Drunk bafoon dry grinds my axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Use The Force Young Bushman :wink:

when you've cleaned up with the first grit .. i.e. can't see the damage, go to the next in an opposite direction ..... in other words .. start tip to toe . and then with the next grit, toe to tip ... and keep woking till you can't see the previous lines

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hold on, the place I suggested sells wet + dry for .47 inc vat and axminster is .53 inc vat so why are axminster better? Simon you monkey?

Bill

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
From where on the axe head do you start sharpening. Surely doing it from only the edge would not keep with the convex grind. I'm confused about what technique you use to sharpen it with the Hoodoo Hone ( yes i discovered the name:wink:).

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi,

I have all the bits ready to be assembled. I bought a pack of 10 assorted Wet'n'Dry sheets for £5.99 :yikes: from Halfords from 350 - 1200 grit.

Thanks for your help guys. :You_Rock_

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
OK well I have made one, and I have 400, 600, 800 and 1200 grit strips ready to sharpen away. My small, simple mind still cannot grasp the sharpening technique. This is what I think i have to do. Clamp the axe so the head is facing away from you, then working from the top corner of head push diagonally towards and away BUT NOT ONTO the edge and rotating the Hone slightly to take in the curvature. Do this until you can't see the damage any more then change over to the other side. Then, change to the 600 grit and so on.. Then strop. Please correct me if i have made any mistakes.

Do you have any pictures?

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
sounds like you've got it about right YB :) ... obviously you don't want to go right round the edge because you want to put an edge on the axe and not round it off ... I think once you actually get started you'll get in to the swing of it quite quickly

no pictures unfortunately as my digi cam had an accident ......
I'm reduced to scanning my knife work at the moment and it's gonna be tough for me to climb on the scanner with my vice and axe and operate photoshop at the same time ... I might fall off and hurt myself :eek:):

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
OK, Listen very carefully if you do not have a hoodoo hone MAKE ONE! YOU NEED NEVER BUY STONES AGAIN!. I have achieved a sharp edge although not razor, Halfords only do grit upto 1200 so is this not fine enough to achieve it? Do I need to go somewhere else to get a finer grit? I will post a picture of the technique I was using and suggestions on what I could do to get a sharper edge would be very helpful :wink: :) .

To show you how good the Hone is for Honing and Polishing an edge look here:

Before
100_0760.jpg

After:
100_0765.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Well done Scott :biggthump

If you strop the edge with some paste it will be like a razor. You've done the hard work it will just take a few passes on the strop (an old belt is great) to finish it.

Now keep it away from your brother and his mates :shock:

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE