Dilemma, lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
So , I am in the process of rigging up a lightweight ( ish ) cook set for forays into the more remote areas. Most gear will be at a base camp, then walking out with a 'sack and a 58 webbing belt / pouches set up. Pouches will carry lenses and dslr, cooks set and other bits n bobs.

My dilemma is with the cook set , more importably size, weight and efficiency. Looked at the Esbit 5 piece, dual fuel, looks good but won't fit in ammo pouch, should ( maybe ) fit in one of the kidney pouches though, the other kidney pouch being used for the dslr body. I already have a small, very lightweight diy wood burner ( based on Firebox stove ) that can also use a trangia burner BUT I would like another back up unit. The Crusader kits looks to fit the bill but won't ( I think ) fit in ammo pouches, my preference tbh. It can be purchased with its own carry pouch though but , webbing belt space for it could be an issue.

So am looking for any suggestions from the good and knowledgable folks on here as to a decent solo cook set, possibly using trangia burner fuel tabs or gel, either with cup / small bowl, or kit with suggestion for container/s to boil/cook in. HAS to be able to be carried in ammo pouch, which is about 230mm h x 100mm w x 80mm d

Any thoughts ?

Pete

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
$_3.JPGWhat about a swiss rocket stove? I would think thag would fit a 58 ammo pouch. You can drop a trangia burner in it, burn wood in it or use hexi blocks in it.

The bottle is aluminium so you can boil water in it. I changed the cork on mine as it kept leaking, so I swapped it for a rubber bung from an old demijohn bottle. Never had a problem since.

Olny problem is these are becoming scarce as the surplus supply is drying up, but I still see them in my local surplus store when I periodically pop in.

Attachments

• $_3 (2).JPG
    $_3 (2).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 31
  • $_3 (1).JPG
    $_3 (1).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
View attachment 30343What about a swiss rocket stove? I would think thag would fit a 58 ammo pouch. You can drop a trangia burner in it, burn wood in it or use hexi blocks in it.

The bottle is aluminium so you can boil water in it. I changed the cork on mine as it kept leaking, so I swapped it for a rubber bung from an old demijohn bottle. Never had a problem since.

Olny problem is these are becoming scarce as the surplus supply is drying up, but I still see them in my local surplus store when I periodically pop in.

Aye Mike , have seen those and would be ideal but, as you say, they are getting extremely scarce now, MilitaryMart don't seem to have had any for long time and I can't seem to source them anywhere else !. They would def fit the bill, just can't get them it would seem.

Pete

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have the kegf system. Its superb. Uber light and the storage case gives you to big cups/bowls. Best meths/esbit burner on the market imo. Very efficient too. Uses 16ml for 500ml boil and 28ml for a full keg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you have the lightweight DIY wood burner and a Trangia already I'd probably just go with that, using the Trangia when you can't have a wood fire. There's no point having three stove options.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I find myself with one question: Why?

If you have one stove, what calamity are you expecting that you would need a backup?

If you do feel you need a second, why not get something like the honey stove, plus the trangia adapter and the backpackinglight universal trivet.

This allows you: Honey stove on it's own burning wood, trangia in the honey stove burning meths, trangia with the trivet burning meths. All very light weight.

Alternatively if you are feeling flush for cash, get the evernew appalachian set, this gives you Meths, Esbit and wood as options.

J

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I should have maybe have added that it would be good to have a second stove on the go, not just the back up part, soz !

I have actually re jigged the pouches and will now be able to get the Esbit multi stove, using the other kidney pouch.

Again thanks all for the input.

Pete

bearpark

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Have you considered a BPL Pocket Stove? Not so hot as a wood burner but does an admirable job with a trangia burner or esbit tabs.

7264120190_b4fea72335_z.jpg

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Cool looking bit of kit that, I like it.

I already have a small ( similar but not as sturdy looking ! ) as that woodburning / meths stove.

Gonna look that one up, cheers.

Pete

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE