E-Bay candle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I ordered three, they arrived the next day and have disappeared just as fast :rolleyes: Brother, friends....
I've ordered another five, he had 20 for sale last night.

Thanks for the Heads Up on this Dan.
Cheers,
Toddy

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Got mine through this morning, you certianly can't knock them for their price. I was expecting quite a tacky construction, but was plesently pleased by an easy to use and strong feeling build. The only thing I would say, comparing it to my memory of Jon Pickett's Uco lantern, is that this one probably isn't as resistant to rain drops dripping down and putting the candle out.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
mine arrived today (well I hope it did - i apparently have 3 parcells waiting for me at home :) )

quick question (as i'm about to head into town, and I intend to use it while i'm away in the woods this weekend) will it take a std candle or do I need to get uco candles?

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
It comes with a candle, I wouldnt think a normal candle is the best approach because the UCO ones are specifically designed not to drip wax, and the std candles probably wont burn for as long either, the candle is also of an odd size, but if you cut a std candle down to size you should be ok if desperate.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Standard candles won't fit. Standard candles are too thin and they need to be the right size for the mechanism, too thin and it goes through the hole at the top, too thick and it wont fit in the holder. I made some to fit by melting candles and remaking using a toilet roll holder as a mould, but after all the faffing about I don't think it was worth it TBH. I already have one of these, same packaging and make but the one I already have was silver coloured, the ones I ordered arrived this morning a brass colour, and after a quick look they seem a lot better quality. It seems they are made of better quality metal, but I have not made a proper comparison yet so it might just be because they were shiny and new giving that impression.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Mine arrived today and, it seems like everyone else, I'm very impressed with the quality for the money.

Got to laugh that it's made in Taiwan and my instructions refer to a "Grass Chimney". :D

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
These UCO candles are a new one on me. I did a bit of Googling and their main advantage seems to be that they are non-drip. I wonder if any beeswax candles would do instead?

Are UCO candles readily available? It does seem a bit much to have to resort to ebay for replacement candles.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I buy mine in Tiso's. They work out about £1 each. That said, they do last for about 9 hours and they don't drip. Wonder if we could get a group buy that would cut the price in half?
For the household I prefer Price's candles, since they are about as smokeless as it's possible to get. They have the very white ones for underneath coffee pots and fondues, wonder if those ones would work? Melt & pour into a suitable mould? I used to get mine at a Prices' outlet store but it's closed now :(
Must find another.

Cheers,
Toddy

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Are UCO candles readily available? It does seem a bit much to have to resort to ebay for replacement candles.[/QUOTE]

You can get UCO candles at most walking/outdoor type shops. Flicking through the new catalogues from three big outdoor chains they all appear to stock them and they do mail order, they also sell citronella ones the same size to repel insects at £3.50 for 3.

Found this link to UCO they seem to do quite abit of useful kit!http://candlelantern.com

Looking on the accessories page they also sell Beeswax candles which have a longer burn time, though I have never seen them anywhere else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE