English?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
If they put a uk flag the americans might refuse to buy their axes

response from a US knife nut on sheffield made knives
"ewww no.
I see a lot of Surgical Steel blades marketed under the Sheffield name."

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
tomtom said:
slightly off topic.. has anyone else noticed on the gransfors website there is an US flag above the English language option??????????? wasssthat all about then?? :yikes:

Makes sense to me. :nana:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I reckon the posts telling us all to lighten up have got it right - while reading top quality english can be a pleasure in itself, one of the reasons we log on is to enjoy the contributions and knowledge provided by the enthusiasts who populate this site. Personally I'm learning loads from all kinds of contributors..and I hope it continues :cheers:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
OK OK OK. This is weird. SOMEHOW I thought I was replying to tomtom and was actually editing his post. SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?: :?: :?: :wave: :wave:

I WROTE:
Around here, English is something you put on a cueball.

Not tomtom.

Wow, that was surreal... :shock:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im one of those people who insist on texting in full english...:eek:):

jakunen

Native
Yeah. I only use full English, even if it is mispelt at times.

I couldn't believe it when I heard about a school where they encourage kids to spell things how they think they sound and allow text-english to be used in school work.
How they expect these kids to get jobs in the real world if they don't know how to write properly I'll never know!:?:

Wud u hir an ofis werka hoo speld like this?

I think Professor Higgins had it right in My Fair Lady...

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The real worlds out there boys - 9 to 5, 7 - 11 pray it never finds you.

Cos the real world sucks!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I never understood text messaging. I mean you have a portable phone in your hand and then you proceed to develop arthritis by spending a couple of minutes tapping out something that could be said in a couple of seconds :?: I never text and come to that since mobile phones do not work down in our valley I never use the mobile except carrying for emergencies. I reckon it saves me around £350 per year and a good amount of sanity :wink:

And you realise that we do not officially speak 'English'! but something called 'British English' and we do not write 'English' either but 'Standard English' :)

Now, if you do not live in the British Isles then you may be surprised that people from different regions often do not understand much of what is spoken in other regions :eek:): And I am only half joking about that fact as this map illustrates... :wink:

Selected_languages_and_accents_of_the_british_isles2_rjl.jpg

Gary got it spot on when he said what is most important is that we understand each other regardless of txt or grammar or whatever. The ability to communicate clearly is one of our greatest assets out in the field.
The other great skill the British have is a thing called a great 'sense of humour' That is the true 'Lingua Franca' :lol:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
thats a bit of an over optemistic map.. that green circle in the bottom pretrudes in the Devon and is pretty much sits on my house.. there is acctually only about 3 cornish speakers!! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE