Emergency grab bag with toddler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 15, 2019
Kent
A little while ago there was a recommendation that everyone should have an emergency grab bag. So one puts together a large rucksack and fills it with all the gear that could be essential to survive, but then you've also got to pack for your young toddler. What do you pack?
Now say said emergency happens and you grab your bag, then you grab your toddler (whom can't walk very far). Do you carry them in a sling on your front or make something up to carry them on your back?

Reactions: Le Loup
A little while ago there was a recommendation that everyone should have an emergency grab bag. So one puts together a large rucksack and fills it with all the gear that could be essential to survive, but then you've also got to pack for your young toddler. What do you pack?
Now say said emergency happens and you grab your bag, then you grab your toddler (whom can't walk very far). Do you carry them in a sling on your front or make something up to carry them on your back?
If there are two adults, then one carries the child, & the other carries the pack. If you are the only adult, then you are going to have to carry both in one way or another, UNLESS, you purchase a hiking trolley, or use a pram. There are some decent "off road" type prams/pushers with larger wheels. We used one of these for our grandchildren when they were younger, as we live off grid in a forest. These pushers usually have pockets to carry baby items which will give you more room in your pack. They are relatively light & will fold for carrying or transporting. When the child wishes to walk, you can put your pack in the trolley.
What do you pack?
Spare clothing, nappies, wipes, foods, drinks. Personal medications if any. Cuddly bed toy if any. Favourite book. Spare dummy if in use.
LABAN-2-back-pack.jpg

When they get to be more mobile, they can carry their own pack :) This is one of my sons, who is now an adult with his own family.
Keith.
My video channel.

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Traditionally Americans head to the mountains. In the BI that would not make much sense though. The same in a lot of other places, like here there no mountains in the south and the ones in the north are meters deep in snow and a fairly tough environment.

So I took a few books and scooted to the cabin on a lake.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Traditionally Americans head to the mountains. In the BI that would not make much sense though. The same in a lot of other places, like here there no mountains in the south and the ones in the north are meters deep in snow and a fairly tough environment.

So I took a few books and scooted to the cabin on a lake.
Actually that depends on what part of America and what we’re fleeing. In my part of the country that would be hurricanes and the destination would be anywhere further inland and away from the flood zone. Preferably to a relative‘s home or alternatively to a shelter.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The current situation is more about hunkering down than leaving but the basics are the same in either case:
-Food= non perishable for adults, formula for infants, dry or tinned for pets (and don’t forget a non electric can opener (preferably a roller type) and don’t forget suitable snacks that everybody actually likes
-Water (less important to stock in this situation where the taps are likely to be uninterupted)
-A three week supply of meds = both Rx and OTC (Also less important if resupply is likely to,be uninterupted)
-Diapers
-Toys, games, etc. to keep the toddler occupied
-Suitable clothing for the area and season
-Blankets or sleeping bags (if actually evacuating rather than hunkering down then add mats or air mattresses)

I suppose a more important question would be where are we all going to run to?
Well there was a time when I could have given you some ideas as to where to go, but I left the UK because it was changing such a lot, & it will be a lot different again now since I was living there. I hear that Scotland still has some wild places.
I came to Australia, worked hard, long hours, saved & bought land. Now I am retired & living off grid in my own forest. You need to go somewhere where there are no other people, where there is water & game. You also need it to be in a forest or woodland, out in the open on a mountain in south Wales with no trees is not the best! Great fun when you are a kid, but no good for constructing a good shelter & staying hidden.
Keith.
My Video Channel.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Hi , I'm going to suggest you keep it simple and pragmatic. Most likely if you do need a Grab bag its for the purpose of extricating yourself and your beloved out of the area at speed. That means not loading yourself down with unnecessary items more dedicated to fantasies of living in the wild long term.

You want ENOUGH IMPORTANT items to get you off of the X in short order. Does your toddler require any special medication? Special Foods? Important documentation . Keep it in the real world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE