Due an Upgrade on my phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've Galaxy S2, S3 and S5 and you can turn the screen off and still receive calls, play music etc with the screen off. As I type I'm listening to Radio 4 via BBC iplayer radio application on my phone and the screen is off so its a common feature on many many phones and not just Nokia or Apple.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Have you considered getting a non-smart (brick style) phone with just buttons for £10.00 and just switching the Sim card into that when out in the woods?

Leaving you free to continue the S4 elsewhere?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've Galaxy S2, S3 and S5 and you can turn the screen off and still receive calls, play music etc with the screen off. As I type I'm listening to Radio 4 via BBC iplayer radio application on my phone and the screen is off so its a common feature on many many phones and not just Nokia or Apple.

How about accessing the internet on that Samsung? typing emails or texts, can you just use the keyboard with the touch screen off, or does the capacitance sensitive touchscreen have to be active?

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The S5 Has an "Ultra Power save mode" and "Emergency Mode" Both similar just let you use different apps. They will comfortably go over a week without a charge in these modes. Often useful in some situations. Add in the afore mentioned water/dust protection and they are pretty good in a rural setting. I imported one of the LTE-A ones from Korea and they do add some pretty cool things into the mix over the EU ones.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Since I have no smartphone (its on the Xmas list), I can't tell you whats best, although my wife is happy with the Nokia Lumia series running Windows 8 (one for home, one for work).

However, I do work part time in a dept which sells a lot of tablets, so my best advice is go into a store and have a play with Iphones, Android and Windows 8, and have an open mind.

When people ask about tablets, the first question we ask is 'what phone' (and other equipment) do you have? If they have an Android phone, then thats a good start, or if Apple, then look at the Ipad - trying to use two different OS's is a pain, and the phone etc should be easy to use. I have to admit we sell more Ipad's than anything else (they are just really easy to use) , and a lot of Samsungs came back last year as Ipad's were in short supply (an Apple trait), so people bought Samsung Tab's as presents instead, because 'they are really similar'. Since people had wanted an Ipad, back came the other tablets after Christmas, and bought Ipads instead.

I suspect you've got used to the Samsung - which is perfectly fine, and perhaps an S5 would be a good step up. However, operating systems are very personal things, and once you've got used to one, its often very difficult to go to something else. I've got an Ipod Touch, so an Iphone would be perfect for me, and I have to admit I find find Android a bit fiddly. However if your used to Android, its just going to feel...different to use something else. Same with Windows 8.

Go and try them all out. See which one feels right to you, and then go from there. There is no best or worst system, just what works for you. The one thing your not going to lack is choice...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE