Emergency Tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I agree that fiddly when frozen is a problem. But lighting tinder with the spark-lite is every bit as easy as lighting a lighter, and once the tinder is alight it doesn't need to be kept alight, it does that all by itself.

M

My question is though, how easy would that kit be to use in a real emergency? Can it be used while shivering uncontrollably with really cold hands that struggle to do anything? That could easily happen after a tumble into a cold Loch, a swim to shore and then the time to gather fuel.

t's at that point when accessibility and ease of use could become a potential lifesaver.

An ideal emergency firelighter would be quicky accessible, waterproof, operable with injuriess and straight to flame so that it can be placed under a fuel stack as quickly as posible.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
An ideal emergency firelighter would be quicky accessible, waterproof, operable with injuriess and straight to flame so that it can be placed under a fuel stack as quickly as posible.

In that case, wouldn't something similar a light stick be best? I.e. something you just have to break and it'll light and burn for a while. No idea if such a thing exists but if it was a genuine emergency.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a small tin with 4 birthday candles, one tea light, two hexy tabs and the rest of the space packed with cotton wool. On the outside to keep it closed is a piece of innertube, ought to be able to get a fire out of that one way or another. I find cotton wool takes a spark very easily. High winds and cold hands are always a bugger though.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I disagree Joonsy. If I rely on matches I rely on being able to keep them (and their sparker) dry enough to work. Even the phosphorous ones need care...they rot like ferro rods do.
Similarly if I rely on a lighter to get a flame, I need to make sure that it simply cannot leak

if you rely on prepared tinder you also need to rely on keeping that dry to work too :rolleyes:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that :) some people worry about gas lighters like a clipper accidentally losing their fuel. I used to feel the same myself until I realised it had actually never happened to me and I’ve been using them for about thirty years for work as well as pleasure, I am referring to accidentally losing fuel not losing it in normal use, I always refill prior to going out. I think the worry is unfounded. Also I never only take one, I carry one in my pocket and one in a small dry bag with other stuff, therefore in the unlikely event one actually ceases to work I have the other, if I am on a trip for more than a few days I will take three, four mini clipper lighters or three standard sized ones weigh about the same as one standard size ferro rod. I like to experiment with different firemaking methods/materials but that is just for fun, my reply to op was referring to a genuine real emergency. ATB. :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Blastmatch is supposed to be operable with one hand, I have never tried one though. If you are that desperate though you can hold a ferro rod in your teeth and strike sparks with one hand, might need a bit of practice to direct the sparks though but it is possible, I have just done it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Prepared tinder is easier kept than a lighter, and the permeated waxy stuff is water repellant.

It's one of those what can you use easiest, things I suspect. Long term, no fuss, no bother, it'll work ; then the tinder works for me.
If I have nothing but what's around me I can make fire, but for quick and easy, there's nothing natural that will do it in seconds here when it's wet.

The blastmatch I found to be clumsy, bulky, and it still needed something to catch the sparks.
It does work, but I gave mine to my bother :) and I have spark-lites and tinder in both grab bag and tinder kit.

I'm truthfully not generally a fan of gadgets, but this one works very well indeed and has proven fuss free and reliable.

I do carry lighters; a peanut one on my keyring, and another (turboflame) in my tinder kit, but I have to mind and check the fuel in them, and I don't bother fussing with the spark-lite because I know it's always ready.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In that case, wouldn't something similar a light stick be best? I.e. something you just have to break and it'll light and burn for a while. No idea if such a thing exists but if it was a genuine emergency.

Yes, something like that would be ideal IMO too. Pretty sure that don't exist commercially but would love to be proved wrong. I think a distress flare comes closest I think but have their drawbacks.

@Laurentius- would you still be able to do that with chattering teeth? Enough dexterity or mental capacity to do that with onsetting hypothermia or shock?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Prepared tinder is easier kept than a lighter.

I do carry lighters; a peanut one on my keyring, and another in my tinder kit, but I have to mind and check the fuel in them, and I don't bother fussing with the spark-lite because I know it's always ready.

cheers,
M
Peanut lighter on a keyring is certainly handy and the O ring does a good job of keeping the fuel from evaporating. Not very good in the wind though, unlike a Zippo.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As said in t'other thread i think it's a risky practice to rely on a fire for a emergency heat source, far better to have a extra fleece pullover in your backpack.

Problem with relying on fire is will there be fuel to burn and can you get a fire started.

Saying that if anyone needs any 1 handed fire starting method testing let me know, i only have 1 working arm so will be happy to try.

The blast match is easy with one hand.
Two ways you can use it
1/ Have the fire rid resting in the tinder and push down
This is not ideal as it tends to move the tinder and you need a steady surface or it move

2/ You can place your finger on the end of the fire rod and push it in.
This is the best method in my experience as you can direct the sparks easier and you are not moving your tinder.

I've seen folks carry emergency flares, can't help but think if something is even remotely flammable then a flare is going to ignite it.

If i felt fire was going to be essential and knew 100% there would be fuel to burn then i think you'd struggle to find something as reliable and light weight as a candle.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
I know many people like to light fire using traditional bushcraft methods like firesteel or bowdrill, vaseline-on-cotton-balls, but since the OP is talking about an emergency, what about having a couple of these in your pack if you are out in conditions where being dunked in water/getting really cold is a possibility?

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...3zZbKwQ8Q1RwUNLKjMRoG3o8mm3OHyBO7bRoCmcfw_wcB

OK they are not very environmentally friendly but they are waterproof and generally tend to light well and burn long and hot. I'd never light a fire with them out of choice but in an emergency thay might be worth having...

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
the strange thing is this emergency and the need for fire happens and you NEED to have this kit with you at the end. Water to put out a fire might be needed more. :)

what about magnesium?! creating shavings with cold/wet fingers might be tricky but once it burns...
a friend of mine came up with the idea of wrapping matches behind the head with wax-soaked cattail fluff- works like a mini candle with in-built ignition BUT wax products can melt in hot temperatures and leave a mess in your kit...
i've used bike tube with success even in North Australian Wet Season; another possible starter is gun powder- a small amount on your tinder and all you need is a spark... (just make sure to take it out of your pack before boarding a plane!: once i realized i still had the filmbox half full in my pocket from my last trip-- which i discovered AFTER passing the security checks and the ""usual VIP treatment"" from customsNZ :yikes: )

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a number of things...

- Old egg box card soaked in wax... works a treat - I cut them in to inch squres.. small and flat packs in any space.. also can be rolled and used for a candle at a push.... but that depends on size
- the large straws from fast food outlets for the thick shakes, cut to short lengths, stuff with vasiline and cotton wool.. seal the ends with heat.. so to make a small capsle
- soak some old wood in veg oil for a few days... home made fat wood

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I know you said your putting a kit together for an emergency, you would like to put tinder in it, "BUT" for an emergency kit, it needs to be on your belt when you loose all your other kit, and contain a small knife for when you loose that too.

food for thought....

as to your OP, have you ever tried chemical fire lighting?????? potassium permanganate and glycerine will light very well burn hot and get some tinder going for sure, the potassium can be used for treating water to make it safe to drink and can also be used as an anti fungal treatment and wound cleaner when mixed with water. the glycerine can also be used as emergency food calories if needed.

but again the only full proof way to get fire is to carry fuel with you, a jet boil is awesome and the only reason my mate is still alive today after getting in the brown stuff when on a long distance bike ride in the Scottish Mountains.

best of luck with the kit and dont forget to practice with it before you need it....;)

regards.

Chris

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A little bottle of meths makes it a doddle to set light to anything.

I always carry at least a contact lens solution bottle full.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thanks to a friendly member of this forum I have some tinder quik to experiment with. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE