Dutch hiking website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Already been on that site before and they've got some good info ... and the guys are a great bunch ... though not as great as you BCUK guys ;) :grouphug:

The exact translation of "bushcraft" made me smile and remembered me of something I heard last week: the english language reaches somewhere this week its 1.000.000th (1 million) word ... as opposed to the dutch language, which has 'only' (aprx) 100.000 words :rolleyes:

;) there are things you just can't translate ... :p

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Thanks for all the positive feedback: thats what makes bushcraftuk into bushcraftuk

Im bilingual (travel between UK and holland) and damn do I prefer english! I can express myself so much better in english. However the english rpbably have at least 500.000 swear words :lmao: :p :twak: :joke:

Ahjno said:
The exact translation of "bushcraft" made me smile and remembered me of something I heard last week: the english language reaches somewhere this week its 1.000.000th (1 million) word ... as opposed to the dutch language, which has 'only' (aprx) 100.000 words :rolleyes:

You underestimate the Dutch language Ahjno, take it from a Flemish guy. The GWNT (Groot woordenboek der Nederlandse taal) is the largest dictionary in print in the world.

There exists a perfect and old word for bushcrafter in dutch, and that's "woudloper" :cool:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ketchup said:
You underestimate the Dutch language Ahjno, take it from a Flemish guy. The GWNT (Groot woordenboek der Nederlandse taal) is the largest dictionary in print in the world.

Didn't knew that ... and reckon I don't have to know that, since you Flemish guys continiously win the 10 voor taal quiz :p
Though I was only parroting what I heard on the radio (darn traffic jams).

There exists a perfect and old word for bushcrafter in dutch, and that's "woudloper" :cool:

:lmao:
Memories of an happy childhood pop up :D
Do you remember the Donald Duck comicbooks with his nephews Huey, Dewey & Louis? They were woudlopers.
Although the word is much better chosen, it still doesn't cover it for me though ... I prefer the english version ... :rolleyes: :eek: Language polution, I know ... I've already been accused of it once by my mum when I named the magnetron and some other things around the house by their english name (microwave) ... Mind you, I just came back from a trip to the UK, so I was still in my adjusting fase ;) :D :rolleyes:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ketchup said:
Is this because you feel uneasy/ashamed(?) about your own language?

No, I'm absolutely not ashamed, or feel uneasy about my own language. I'm proud to be Dutch and especially the language. I just find there isn't a word in dutch that covers 'bushcraft' ... Not in its description, nor does it captures or equals the atmosphere that surrounds the english word ...

You can compare it with the dutch word apartheid, it's used worldwide ... Up untill this moment I'm not aware of a translation of this word that covers it's nasty meaning in whole.

At uni we sometimes have french, german or latin words - that just cover a meaning better, than a complete 400 page book in dutch.

You have to call an eend an eend
Fair enough.
But eend (duck) covers the meaning / description of the bird. Rimboevaardigheid, woudloper or wildernis ambacht don't ... well, for me that is ... The terms are just to vague.

I reckon this is just once again one off those horses for courses things in life ;)

(BTW The D.Duck nephews were provided with proper Dutch names in these comic books: ... Kwik, Kwak...?)

I know, but used those names as this is an english forum.
When you're in Rome, do as the Romans do ...

reinhardt_woets said:
and kwek! :D

Reinhardt knows his classics :nana: ;)

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
lol, As a kid I loved them... must have read nearly all of the weekly issues for eight years... (I have older brothers who saved them) When i hit the shop I still pick one up!! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE