Duluth Bushcrafter Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
This has got me planning my next big purchase:rolleyes: Why do I love spending money??.
I like the look of these, certainly different from my maxp gear:D
I think I'll have my missus get me one for our anniversary next year. They may have changed the awful black plastic bits by then.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
There seems to be a niche here for rugged river to exploit - cheaper than Duluth but you're not paying for the reputation etc. On the other hand..£290 from Tamarack? Soooo tempted...:)

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
Hello All,
My wife and myself are the purveyors of Rugged River packs and recently we have had quite a few requests for custom packs and there seems to be a common theme developing around size and features..... so much so, that we are working on a design that would incorporate what most people seem to want i.e 40-50 litre size, two (or more) pockets, waist belt, axe pocket etc..

Hopefully, this design will be completed and a prototype made in the coming month or two, we can then evaluate it and offer it for sale if we are happy.

We can't give any indication of price as yet, as we won't know how long it takes to produce etc. But would probably fall into the £150-ish ballpark

Any notes of encouragement from members would be much appreciated in our endeavors!

Mods, please edit/remove etc if this falls foul of any forum policy. I do apologise in advance if it has, but it does enable us to reply to many queries in advance.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hello All,
My wife and myself are the purveyors of Rugged River packs and recently we have had quite a few requests for custom packs and there seems to be a common theme developing around size and features..... so much so, that we are working on a design that would incorporate what most people seem to want i.e 40-50 litre size, two (or more) pockets, waist belt, axe pocket etc..

Hopefully, this design will be completed and a prototype made in the coming month or two, we can then evaluate it and offer it for sale if we are happy.

We can't give any indication of price as yet, as we won't know how long it takes to produce etc. But would probably fall into the £150-ish ballpark

Any notes of encouragement from members would be much appreciated in our endeavors!

Mods, please edit/remove etc if this falls foul of any forum policy. I do apologise in advance if it has, but it does enable us to reply to many queries in advance.

I was admiring your work at the weekend, Red Kite had one with him at Coniston.

Very nice and probably on my shopping list soon. Is the best way to reach you through SOTP ?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
In a similar vein to the Duluth pack you might want to look at this one from LL Bean for less than 1/3 of the cost of the Duluth pack:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

I'm not sure if LL Bean has a presence in the UK, but it's an old and well known outdoor supplier in the US. As with many things, their older stuff is often better made than the new, but still they do good work. I used to live in their wet weather boots when I lived in Alaska.

These packs are made in China, however, and I can assume the craftsmanship -- while certainly serviceable -- won't be up to Duluth standards.

But for the money, it looks pretty tempting to me....

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Duluth Pack makes real good stuff. Their main clientele are canoeists. So the hiking deficits don't matter to them and the packs wear like iron. They last for years.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I didn't see anyone mention the Frosts/Bison bushcraft Nessmuk pack but worth a consideration too. Not in production at the moment but they may be back.

Cheers,

Alan

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
In a similar vein to the Duluth pack you might want to look at this one from LL Bean for less than 1/3 of the cost of the Duluth pack:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

I'm not sure if LL Bean has a presence in the UK, but it's an old and well known outdoor supplier in the US. As with many things, their older stuff is often better made than the new, but still they do good work. I used to live in their wet weather boots when I lived in Alaska.

These packs are made in China, however, and I can assume the craftsmanship -- while certainly serviceable -- won't be up to Duluth standards.

But for the money, it looks pretty tempting to me....

I agrre. If the pack is as good as it looks it is exceptional value given the leather to canvas ratio for only "$99.00". Even worth the risk of being snaffled for import duty I suggest!

The white fleece shoulder strap padding could easily be dyed if that puts you off.

Cheers

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I would be interested but we already exchanged mail about that, so you should not double count, I cannot afford two ;)

I don't want too big either. 50L plus pockets would be too large probably. Actually it might be useful to get accurate capacity ratings. The Roamer is geometrically 26L but would probably accommodate more as you said since it would not remain a straight rectangular box.

Another potentially interesting option would be to develop a removable canvas pocket, a bit like the PLCE in concept, that could be attached to the pack or carried apart to hold basics once the camp has been setup. I don't think there is any canvas/old school alternative to the popular PLCE.

Cheers,
P.

Hello All,

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Hello All,

That sounds great.
I've ordered and am eagerly looking forward to receiving a Roamer daypack from yourselves but I would also be interested in that new design as well.
Keep us posted!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Very interesting 86 inch! I have visited your site and realy like the look of your work.
The quality looks to be there,personaly I would like to see something a bit bigger than 40-50 ltrs. There seems to be a gap in the market for something like a canvas,smallish (50-70 lrt) exedition pack,of the kind of quality you produce!
Price sounds about right,any more and I think you begin to lose your advantage over the American/Canadian rivals.
A British made product at this kind of price and of a premium quality would,I am sure,soon attract a loyal following!
Good luck!
My best.
Chris.
P.s What year is your Landy? (86inch!??)

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
Very interesting 86 inch! I have visited your site and realy like the look of your work.
The quality looks to be there,personaly I would like to see something a bit bigger than 40-50 ltrs. There seems to be a gap in the market for something like a canvas,smallish (50-70 lrt) exedition pack,of the kind of quality you produce!
Price sounds about right,any more and I think you begin to lose your advantage over the American/Canadian rivals.
A British made product at this kind of price and of a premium quality would,I am sure,soon attract a loyal following!
Good luck!
My best.
Chris.
P.s What year is your Landy? (86inch!??)

I agree with this - i d be interested in something of upto 70L, and around 40L as well. perhaps 86 could offer two sizes?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Hello All,

I would be very interested in one of these, let us know when you have a prototype made please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE