Emergency Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
We all enjoy the various extreme survival programmes showing what to do when caught out in the desert or Arctic Circle but 99% of us are never going to be in these situations.

Far more likley ( for me personally ) are the following two scenarios.

Scenario 1

Out for a hike in mid February couple of hours before darkness and about an hour from the car.You stumble and twist an ankle with no chance of making it back before dark.
Its growing cold with a steady drizzle, broad leaf woodland no handy spruce to make a shelter or matress, plenty of fire wood but all the leaves are wet and decayed. What next??

Scenario 2

Hiking on the Yorkshire Fells. A heavy fog suddenly drops and visibility is so bad you don't feel confident enough to carry on safely. No trees around just rough grass.
No obvious fuel for fires.

Given that in both situations you are only out for a day hike, travelling light and not planning to spend the night out, How would you go about a shelter for the night (and fire in Scene 2) and what would you take with you in the way of emergency kit to enable this ???

Discuss :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
One of the large orange emergency bags?
I've a ripstop nylon poncho that packs small and light. Its an old tip, but replacing your bootlaces with longer pieces of paracord works.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I pretty much always have my Crusader / cooker / mini-stove setup, so fire isn't necessarily a problem, assuming you've got food and /or the makings of a brew - and if I've got the cooker, I've always got at least the makings of a brew. And I also pretty much always have at least a mylar survival bag, and I usually have a tarp... Not enough for a comfortable night, but it should be enough to keep you alive.

If you're out on the hills, you should have at least basic survival equipment for precisely these situations. Bushcraft skills are all very well, but I wouldn't want to rely on them in case of injury. If you can't walk, making a natural shelter or even just collecting firewood is pretty tough.

Scenario 2 also shouldn't really happen - you should (ideally) always know where you are and have the tools and skills to navigate in zero vis. Not that I've ever actually tested that... ;)

Actually, now I think about it, in scenario 1 your best bet is probably to improvise a crutch and make for the car. You might not make it before dark, but you've got a torch, right? However, a broken ankle would probably be a different matter.

I don't think either scenario would stop me from heading back to the car. If I felt a bit of heavy fog was gonna stop me I wouldn't be in that situation. If my ankle was too bad to walk crawl back after starapping it up and taking some serious painkillers and I was out of mobile recpeption to call my wife/help. I'd use one of these to get through the night.

I ALWAYS have one in my pack although origonally I bought it for the canoe...

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/pro...urvival_tube/8563423251f30178deecbd085b7473f9

but it goes without saying you would move to a sheltered spot whether dyke, depression whatever...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
FAC, waterproofs, headtorch, mobile phone, survival bag, micro stove/hexi blocks, spare food, map, compass,leatherman, spare warmwear: all you need for multiple answers for 1 and 2 and should be found in a hillwalkers kit for a day stroll. A hillwalking "go pack" will normally fit in a 20l rucksack and weigh very little.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
FAC, waterproofs, headtorch, mobile phone, survival bag, micro stove/hexi blocks, spare food, map, compass,leatherman, spare warmwear: all you need for multiple answers for 1 and 2 and should be found in a hillwalkers kit for a day stroll. A hillwalking "go pack" will normally fit in a 20l rucksack and weigh very little.

Hear, hear!

Without this most basic of kit you should not be out on the hills / dales. At least if the worst does happen, you have enough kit to deal with it.

I have taken it one stage further with my school groups, in that everybody carries their emergency kit (FAK, survival bag etc) in the top lid pocket of their rucksac - that way it does not matter who is injured, we all know where to find the kit needed.

In addition it is important for everybody in the group to know what to do if the wheel comes off. I teach all my pupils basic emergency procedures before we set off, and then reinforce the theory with scenarios when we are out and about..."What would you do if ...?"

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I don't think either scenario would stop me from heading back to the car. If I felt a bit of heavy fog was gonna stop me I wouldn't be in that situation. If my ankle was too bad to walk crawl back after starapping it up and taking some serious painkillers and I was out of mobile recpeption to call my wife/help. I'd use one of these to get through the night.

I ALWAYS have one in my pack although origonally I bought it for the canoe...

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/pro...urvival_tube/8563423251f30178deecbd085b7473f9

but it goes without saying you would move to a sheltered spot whether dyke, depression whatever...

I'd agree with w00dsmoke here. In neither scenario would I want to stay out, both should be within the capability for someone with appropriate experience to handle. The deterioration that would take affect with an overnight stop by someone not prepared for it would outweigh the inconvenience of a sprained ankle or a fog. Noone should be out without some form of emergengy backup thesedays. A mobile at the very least.:naughty:

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I take the point of heading back to the car at all costs. But it was more a hyperthetical
question of, if you were forced with no other option to spend a night out like this, what steps would you take for shelter ???

wOOdsmoke's Blizzard bag with a tarp would be a useful combination.

EdS

orange bag and space blanket, that will se you through a night.

In situation DO NOT go into the woods if you are not there - take it from me it is an absolute nightmare for a Rescue team to search woodlands for missing/injured people. I've walked within 5 metres of casualties and not see them.

Scene 2 the same and sit it out.

In both. Let someone know your route and ETA. Makes life easier if we are searching a known area. If you have mobile call the police and let them know the score - give a grid ref if possible. They'll give us a call.

For the Dales Vodafone have the best reception.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Assuming you had the basic hillwalking tackle with you then there`s no reason to die when out in the hills.

For scenario 1 a debris shelter should do the trick as long as its sited well and you make the most of any natural features to be found too. Given that it`s broadleaf woodland then there should be plenty of materials lying about.

Scenario 2 is perhaps a little more tricky, but I personally would try at least to find any available windbreak such as a wall or large rock etc and then just sit out the fog. If you`ve got some sensible hill walking gear with you then it should be possible to stay warm and dry.

As I said before there`s no reason to die whilst out on any British countryside as long as you`ve got the basics right before you set out.

Rich

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One of the large orange emergency bags?
I've a ripstop nylon poncho that packs small and light. Its an old tip, but replacing your bootlaces with longer pieces of paracord works.

The cheap orange emergency bags are great, cheap, cheerful and will do the job in either situation and without a sleeping bag will be warmer than a tarp setup. You do take emergency food with you, like lots of chocolate, nuts plus water ?

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
. You do take emergency food with you, like lots of chocolate, nuts plus water ?

Yes I always take a couple of mars bars, a few cup-a-soups, water & brew kit .

My ponderings were that on these documentries we see people stranded in extreme circumstances with sadly inadaquate gear for their environment when the worst suddenly befalls them.

If the worst suddenly befell one of us in the UK would we be ready for a night out .Or would we be caught off guard thinking it will never happen to me in England and rely on a mobile or GPS only to find they're not the saviour we thought.

It struck me as interesting to find out perhaps what basic things we could take for shelter in this (hopfully never to happen) situation

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
For scenario 1 a debris shelter should do the trick as long as its sited well and you make the most of any natural features to be found too. Given that it`s broadleaf woodland then there should be plenty of materials lying about.

Scenario 2 is perhaps a little more tricky, but I personally would try at least to find any available windbreak such as a wall or large rock etc and then just sit out the fog. If you`ve got some sensible hill walking gear with you then it should be possible to stay warm and dry.

Rich

Dont Know if you could build a leaf shelter around here most of them are practically decomposed now.

The drystone wall with a tarp or poncho tied against it would keep you sheltered and dry

Maybe a sheep just for warmth :rolleyes: :eek: :joke:

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
A folding spade carried does not weigh much also on the lightweight side is a 58 ptn poncho.
I carry these with me on most fell walks(or used to before i got ill)

You break a leg or twist your ankle you can dig a trench/ditch that will get you out of the wind(big factor)

The poncho can be used as a tarp also to cover the trench.

You are then out of the wind and rain so thats two major problems coverd.
Any natural material close to hand will aid in insultion from the floor and the same can be piled over you to reatain heat.

Its not fashion but it just might see you throught to the next day where if you had left a route plan and time of return with a trusted person help should be on its way.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
An hour from the car = approx 3 k from the car on good legs, I would imagine 3-5 hours on a bad ankle. You should have a pack with the right gear ( just in case ), I think I would sit it out and make the best of it as I could as I never go on treks without someone knowing where, route times etc.

I once while being in the middle of nowhere in snow and ice car broke down, warmer outside then in the car, used a combo of car seat foam and material to make a bed and very bad bivi for the night with boot carpet as a bed base. Replaced the car seat ( rear ) at a breakers soon after but, I am still here to tell you.

In a bad situation you would not believe what can be acomplished with a bit of ingenuity and a will to survive.

Nowadays I am always prepared, ( all be it inexperienced at bushcraft )the frame of mind will win, think you will perish and you probably will........

Don

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
In a bad situation you would not believe what can be acomplished with a bit of ingenuity and a will to survive.

the frame of mind will win, think you will perish and you probably will........

Don

Dude thats the most bushcraft sense ive read on the internet in a long time.

I would like to say a few words of my own wisdom but ive drank far too much so i shall save it for another day.

Before going out on the hills, you "should" have prepared a route card with an estimated return time, and left a copy with a relative/friend and a copy with the local police. If you don't make it back on time, someone will come looking for you. if you find yourself in an emergency situation, stay put. Don't go wandering around. All you really need are an emergency sleeping bag (orange type), a space blanket, first aid kit, a whistle and a torch that you can flash on and off. A mobile phone is also good to have as is extra water. You will not die of starvation in one night so you don't really need food. In either situation, as long as you can get out of the wind, either in the lee of a tree or behind a large rock or whatever then the space balnket and orange bag should see you through the night.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar

Bang on. Regarding food some folks tape a mars bar into their rucksack lid to save having to remember extra food - I use Kendal mintcake since the mars bar seemed to get eaten too regularly! The other thing, I much prefer a small bothy bag in preferance to a survival bag... unless there's snow and you think you might fancy some tobogganing of course ;)
The blizzard bag IMO can also be a lifesaver.

Scenario 1, a few k from the car, if the terrain allowed it I'd try to get down using my headtorch. If not, stick the night out and get down in the morning. Wouldn't want to drag the local MRT out of the pub on a cold dreary evening like that ;)

Scenario 2, please don't take this the wrong way, but if that's the case, what're you doing in the hills? :S

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
The origional question does not state what kit you had or did not have with you in your cinario, what would you do if walking with just you, nothing else but you?????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE