Eeek, Wasps!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
So looks like i have a small wasps nest in the back garden.

its actually under a cardboard box in the kids playhouse... i'm hoping that later on its pouring down with rain so i can kick it out and then run like lynford or its dry so i can vacuum the buggers up.
does anyone have any other suggestions for removing an early wasps nest?
there looks to be about 2-3 dozen of em so far which i think is the second stage of a nest?
so i need to catch it now before there's the population boom heh.
pete
:240:

Make sure that when you take action, you do it at night, once they've stopped flying around.

Sprinkle wasp powder all round it, and wait for the horrid little things to carry it into the nest. It'll kill the lot of them.

I have a wasps' nest in the eaves of my house, just above my bedroom window, and am trying to find a brave soul to go up a ladder and spray it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've dealt with a few around the place.
Advice is sound so far, wait for a cool evening, preferably cold or raining. Powder or sprays have worked so far - didicated nest killer stuff that ejects in a stream - and make sure there's plenty in the can!
Make sure you have an escape route and no children stood around looking to see what you're doing!

Once you can get it from its position, put it in a bag in the freezer for a day or so to make doubly sure. Kids can take it to school for a show & tell, and you get to harvest some pretty good tinder.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
LOL, you know i never thought about it as tinder, thats a mighty fine idea!
tonight like i say it should be raining slightly or if it stays off it'll be cool at least.
my plan of attack is to have at em with the vacuum and a spray can or perhaps some spray adhesive/hairspray.
should then be able to kick it into the open and leave it alone for a day or so.
i need to get into that garden on friday to tidy it up heh.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We had one in the play shed last year. I waited until evening then sprayed the shed with wasp killer. I waited a while then plucked up the courage to pluck it off the roof and threw it in a bin bag, giving the bag another dose of spray to make sure!

Wish I had thought of the tinder idea though!

Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Put a midge net on over a hat.

Gloves too.

Pick box up.

Move to bonfire site.

Ignite box.

Drink beer to the adoring cheers of your family

Done

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
We get one every year somewhere in the garden.

This year they have chosen (unwisely) to inhabit an old bird box.

The powder has been liberally sprinkled around (that annoyed them!)

I will leave it to do its job then stoke up the BBQ (barrel type with lid)

Quick clip of the plastic ties, into a bag then smoked and cooked wasps!:AR15firin

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Won't you just end up with a vacuum cleaner full of angry wasps?

technically a vacuum full of angry and very dizzy and possibly nautious wasps yes. i have a dyson like vac.
besides, the other part of my plan is to spray some wasp killer into the nozzle while the vac is on. coat em all then leave it 5 mins

unfortunatly i don't have a midge/mozzy net, never needed one i have seriously gammy blood that they don't like. so i'll be wrapped up in my gorka, shamagh and some military style goggles i have. should just about cover me heh.
i'll post later on either from home triumphantly or from hospital in abject failure.

Apr 20, 2009
West Virginia USA
My Dear Friends,

I can't speak for wasps specifically, but experience has taught me that sucking yellowjackets up into a 5-gallon Shop-Vac will kill them pretty much instantly - no spray necessary. I had a nest built in the side of my house once, the opening where a small piece of mortar had fallen away from between two blocks. I sprayed the opening before coming to the realization that the blocks themselves are hollow - the upshot of this was that I then had a basement full of angry, violently ill yellowjackets, attempting to escape the spray.

There are wasp and yellowjacket traps available that work very well indeed - ours netted at least a dozen yellowjacket queens in the first month that we had it up this spring. Only one managed to nest around our house thus far, and I sprayed it a couple of days ago to good effect.

Good luck in your endeavour, my friend...

Hannibal Lecter

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
in march they are all queen wasps ;)
well i've just had my first battle with the yellow lair of doom!
as there was some light rain i couldn't risk the vac (although it is indeed a seethrough one grog ;) ) so i decided on some Nippon powder around the area (permethrin ftw) so 10 seconds into my daring ordeal i realise i'm totally out of nippon powder it having about a teaspoon full in.
so i went to my backup.
Two spray cans of RAID!
fogged the place up good and got some of the blighters entering and leaving. then the rain decided to help by seriously hammering down.
got an old mop and started pulling out the card/junk and turning stuff over. quick raid fog every once in a while.
then got to the one i thought they'd nested under and turned that over.
then i ran away....

there's a few more then i thought LOL! :Wow:

gonna have another bash later when they're dormant and see if i can't rake it all out. they should dissapate after that.
all in all: human casualties 0
bug casualties: 6 confirmed but many more fogged/sprayed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE