Electric smoker keeps tripping fuse box????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just bought a Brinkmann 810-7080-7 Gourmet Electric Smoker and Grill from the US to use in the UK I have changed the US plug over to a UK 13Amp three pin plug and every time I plug it in the house main fuse keeps turning off a few second in. I have tried putting it through an extension lead and plugged straight into the socket but each time the house main fuse trips what am I doing wrong?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just bought a Brinkmann 810-7080-7 Gourmet Electric Smoker and Grill from the US to use in the UK I have changed the US plug over to a UK 13Amp three pin plug and every time I plug it in the house main fuse keeps turning off a few second in. I have tried putting it through an extension lead and plugged straight into the socket but each time the house main fuse trips what am I doing wrong?

please don't be offended by this...but.......you have wired the plug up correctly haven't you?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Yes the plug is wired corectly (the 2nd time around D'Oh!) So looks like i need to buy a converter and a new US plug after cutting the old one off to fit a UK plug. :cussing::banghead:

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Hopfuly now sorted bought the converter Southey pointed out and just found company selling rewireble US plugs. But looks like it will be used for cold smoking untill i get it set back up again.

Always wanderd why i was never much good with electrics.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Unfortunately you can't just swap the plugs around. Converter should do the job. How long did it run for before it tripped the switch? fingers crossed it's not done any damage to the product.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
It only ran for less than 30 Secs before it kept tripping out. Give me a motorbike engine to tinker with not a problem but me and Electrics seem to be opposing forces.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It only ran for less than 30 Secs before it kept tripping out. Give me a motorbike engine to tinker with not a problem but me and Electrics seem to be opposing forces.

Unless it is designed to run from more than one voltage it will be a minor miracle if you haven't destroyed it.

There will be a plate on it somewhere telling you what voltage(s) it is designed for. Some equipment can run from a wide range of voltages without any adjustments. Some may for example need a switch setting to be changed when you change the voltage.

Power is voltage squared divided by resistance.
You slightly more than doubled the voltage that it was expecting, which means that you pumped four times the power into it that it was expecting.
That probably means that it got a LOT hotter than it was designed to get.
You can see where this is going...

I think even if it still seems to work it must now be considered potentially dangerous. It could cause a fire and it could represent a serious risk of electric shock.

I would recommend that you scrap it and get another one.

I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thankfully i dont think it ever got hot enough before it tripped out.
It would just about start getting hot then trip.
We shall see once i get all the parts together otherwise it could be a costly cock up.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
........I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer.

and as such i worry too much.......................

grown a pair,
plug it in,
see what happens!

good times :)

HTH

stuart

p.s. for the love of all that's holy, please realise that my post is meant in jest. if you don't know what you're doing with electricity, then leave it the hell alone. the tiniest number of volts can kill you, as can the tiniest number of amps, as can the tiniest number of watts. it really is all relative, and if you need someone to explain to you how exactly it is relative......leave it the hell alone!!!!!!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Power (watts) is V x I

Grendel I'm local to you and also an electrician, pop it round and I will check it out for you.
As for using it you will need to get a stepdown transformer, the yellow ones you get from the hire shops can do but that is a bit of an overkill ;-)

Seriously though unless it has a voltage selector switch it will need some work to make it usable in the UK.
If THIS is the unit you have then it's a very simple bit of kit but not very safe as it is just a heater element and lead no on/off switch or safety thermostat going by the images.
Also in the UK the body of the unit needs to be earthed unless the element unit is double insulated. This is normally shown somewhere as a square within a square.

The good side of this all you would need to do is replace the element to a 240v unit just making sure it's the correct wattage but earth protection or possible lack of is a concern.

As for tripping the electrics, if you had wired it wrong swapping phase and neutral would not matter, unless there is some protection circuit or you actually wired the unit to the earth pin on the plug.

Now for voltage, current and watts

The unit is rated at 1500w @ 120v this means that it has a current rating of 12.5A now divide voltage by amps to give a resistance of 9.6ohm
Now we can look at the UK standard, in the UK we have been reducing our voltage over the years and the wiring regulations now state we have a nominal voltage of 230v and not 240v as we used to have (originally it had been as high as 250v).
The reduction in voltage is to save power and to set more of a standard. So for this depending on how close you are to a transformer lets for arguments sake say you are still using 240v.

Ok so 9.6 ohm at 240v will give you a current rating of 25A now this then actually makes the heater element of your smoker well and truely smoke at a whopping 6000w :camping: similar to running a couple of high powered kettles.
I would say it's very likely you have trashed the elment unless there was protection built into the element.

Taking out the house electrics two possible causes the sudden in-rush or power has tripped the RCD or the element is trashed and has shorted stright to earth (if there is an earth) due to having so much current shoved through it.
You would hope the fuse in the plug would blow but quite often the MCB or RCD in the house will go first as they will respond faster.

For your own safety DO NOT attempt to use the unit again until it has been assessed properly and componants repaired/replaced accordingly.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Late in the day, especially for me just finishing a night shift, but why did you not buy a the smoker in the UK from amazon?
Saying that I can not find any UK spares for them.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Late in the day, especially for me just finishing a night shift, but why did you not buy a the smoker in the UK from amazon?
Saying that I can not find any UK spares for them.

I bought from Amazon US since it was the cheapest recomended electric smoker i coud find. All the UK electric ones are more than twice the price. It is the same model you posted so if you dont mind taking a look at it i would apreciate it please.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/o...okers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=810-7080-0

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
All the UK electric ones are more than twice the price.

If you've cooked this one though and have to order a replacement then it will have cost you almost the same as buying from the UK :(

I'd get the converter and take the thing outside, plug it in a see what happens. If it catches fire or explodes then your house isn't going to go up with it. Wait til it stops raining first though ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Power is voltage squared multiplied by resistance.

Oh, jeez, did I write that?

V squared divided by R surely?

P = I[SUP]2[/SUP]R = V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R = V(V/R)

Yes, of course you are right. Thank you for correcting my stupid mistake. I have corrected my original post.

Mental note to self -- again -- take more car when posting.

The rest of the post stands.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
It's easier to keep the maths simple and just use the basic ohms law triangle ;-) saves trying to remember the formulas especially for me which I don't use on a day to day basis.

Depending on how easy it is to strip the old element it can be cheaper for an element company to make a new unit than buy an official one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE