Duluth Bob Dustrude folding saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does anyone have one of the above ?

How do they feel when set for use ? I'm tempted to get one for some heavier cutting and the common saw blade size is attractive.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
no experince of using one altough a few friends like theres but if your in the area for a big saw have a look at the silky big boy; like the one i had a play with i ordered one to replace my buck saw.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
no experince of using one altough a few friends like theres but if your in the area for a big saw have a look at the silky big boy; like the one i had a play with i ordered one to replace my buck saw.

I was looking at those as well Will but I didn't like the fact that the replacement blades were the same price as the complete saw. They do look efficient though, have you used yours much yet ?

Gailainne

Life Member

How do they feel when set for use ? I'm tempted to get one for some heavier cutting and the common saw blade size is attractive.

Should have asked at the weekend :rolleyes: , I had one with me, you could have cut wood to your hearts content (and our benefit :cool: ).

To answer your question, they are very good, my only gripe is as you may remember at Loch Fyne the blade released from the frame, which collapses and covers the blade edge, a cover or sheath is required to secure it.

Cheers

Stephen

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
SteveA took his on our trip to Sweden this year. It's a top piece of kit.....robust and with a good depth of cut for larger diameter logs. They're available at Tamarack (no connections etc) and you can get discount if you subscribe to their online newsletter. They also sell the bespoke case. I'll invest in one when my (inferior quality) folding bow saw finally expires....

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
yeah they are great bits of kit, i would say the handle is slightly uncomfortable but can put up with it given how light and ease of carrying compared to a normal bow saw.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Should have asked at the weekend :rolleyes: , I had one with me, you could have cut wood to your hearts content (and our benefit :cool: ).

To answer your question, they are very good, my only gripe is as you may remember at Loch Fyne the blade released from the frame, which collapses and covers the blade edge, a cover or sheath is required to secure it.

Cheers

Stephen

Ah yes, was that when you were a bit concerned about having a 2ft saw blade knocking around unteathered in your inflatable :eek:

I am a big fan

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/quick_buck_saw.html

Russell also has one and has a review posted on here.

Thanks John I'll have a read of that

SteveA took his on our trip to Sweden this year. It's a top piece of kit.....robust and with a good depth of cut for larger diameter logs. They're available at Tamarack (no connections etc) and you can get discount if you subscribe to their online newsletter. They also sell the bespoke case. I'll invest in one when my (inferior quality) folding bow saw finally expires....

I can feel a trip to Garstang coming on :approve:

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Shewie,

I live in Harrogate, but make regular trips to Tamarack. My Ma and Pa live about 1 mile up the hill the other side of the motorway. Its a great excuse to visit them.

If you need me to pick anything up, have a word with Sally, I can arrange handover in yorkshire if it helps

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie,

I live in Harrogate, but make regular trips to Tamarack. My Ma and Pa live about 1 mile up the hill the other side of the motorway. Its a great excuse to visit them.

If you need me to pick anything up, have a word with Sally, I can arrange handover in yorkshire if it helps

I might just take you up on that fella, when are you next visiting ?

Saying that I do like a good rummage around when I go and Sallys coffee makes the wallet bashing taste a bit better :)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire

Cheers

Stephen

Cracking saw,I carry mine in my rucksac without a cover to secure it, the balde is held within the collapsed saw by the screw on the handle, on my saw the folding arms are quite stiff and need a fair effort to move them from the closed to open position. I've had mine a year or so and am confident it would not drop the blade when packed. Either I have an odd one or you do Steve, Duluth do the cases but they are a bit pricey for what they are, get the sewing machine out mate.;)

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Cracking saw,I carry mine in my rucksac without a cover to secure it, the balde is held within the collapsed saw by the screw on the handle, on my saw the folding arms are quite stiff and need a fair effort to move them from the closed to open position. I've had mine a year or so and am confident it would not drop the blade when packed. Either I have an odd one or you do Steve, Duluth do the cases but they are a bit pricey for what they are, get the sewing machine out mate.;)

wot he said - I love mine and Stooboy likes using it so much he does most of the cutting - tis a win win situation lol.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I have one of the Bob Dustrude Saws. It's a great saw and the best bow saw that I've used. Lightweight and very easy to set up. Plus it will take any brand saw blade so long as it's the right length. It processes fast and efficiently. Here are a few pics.
IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I was looking at those as well Will but I didn't like the fact that the replacement blades were the same price as the complete saw. They do look efficient though, have you used yours much yet ?

I've used a Silky Big Boy for about a year now. It's been a great saw that is easy to pack, light and doesn't require a separate sheath for the blade.It can handle some good size timber, certainly enough for shelter building and winter fire lighting. My only gripe would be that as the saw is not fixed at both ends it's easy to twist the blade if your a bit enthusiastic with your sawing. The blade cuts very efficiently. I've not used the Duluth, previously I had a take down bucksaw which was good but a bit of a faff to put together, weighed more and didn't cut as well as the Silky does.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Shewie
I have one as I've given up on my home made buck saw. Very impressed with it. Just now trying to sort out a spare blade (so I have a dry wood and a fresh wood blade).
When researching the purchase of the buck saw I read some comments about the handle causing blisters from prolonged sawing on a USA site.
Alan

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield

Shewie,

I have one sat downstairs with a spare blade doing nothing.

If you would like I could post it up to you and you can have a try for as long as you like(actually I need it back before august). Then when you have made up your mind send it back to me and order your own:)

Cheers

Grebby

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Still using mine and still rate this saw highly. If packed correctly and the frame is folder over the retainer the blade cannot fall out of the frame. Never experienced any hot spots or blisters either, maybe they had soft hands.
Hey Rob, got the case aswell, houses a spare blade.

For fixed camp or canoe trips they are ideal, if just sawing a few branches etc then I'd probably just go with the Silky

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie,

I have one sat downstairs with a spare blade doing nothing.

If you would like I could post it up to you and you can have a try for as long as you like(actually I need it back before august). Then when you have made up your mind send it back to me and order your own:)

Cheers

Grebby

Thanks for the kind offer mate but I bought one from Tamarack shortly after starting this thread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE