Lynx Can..dle Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

pwb , just out of curiousity but did you try cutting the glass the same way as the cab ? with the wee cutting disk ?

Hi Knightfisher,

Did try using a dremel tool and the little discs that came with it but I figured it would have taken forever and a fair few discs to cut a groove good enough to split the jar. Come to think of it I could maybe try out some of those diamond dremel ones.
I'm quite interested in trying out the angle grinder method that was suggested to me ....have to get hold of an angle grinder first though :).

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Hi Knightfisher,

Did try using a dremel tool and the little discs that came with it but I figured it would have taken forever and a fair few discs to cut a groove good enough to split the jar. Come to think of it I could maybe try out some of those diamond dremel ones.
I'm quite interested in trying out the angle grinder method that was suggested to me ....have to get hold of an angle grinder first though :).

pwb,

your method worked , Id just be ******** myself about the initial start and touching the glass with the grinding wheel .....

ps , I still think you should contact lynx and show them what you have made so far with there cans :)

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Well mate ,
This is top's i like it, and i'll be watching for the case that it will fit in !!

Cheers Topknot

pwb

Id just be ******** myself about the initial start and touching the glass with the grinding wheel .....

Kind of how I felt too :yikes:.

is this one of the new style no lid cans? Might give it a go over the christmas hols

Yup ..the kind that twists to open, but there's plenty of similar sized tins like shaving foam etc.

i'll be watching for the case that it will fit in !!

Cheers Topknot

Now there's an idea :) ....Cheers Andy.

Cheers Russ :) and thanks for the comments every one.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi Knightfisher,

Right... sorry but all this talk of using grinders to cut the glass dry is making my hair stand on as it's DANGEROUS. The potential for the glass shattering or small shards flying around or inhaling the glass dust is very high.

So I've done a very quick tutorial on how to cut glass bottles safely and with minimal risk

First of get your bottle. In this case I used an old scwharz spice jar. You also need a glass cutter and some tape

bottle1.jpg

Run the tape around the bottle to mark out your two cut lines.
bottle2.jpg

You'll then end up with two cut lines
bottle3.jpg

You have 2 options to break the jar apart. The one I prefer is to put then end of the glass cutter inside the jar and gently tap around the jar at the cut lines. This then breaks the glass all the way through. I couldn't show tapping whilst holding as I didn't have an extra pair of hands at this stage. The other way is to pour boiling hot water over the jar follwed by immersing it imediately in cold water. This ought to break the glass at the score lines but if there's any imperfections in the bottle you run the risk of it breaking there rather than where you want it to.
bottle5.jpg

In this picture you can see the top has been removed and I've started the second line. The break is the white on the side of the jar opposite to my thumb
bottle4.jpg

Once you've tapped all the way around the glass should seperate and you end up with a cylinder that you can smooth off the edges using wet and dry paper. Make sure you use lots of water to eliminate any dust.
bottle6.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
LEA%20PERRINS%20WORCESTERSHIRE%20SAUCE%20COSTA%20BAR%20SUPPLIES%20COM.jpg

I happened to hate lea and perrins sauce so I used this for my glass , its the perfect fit for can and candle and that bit taller if anyone wants a couple of sizes of lantern !!

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Right... sorry but all this talk of using grinders to cut the glass dry is making my hair stand on as it's DANGEROUS. The potential for the glass shattering or small shards flying around or inhaling the glass dust is very high.

]

I thought this aswell but I had cut the glass by the time I was worrying , there is a fair bit of dust off the glass :(

thanks for that method mesquite i'll know in guture to try this

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Nice work Pete:) I've been messing around trying to find a suitable can to make a lantern out of looks like you beat me to it.

A while back i bought a couple of glass pyrex tubes from a local (ish) wood merchant. Them are the glass chimneys off the old style oil lamps, their about 4" tall and 2" dia' for £1 each. So might be worth trying an old style hardware store or the likes?

I've also got a few glasses from some Coleman gas lamps when Blacks was shutting done for 50p each but haven't found a use for them yet:rolleyes:

Richard

pwb

A while back i bought a couple of glass pyrex tubes from a local (ish) wood merchant. Them are the glass chimneys off the old style oil lamps, their about 4" tall and 2" dia' for £1 each. So might be worth trying an old style hardware store or the likes?

Thanks Richard :).
There's a great proper old fashioned Ironmongers in Forfar, perhaps they might have some glass chimneys , sometimes they even search in the basement . It's a real Aladdin's cave down there :D.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
I had a go at making a candle lantern using red bull type cans. Too flimsy and I don't think there was enough air flow through the design. The OPs design looks much better. Perhaps I will take some ideas from it and have another go sometime.

The main reason I posted though was about the glass. I bought a replacement glass cover for a mini gas lantern from ebay. 50mm diameter and 45mm tall and 2mm thick. At less than £3 delivered it saves trying to cut up jars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-Gas-Lam...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item19b5ff322c

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not sure how i missed this thread, that's one of the best bits of DIY that i've seen on here, really top work mate, well done

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE