EDC Pens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Those Zebra pens are great value. My favourite pen is the Machine Era original brass. Perfectly weighted, for my tastes, and a lovely writer. ATM I’m trying to find a stainless one but having no luck.
Much prefer the Fx-MD to the original with the black plastic clicky, they’re fantastic value. The Rotring was a good score too, came up in an Amazon deal at about £15 a few years ago.

Good luck in your search, you look well qualified to find your grail pen, and then soon after yearn another grail pen. Were terrible for it, us lot. :)

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
My problem is that I’d lose an edc pen every day.
My solution is not to carry one.
There are pens and notebooks in every room also a big bundle of very soft pencils in my workroom plus two pens in the car.
There is a pen and notebook in my rucksack and the same in my first aid kit.

These are all ballpoints of one sort or another.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My problem is that I’d lose an edc pan every day.
My solution is not to carry one.

There are pens and notebooks in every room also a big bundle of very soft pencils in my workroom plus two pens in the car.
There is a pen and notebook in my rucksack and the same in my first aid kit.

These are all ballpoints of one sort or another.

Pretty sure the latter isn't a solution but a causality of the former.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Tony

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
Those Zebra pens are great value. My favourite pen is the Machine Era original brass. Perfectly weighted, for my tastes, and a lovely writer. ATM I’m trying to find a stainless one but having no luck.
I love my machine era classic as well. Fits in a little slot on my zip wallet, unbreakable and feels lovely to write with.
It seems they stock is hard to come by at the moment for a lot of there stuff because they are busy machining new stuff.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Pretty sure the latter isn't a solution but a causality of the former.

:)

Whatever happened to the bushcraft philosophy thread :) ?

Where formerly I would intend to carry a pen and subsequently lose it, you would be correct.
Where I have analysed the situation and taken a conscious decision that I shall not carry one but have many available then I have devised a solution.
Would you be happier with “resolution”?

I tried keeping a pencil behind my ear for a while but I frequently forgot it was there.

Of course my real edc “pen” Is the one that I’m using right now. I’m writing across the phone keyboard by sliding my thumb between the letters in a quite graphic manner: all swirls and curves. Talking to others who have tried this method, I may be the only person in the universe who uses it.

Edited to ask:

Does anyone carry a ”tactical“ pen “ed” and what tactics can it perform?

Do politician’s script writers edc tactical pens?

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I take it you're using Swype (R) or similar gesture based keyboard on your phone. If so that's what I use. Keep your finger on the screen and move it from letter to letter to type. With a little circle over letters that get repeated like double e in keep.

It's a quicker typing method and when I first n used it I read that someone from South Korea held the fastest phone typing record using Swype (R) keyboard. Apparently there's a set sentence involving Tyrannosaurus Rex that you have to type in order to be timed for that record. I tried it and ran out of time two words in! Guess I'm never going to hold that record!

Reactions: Pattree

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Anyone have an EDC pen?
I carry a few around in my bag when I take my bag places but a pen always seems uncomfortable in my pocket, probably the I get is a pencil behind my ear, I've gone to bed with them there before :) I'd like to carry a decent pen, but i'd rather avoid that pocket stabbing that can occur.

Any of you carry a pen regularly and want to share?
I grab some pens when I go in the bookies. They bowt 3 inches long and go in my wallet. also got one on my edc swiss army knife. never even used it. I forget its there. x

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Whatever happened to the bushcraft philosophy thread :) ?

Where formerly I would intend to carry a pen and subsequently lose it, you would be correct.
Where I have analysed the situation and taken a conscious decision that I shall not carry one but have many available then I have devised a solution.
Would you be happier with “resolution”?

I tried keeping a pencil behind my ear for a while but I frequently forgot it was there.

Of course my real edc “pen” Is the one that I’m using right now. I’m writing across the phone keyboard by sliding my thumb between the letters in a quite graphic manner: all swirls and curves. Talking to others who have tried this method, I may be the only person in the universe who uses it.

Edited to ask:

Does anyone carry a ”tactical“ pen “ed” and what tactics can it perform?

Do politician’s script writers edc tactical pens?

Just join a long chain to the bottom of a pen and carry that around the house. Like what banks used to offer at their branches. When they had branches.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@TeeDee
You mean something like this:
It’s attached to the house communal calendar, five feet from the one under the TV which is four feet from the pot with three of them in it by my chair.

IMG_6121.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I just carry a carpentry pencil and a sharpie, the latter mostly for the substance abuse aspect. And a box of crayons to lend out. :D

Reactions: gg012

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I EDC a pen every day in the front pocket of my blue jeans. No, it does not stab or poke me.

Right now, a Pentel Energel metal pen is the normal EDC pen but, a similar Sharpie ballpoint has also fit that roll in the past and like will again in the future. A metal Parker Jotter is a great option for EDC as well, being a bit shorter with one of those awesome Easyflow 9000 refills.

Reactions: gg012 and Pattree

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a big brass Chinese knock off of a tactical pen. I doubt I could actually break any windows with it, but it is big and bulky so I am not likely to lose it or break it.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I EDC a pen every day in the front pocket of my blue jeans. No, it does not stab or poke me.

Right now, a Pentel Energel metal pen is the normal EDC pen but, a similar Sharpie ballpoint has also fit that roll in the past and like will again in the future. A metal Parker Jotter is a great option for EDC as well, being a bit shorter with one of those awesome Easyflow 9000 refills.
The Parker option was my choice for quite some time with that refill too

Sent from underground

Reactions: sidpost

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Fisher space pen all the way for me, in a small one in my primary kit and a large one in my secondary kit. In the big bag I always carry a Sharpie, also one of those in my secondary kit. However my daily carry SAK a cybertool has a pen on it also. TBF if I know I'm going somewhere and notes need to be taken I'll make sure I have a notebook and pen with me. Also, there is my notes app on my phone and I'll use text to note for fast notes on the go.

Si

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
I picked up a BigiDesign bolt action pen. It's a ballpoint/rollerball, but where it is unique is that the length can be adjusted to take hundreds of different refills, so you can write with the refill of choice or one that you have whipped out of another pen.

See HERE not cheap, but good.

Reactions: gg012

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I picked up a BigiDesign bolt action pen. It's a ballpoint/rollerball, but where it is unique is that the length can be adjusted to take hundreds of different refills, so you can write with the refill of choice or one that you have whipped out of another pen.

See HERE not cheap, but good.
I have their Pocket Pro and like it a lot! Similar in its ability to take lots of different refills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE