EDC lighters or firemakers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was jsut thinking to myself how often I've missed the opportunity for a small fire (Usually on the beach) because i've not way or lighting a fire or event getting en ember without it taking too long or too much effort. It got me thinking about what's available to carry in a small kit, on. keychain or in a pocket. Do you guys carry anything for making fire, be it a lighter, match or rod of some sort?

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Brass Zippo (Armour) with a butane insert for me. Has the added benefit of being fun to fidget with if I have idle hands.

Reactions: Tony

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I always have at least two lighters on me. One in my bag, and one in a pocket.
They are refillable, so for a pound or two, I've always got something to start a fire with should the need arise.
Also, in the summer, my barma canvas drover sun hat has a small ferro rod toggle, giving me a further option, as I can use that and my Swiss army knife to create a fire.

Reactions: Pattree

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I generally have at lease a disposable lighter on me, usually a ferro rod if I have a rucksack with me and often flint and steel as well.....

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
As a smoker I always had a lighter or matches, quitting meant giving up my zippos until I discovered the butane inserts.

Now it goes everywhere with me again in that little jeans pocket. No idea how much gas is in it now though ...

Would be confident lighting a fire with a ferro rod and they are not big for carrying about as EDC, biggest thing with them is finding dry tinder on a wet day. I guess if I was out for an extended period then the ferro rod would be the simplest most reliable option and spotting tinder would just become second nature and my pockets would be full of the stuff :D

Reactions: Pattree

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Usually have just a bic in a pocket.
If have a pack, have a ferro, carbide striker and a couple of fireplugs on a carabiner in top pocket. As pictured previously...

oO0yrYI.jpeg

Reactions: Falstaff

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I light several fires every day and in my pocket I have a cricket disposable lighter. The blowtorch style lighters are great in the wind, but sometimes the more feathery flame of a standard issue butane lighter or zippo style thing is actually more effective.

Also on the electric vs flint ignition. I used to be camp electric and if it's a spare that rolls around in my rucksack for months at a time then I still like it, but the flint ones survive better if stored/carried in the damp (ie my pocket because I live in super wet Devon)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I often light a fire in my grate here at home but I don’t carry any form of lighter on my person unless I’m on a walk or a camp..

If I’m on a day trip with the littlest Hobo then I will probably be carrying the Opinel Explore (#12) with a ferro rod in the handle. This rod is wearing out but I’ve got a spare.
IMG_6131.jpeg

If I’m camped for a few days I’ll take the heavy duty kit:
IMG_6132.jpeg

This pouch sits on a bookshelf by the grate so it’s what I use to light my domestic fire too.

(Sorry Tony - I am aware of your aversion but I’m an Opinel enthusiast.)

Reactions: CLEM
i don't leave the farm without my shoulder bag, which contains flint and steel, magnifying glass, some tinder and a small container with matches (for emergencies, but i haven't used new-fangled methods since late 2011); on the farm i tend to ignite a piece of coconut husk on the stove if i burn stuff in the yard (indigenous people used to carry fire with them for millenia and it still works for me)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In my pocket I always have a mini-bic, a matchsafe with half a dozen matches and a small ferro rod. I regard the means to make fire as important as a knife in my EDC. It amazes me how often smokers ask if I have a light and are surprised that I carry a lighter yet don't smoke.

Reactions: Megatramp

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If I'm out for a walk I will generally have a cheap piezo lighter in my bag. My brew kit will have a ferro rod, which I find easy to drop a shower of sparks into a Trangia meths burner.
Most other times I will have a Tortoise Gear Firefly mini ferro rod in my SAK, so I suppose that is my true EDC firelighter (never used it for real though!)

IMG_20240307_164528 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve got a Clipper lighter for ease of use and “just in case” (esp for the jetboil), but if I think I’ll actually need it, I bring a ferro rod or flint and steel. Got a gorgeous little set from Beaver Bushcraft for when the bigger ones are a bit too cumbersome.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I always EDC a standard Bic disposable lighter, sometimes in the past the mini version in my trouser/jeans pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE