant in the news thread as it is here; but hey, you haver the power :)

I agree that it would have been good in the News section. I think that my post that started all this would have been good in the News section too, but all the posts that followed mine, and the ones that gave rise to yours, did not follow on in a coherent way from what was left in News.

Power...yeah...roll on the day that this job can be done by AI! :borg2:

Reactions: Broch

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have seen them too. look really cool, but being old and whinging, what happened to the side impact protection?
You hit a 'gator head on, and the flailing tail will hurt you!
Hit an Extinction Rebellion protester, and if the placard does not hurt you, the dreadlocks will!!!
:)

Me and son decided when we saw the first one we would rent one next time. We always try something different.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting. I was thinking something similar last night - polar bear numbers are reported by some to be shrinking. But what is the optimum number of polar bears? If we don't know that, we don't know if the reduction is a good or a bad thing. Maybe previously there were fewer, because of the larger mammals preying on the bears.......

The polar bear is the largest bear in the world. I believe it’s also the largest land predator in the world although since they swim a lot I suppose sharks and orcas might prey on them.

EffyGent

Sep 6, 2019
Vorarlberg, Austria
:sigh: I'm not saying that numbers are reducing now because the bears being preyed upon. I'm saying maybe previously (as in, not now, but before now, as people seem to struggle with that term) their numbers were lower than they are now, for whatever reason. So a drop in numbers from the current levels might still be more than at other times in history.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:sigh: I'm not saying that numbers are reducing now because the bears being preyed upon. I'm saying maybe previously (as in, not now, but before now, as people seem to struggle with that term) their numbers were lower than they are now, for whatever reason. So a drop in numbers from the current levels might still be more than at other times in history.

At least in North America there have been a few cases of polar bears hybridization with grizzlies. Not many but a few. The prevailing thought is it’s due to the two species being pushed together by climate change as their ranges begin to overlap.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Must be them greedy Arctic Uber-Tigers, just can't snacking on those cute little Polar Bears lol:
Siberian tigers do indeed venture into the arctic. They occasionally swim the Bearing Straights into Alaska. But I don’t believe they’re big enough to take a grizz or a polar bear.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's hard to describe in words how big a prime polar bear is. 11' - 12' to nose tip, standing up?
Google polar bear watching in Churchill, Manitoba and compare the size of the people to the bears.

Alaskan Kodiak bear vs a Siberian Tiger? Maybe 5/4 odds to the bear. Gonna be a lot of blood spilled.
Polar bear vs Siberian Tiger? Maybe 5/4 odds to the Tiger.

Polar/Grizz bear hybrids? Yes, some have been analyzed.
One hypothesis is that the polar bears are being driven inshore by a lack of sea ice for seal hunting.

The bears are too much of a risk, even to the south here at 53N, to take tribes of kids out for a wilderness sleepover.
A tribe of kids is a BIG environmental hit for impact. Even the soil compression from foot steps. Spell "trail" for me.
That implies a great number of prepared sites, many of which will need to be rested.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
So how did people manage in the past?
surprisingly well. Depends on how far back you go I suppose. I had a much easier way of life 40 years ago working in the remote Scottish Highlands barely touched by consumerism (and electricity) didn't even have a phone. Gamekeepers used ponies instead of quad bikes, and I went to the nearest town once every other month. Ate a lot of fish and game.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE