English?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
AS LONG AS ITS UNDERSTANDABLE WHO CARES HOW YOU WRITE?

Surely people have better things to worry about? And if they dont ---- well lucky you!

Or will their next be a ban on people with Essex accents --------- ooooooooerrrr thats me.............

Some of us havent had the privilage of higher education, myself for instance I was dragged through school kicking and screaming and then joined the army at 16 - I never spent 'years' a uni, instead I choose to work for a living and there are probably more than a few members who come from a similar background. The youth of today are the future, many of them type txt style as its in the culture. These are the people we should be encouraging into 'the craft' not looking down our noses at and discouraging or is bushcraft only for white middle class well to do types? - I think we would be wrong to ban txt type ect however we should also encourage people to learn to write properly because its ****** annoying if they dont!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
its not a question of education.

The problem is that I cant understand the question if its written in text lingo.

i dont care if you cant spell (neither can I) or if the grammer is wrong (Grammer whats that !!).

As long as it is some kind of english.

This is the above message in txt:

itz not a :-Q of edu d prob iz dat I cnt undRstNd d :-Q f itz RitN n txt lingo i dun cAR f U cnt spL (nIthR cn I) o f d grammer iz wrng (Grammer wotz dat !!) az lng az it iz som kind of eng.

you tell me which is easier to understand !!!!!!

you can use it if you like but you wont get an answer from me because I wont have a clue what your on about !!

(for those of you who are wondering how i wrote in txt if i dont understand it see www.transl8it.com Which i use to work out what on earth my youngest brother is on about)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
As I said - AS LONG AS ITS UNDERSTANDABLE WHO CARES!! :wink:

BTW - I have a teenage daughter and that was perfectly readable to me! :nana:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
We should care because txt typing is an affectation when used on a forum. As such it drives me nuts :rant: I can't shake the idea that people that use such language are air heads.

It is arguable that it has a place in chat, but I find that it takes me as long to think how to shorten a word as it would have to have typed the whole thing.

The worst people that I know for txt tlk have been at university, or are there now. I don't think it has a thing to do with poor educational background, and everything to do with being lazy and putting on an air.

I don't think that we should ban text typing, but as a group I think we should express disaproval or even outright derision of its use. Anyone who is educated enough to use a mobile phone, a computer, navigate the internet, and have something meaningful to say on here should be expected to type properly (typos and random grammar excepted :lol: )

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Er can anyone point me to one of these totally unreadable posts that seem to be causing a problem, and people cant read? :?: thats a totaly extreme case of text talk Stu and if someone posted that sort of thing im sure it would be moderated. I cant see a problem with one or two abbreviations or miss spellings, lets get real and have a big :hug: and get on with our Bushcraft chatter :naughty:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I'm with Gary.

No one has ever written in the kind of language Stuart translated above on this forum. Some people can not spell very well and maybe that looks like they are changing words.

It is a pet hate that you don't like txt language but it is not an issue on this forum and it will be a sad day if you feel the need to ban it and exclude some people who otherwise might learn from this place.

Now get me talking about bad driving and parking and I am all in favour of cutting peoples hands off so they can never drive again (see what I mean about pet hates).

Bill

Oh one more thing, if it is so offensive why don't you guys refer to it as TEXT language :rolmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Guys and girls,

I didn't mean to start a jihad about txt speak... Or actually try to ban it (although the plague of locusts is tempting).

Basically, I don't want to be held accountable :wink:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry.... :roll: I can't say that I have seen anything all that bad here.

I was just enjoying a good, cleansing rant about a pet peeve :eek:): but you are right, not really an issue.

The plague of locusts had me laughing, though for parking I would rather just disappear the offending car :lol:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Squidders said:
Can we ban it or install a plugin to correct this or simply throw things at people who do it?

I didn't make it up Joe started the discussion asking if we could ban txt speak I was just trying to point out that it was a bit much to ban it.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
slightly off topic.. has anyone else noticed on the gransfors website there is an US flag above the English language option??????????? wasssthat all about then?? :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE