Emergency Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
technically the question was "only out for a day hike, travelling light and not planning to spend the night out, How would you go about a shelter for the night (and fire in Scene 2) and what would you take with you in the way of emergency kit to enable this ???"

That's the kit I'd be carrying, and that's the solution I'd take :)

Without the kit (not going to happen) I should image I could still get back in Scenario 1 (aid of walking poles - if not perhaps try to find some poles to cut).
Scenario 2 - without any kit and without the option of moving what options are there? You can sit there and wait for the weather to improve (cold and miserable - how long until hypothermia?), or you can get on the phone, admit to being very irresponsible, and let a MRT find you. The answer is A improve nav skills beforehand and B carry kit

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Thinking about it in #2 you could try to make a windbreak using grass / turf, perhaps incorporating your rucksack. Or if it was particularly cold and damp, use your rucksack as a giant hat - ie get as much of your upper body in it as possible to maintain warmth?

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
The origional question does not state what kit you had or did not have with you in your cinario, what would you do if walking with just you, nothing else but you?????

Both the scenarios are fictional. but the question was posed with exactly what you've said in mind
"What kit would you carry when out on a hike for an emergency shelter or how would you build one in barren misserable circumstances if left with no choice but spend a night out"

Incidently (and I dont know any circumstances) but it was on National radio this morning that a woman was reported as being missing hill walking.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmmmmm...why are we not carrying a mountain shelter like this: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/outdoor_designs_mountain_shelters/?

There is lots of talk of building shelters, using tarps and orange plastic bags but mountain shelters are designed specifically for emergency use, work incredibly well and weigh very little.

It is all very well practicing for emergency situations (and should be encouraged) but when you are out walking in an area where you may find it difficult to get back to a vehicle/transport, or where the weather is very changeable, it is irresponsible not to have an emergency shelter that can be instantly used to protect a casualty.

In the time it takes to put together a leaf/debris shelter, pitch a tarp - construct anything for that matter - a casualty's condition can degrade, progress into shock, etc.

If you are serious about being out in the outdoors, there is no shame in carrying an instant shelter that could save your life. A very small gas cooker would also be a great idea to provide an instant form of heat/water heating.

In a good mountain shelter, with more than one of you, heat is retained and, despite the weather outside, they can be quite comfy with a window to check the weather and plenty of ventilation.

I for one do not have the confidence yet to be able to go out into the woods or the moors and survive on nothing but my wits. So, I carry a mountain shelter as insurance. Ask anyone you know in an MRT - these are lifesavers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These shelters are the biz for GROUP use but are more like sails for solo use!:D
I tried using one built for group use in the Atlas mnts when the airline left my bergan in Limbo and I had to rely on only what I could scrounge from the rest of the team.
Controling the fabric in any kind of breeze was very difficult. I ended up mainly using it as gound insulation and using a bivi bag as my only real shelter. An 2 man orange poly bag survival gag and a foam sit mat would have been just as good in the cold dry breezy conditions.
I say 2 man as this alows you more room to get comfy amoungst tussocks, get your gear inside to hold the fabric off you and gives more venting oportunities.
The blizzard sleeping bags are excellent as well and very compact. They are so noisy recuers can HEAR YOU as well as see you!:lmao:

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I always carry a tarp or poncho when out for a day hike plus an AMK Heatsheet. I usually have a trash bag or two in my pack too.

The tarp or poncho can be rigged to shelter from wind and rain, the trash bags and heatsheet provide for insulation and warmth.

While I have never been to the beautiful UK, I may be misguided in this question about the trench. I understand that a trench can get you out of the wind, but wouldn't it be colder in a trench than on a thick bunch of debris above ground? Especially if you have something to keep the wind off you. Rain can run under the debris pile too, but could run into the trench.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I take the point of heading back to the car at all costs. But it was more a hyperthetical
question of, if you were forced with no other option to spend a night out like this, what steps would you take for shelter ???

a very basic shelter that would see you ok for 24hrs dig a scrape in the ground the length and width of your body line it with leafs or ground foliage use the same to cover you not pleasant but it will keep you alive

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Hmmmmm...why are we not carrying a mountain shelter like this: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/outdoor_designs_mountain_shelters/?

Sorry I havent been involved in my own thread for a while, I've had no connection.

These seem a fantastic thing to carry and I fully agree with the the sentiments expressed.

Its no use be suffering trying to live off your wits
these shelters of Mikey P's seem the perfect thing for potential difficulties.

I'll be ordering one soon, incidently what weight are are they ??

If they are light enough to carry pretty much all the time then I think this answers my question

The ultimate emergency , unavoidable night out, shelter in any scenario

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE