English?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
y do ppl write like they r on a mobile phn on posts?

Can we ban it or install a plugin to correct this or simply throw things at people who do it? :f: :eek:T: :z: :eek:\\: :aargh4: :soapbox: :boot: :AR15firin :tw: :badputer: :yuck: :thumbs_do :hmmm: :smashfrea :slap:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Guys and gals on here come from lots of different places, and many people spell how they talk and say the words, expecially our bretheren from over seas, Y Diss ppl for t way dey type dude :?: :rolmao: :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, if someone is having problems with the language I have infinite patience because my grasp of other languages is nil... I just can't do it.

But, it's just lazy and that makes it a little rude really, it's like holding a conversation and the other person just drifts away at the end of each sentense because they can't be bothered. It just drives me nuts because it's so normal and acceptable to be lazy. And it takes three passes for me to understand it so it's being lazy at my expense.

And another thing *shakes fist* :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It takes more time for me to write in mobile language than normal english like right now. :roll: So i'll continue the normal english. :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I think you make a good point Squidders - the purpose of posting on the forum is to communicate and the burden of being clear is initially on the poster. However, I don't think that anyone can come up with any rules to control this or banning those that use it "txt speak".

Remember, each an every member has the power not to read a post, to ignore members who they don't feel contribute anything valuable (the opposite of a buddy list) and to give positive and negative reputation.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Just an observation, but a lot of foreign language speakers may not be able to read txt spk posts at all, which just adds to the rudeness of using it...

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I don't use "txt talk"...my posts may look like I do, but thats sheer bad spelling on my part! :eek:):

But if txt talk is not correct English, what about the little Smilies?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Consider this quote by "Siegfried Farnon" (Robert Hardy) when admonishing his brother "Tristan" during an episode of "All Creatures Great and Small" who had been trying to avoid providing a clear answer to a question:

"...English is the richest language in the world; every delicate nuance of the human condition is capable of the most exact and subtle definition....."

With thanks to James Herriot....we've no excuses.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I totally agree about the txt talk. I'm sure I spend longer trying to decipher it than it takes to write it !!

As to the little smilies(Emoticons), I find them helpful when replying to posts, because I can say one thing as a joke and without the benefit of a :lol: some people may think I'm serious :nono: see what i mean? they are a modern addition to grammar and help in these short replies.

Cheers,

Martin

p.s. if all else fails there is a spellcheck button added to this page right next to the preview button when you reply to a post. (Very useful when you've had a few sherberts like i've just had !!!)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I refuse to accept "txt talk" on msn. I can see the point on a phone where you only have 10keys to enter words but come on. It's not slow to type in normal english. I know my spelling isn't up to much but I make an effort.

it's the though that counts guys (and gals)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE