Elderberrys

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Can you eat elderberrys raw or do they have to be processed first?
I think a good rule of thumb is, if you've grown up eating elderberries raw, then you are ok, but if you've never eaten them raw now is not the time to try it. I grew up eating them off the bushes when fishing and camping, so happily eat them raw, with no side effect; my wife cannot eat them unless they are in jam or conserve.

Tadpole...
...not the time because the flavour can be a bit rank or it'll make you a bit ill?

I tasted some when I was picking for wine the other day and found it sort of pleasant and inoffensive, would I be in for a less-than-pleasant time if I ate quite a few?

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Not the flavour - there's a strong chance they'll make you vomit if you haven't eaten them as a child. But you feel fine afterwards ;) Not that I've tried it or anything...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i have to say that i only started eating them about 10 years ago and suffered no affects from it, nor Shelly and others we've eaten them with, id' not encourage people to eat a lot of them raw but some will be unlikely to cause any problems.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
They do seem to get my system working well if I eat a few.

I do a lot of tasting of different bushes as it gives me clues on what sort of wine they might make. I go for the pleasant fruity tasting ones as they give me fruity tasting wines. If they taste like my armpit then often the wine isn't up to much either.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Worth pointing out too that not all elderberries taste the same. Like apples they might all be the same fruit but some are sweet, some are sour, and some are really not worth the bother.
The flowers are different too, some are gloriously perfumed and some stink like cat's pee :rolleyes:

Get to know your bushes and which ones are best for munching :)

cheers,
Toddy

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Listen to Toddys advice.
An old psychiaric hospital had lots of fruit trees inits grounds. I labelled the sweet elders with tape to collect for white wine (flowers) and red wine (berries). Ten years later those labels are still there for the eye that knows them.
Eaten raw the berries and the flowers rarely cause offence if in small doses and of the sweet nature.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I must admit, my vomiting was probably because I tried them (cooked) whilst on a survival type course where I had an emptier stomach than normal anyway, but I can eat the odd berry or two raw without any trouble. It's a very quick effect if they do make you vomit - they go down, you feel briefly ill, they come up again, you feel fine. All in quick order.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Toddy said <<The flowers are different too, some are gloriously perfumed and some stink like cat's pee >> You noticed that too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE