Candle Lantern recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
Hi all.

I've got a hankering to add a candle lantern or two to my equipment stash; something small and light enough to carry in a rucksack and preferably collapsible to protect the glass, while in transit. Googling for such a gadget suggests that UCO have the market cornered, as no other brand seems to get a look in. But I'm sure there must be other companies making quality candle lanterns out there. So anyone got any links or suggestions?

It's not that I have anything against UCO in particular. It's just that I find most american gear consists of 90% hype and 10% reality and sells over here for the equivalent [often more] in £££s as it sells for in $$$s in the US. So a European brand [and a bit of price parity] would be preferred.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I love my UCO but I was lucky bought it at a closing down sale for half price together with candles.

I hav eseen some made with Tea Cnades and a coke tin with refkectors

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There is a UCO style lantern that's on ebay that comes with an oil lantern insert so you can have either. It's a lot cheaper than a UCO but I can't find it at the moment.

Edit... found it

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
A little tip is you do decide to go along the route of a UCO or other tea-light based candle. Why don't you try investing in a couple of these?:

http://www.michaeldark.co.uk/floral-supplies/Submersible-Floralyteand8482-III/White/10095498085308
( sorry about the link, it was all I could find in a hurry:eek: This price is for 10No of the lights. They're normally about £3 each)

These Floralyte 3's are genius pieces of kit when you're not happy having a naked flame near or inside a tent. A good battery easily lasts 30 hours and the light has three modes of operation; full-on, candle effect flicker and intermittent.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I use a Bushlite, cracking bit of kit a bit of chatter about then Here
Often on ebay and if you have a fishing shop near you they often stock them.

Cheers
Louis

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all has anyone got a piccy of the bushlite as oll the linkys dont work regards dave

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There is a UCO style lantern that's on ebay that comes with an oil lantern insert so you can have either. It's a lot cheaper than a UCO but I can't find it at the moment.

Edit... found it
I have two of those, used to use them on the boat.

They are great bits of kit for a lot of uses. The oil-lantern bit will leak if tipped over, so it is something for use in a caravan, home or boat, not backpacking.

The candle lasts a good 8 hours, but you can also fit a t-light into the holder.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
Cheers for the suggestions folks. Bushlite looks like an interesting alternative, but I cannae seem to find any UK suppliers. [funnily enough, googling for "bushlite" throws up a lot of references to Barack Obama!]

The barge lanterns also look like a potentially cheaper alternative, but if I'd just seen the piccies on ebay, I'd have assumed that –being designed for use on a boat– they'd be about the size of one of those old miner's lanterns and equally heavy. This is one of the problems on ebay; so many sellers fail to include important info, such as the dimensions, weight and construction materials of things they're selling.

Mind you, within reason, I dinnae mind a wee bit of weight. Sometimes that's the trade-off you need to make, if you want to buy equipment that disnae fall to bits within five minutes of getting it out of the box.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I love my UCO (I did get it cheap though 1/2 off at millets)

Has a bespoke leather case now as well ;@)

The UCO Micro look like a good bit of kit for just over £10 they also use tea lights which seems a good idea

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
I used to have a cracking little collapsible candle lantern that took the '9 hour' candles... It was a Northern Lights one, and cost me about 26quid, back in about 1994. Sadly, some thieving barsteward stole it during the night, a couple of years ago, after I inadvertently left it hanging from a fencepin outside my tent :(
I've since tried to find one the same to replace it with, but either Northern Lights has changed ownership, or they've redesigned them because the only thing I can find online going by that name is not the same beast at all.
If anyone knows of a source of these I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Cheers
Og

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The barge lanterns also look like a potentially cheaper alternative, but if I'd just seen the piccies on ebay, I'd have assumed that –being designed for use on a boat– they'd be about the size of one of those old miner's lanterns and equally heavy. This is one of the problems on ebay; so many sellers fail to include important info, such as the dimensions, weight and construction materials of things they're selling.

I've just got mine. It's made of brassed metal. It measures 130x70mm and weighs 370g with a new candle in. It takes 9 hour candles and so far I'm impressed for £8 delivered!

I also have a Coghlins tealight lamp. They provide a good "ambiance" but it is no good to read or work by.

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The UCO Micro look like a good bit of kit for just over £10 they also use tea lights which seems a good idea

It seemed such a good idea. I just bought one. £12.45 delivered from the states.
I've been using a Coughlans one for ages, but broke it recently. The UCO one looks stonger as it collapses to protect the glass. When I go to IKEA, I pick up a huge bag of T-Lights for a couple of quid which last for a year or two, and they will fit this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE