Candle Lantern recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
There is a UCO style lantern that's on ebay that comes with an oil lantern insert so you can have either. It's a lot cheaper than a UCO but I can't find it at the moment.

Edit... found it

I have two of those, used to use them on the boat.

They are great bits of kit for a lot of uses. The oil-lantern bit will leak if tipped over, so it is something for use in a caravan, home or boat, not backpacking.

The candle lasts a good 8 hours, but you can also fit a t-light into the holder.

I've just got mine. It's made of brassed metal. It measures 130x70mm and weighs 370g with a new candle in. It takes 9 hour candles and so far I'm impressed for £8 delivered!

Here we go:

As it comes:

2in1lantern.jpg

Out the box:

2in1lantern5.jpg

2in1lantern4.jpg

2in1lantern2.jpg

2in1lantern7.jpg

Up against a UCO:

2in1lantern3.jpg

2in1lantern6.jpg

Will be trying it out at Rough Close this weekend using the candle provided, a UCO Candle, some Tea Lights and will try the Paraffin as well. Will see if shtf1.gif

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2010
St Neots, Cambs
Possibly a silly question, but in the light of another fume related tent death recently - what are the risks of using a candle lantern in a tent? One of the reasons I got a candle lantern instead of an LED light was in the thinking that it would also help warm the tent up in the winter (small, backpacking type tent) , I was more worried about the flame related mishaps than fumes I must admit, but I assume it'll use up oxygen & give off CO or CO2?

Cheers,

Chalky

Edit - Typo

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I can't remember the exact figurers but a candle produces five time more fumes than a paraffin lantern, might be more. Ventilate your tent and you will be fine.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Here we go:

As it comes:

2in1lantern.jpg

Out the box:

2in1lantern5.jpg

2in1lantern4.jpg

2in1lantern2.jpg

2in1lantern7.jpg

Up against a UCO:

2in1lantern3.jpg

2in1lantern6.jpg

Will be trying it out at Rough Close this weekend using the candle provided, a UCO Candle, some Tea Lights and will try the Paraffin as well. Will see if View attachment 6810

I've got a couple of these (in black) the candles that they use are slightly fatter that the UCO ones and as they burn the UCO ones tend to jam.

I looked at the price of the UCO candles and then contacted a local craft shop who sell candle making supplies. Anyway the price of the bits to make my own candles was less that £5 enough to make around 20 candles.

As for the mould I was made from a lenght of 33mm id plastic pipe with a blanking plug in the end;) the home made candles work fine.

I'll put a few photo's up later.

Richard

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've got a couple of these (in black) the candles that they use are slightly fatter that the UCO ones and as they burn the UCO ones tend to jam.

I looked at the price of the UCO candles and then contacted a local craft shop who sell candle making supplies. Anyway the price of the bits to make my own candles was less that £5 enough to make around 20 candles.

As for the mould I was made from a lenght of 33mm id plastic pipe with a blanking plug in the end;) the home made candles work fine.

I'll put a few photo's up later.

Richard

Nice one, look forward to seeing them.

Alas;

as for mine, after 2 Meets it has been relegated to the Shed forever...

1. The thread on the parafin candle is poor and leaks.
2. The base connector lugs have snapped making the retention of candle or parafin insert downright dangerous.

It was good whilst it lasted.:rolleyes:

Bought myself a UCO Micro from Lurch's Store. :)

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
These are rather sought after (generally selling at around £40) and are, I am told, the D's B's of candle lanterns.
I think Twodogs has one; perhaps he will enlighten us of its virtues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE