Blackview Phones, and Other Rugged Android Phones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
So, for a year or so I've been using a 2nd/3rd hand Samsung XCover 3 phone as a purely outdoor phone, swapping my sim card into it if i want to strap it to the handlebars of a mountain bike, take it into the woods, or a weekend with the scouts etc. It's worked adequately for this, and a nice feature has been that I could buy cheaply a few spare batteries and swap them into the phone for a more extended break.

However, it recently seems to have died, so I'm looking at current options for a replacement. I have a phone for everyday use, so this is purely something that i can use without worrying about in the mud and wet. It doesn't need to be blindingly quick, and i wouldn't want to pay much in excess of £100 or so. I'm keen on it being waterproof, have decent battery life, and an adequate camera. I'm not particularly interested in simply putting a cover over my existing phone (although that is a solution which no doubt appeals to some).

I've trawled the internet and come across a few offerings that might seem suitable, including by the company 'Blackview'. Does anyone have real world experience of using phones either by Blackview (e.g. the BV5900 model) or any of the similar mid/low range rugged phones currently available + be able to recommend anything?

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I have one of these, seems a good thing with a few bells and whistles for £130 ish on Amazon UK.

Battery last me about 6 days if wifi and gps turned off. If you are off grid longer than that some kind of solar charging or back up power

There is a "lite" model too a little cheaper. Or have a look at their king kong model.

Not a well known brand they prefer to occupy a little niche where they can keep costs down but try out various features. Runs stock android with no bloatware.

This is the second cubot phone I have had and can reccomend the brand. Last one still works fine just the version of android is so old it wont run todays apps. So I upgraded to the Quest.

Tant

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In know someone who got a cat rugged phone. He sold it on after a few months. It was the latest model too costing several hundreds of pounds. Said it was really poor quality and the camera was really bad. He often used his phone to take photos of work he's done as a kind of reference for his quality, carpet fitter. The cat phone didn't take photos he could use for that, simply not good enough.

However the top end blackview phones are really good according to reviews I've read. Cost more than your budget though. They're at least as good as middle range normal phones I think.

Reactions: TriggerRover

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
I've just bought a blackview, so far so good. It weighs about twice as much as my old phone but the battery lasts twice as long, if there's anything more specific I can help with please ask

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have one of these, seems a good thing with a few bells and whistles for £130 ish on Amazon UK.

Battery last me about 6 days if wifi and gps turned off. If you are off grid longer than that some kind of solar charging or back up power

There is a "lite" model too a little cheaper. Or have a look at their king kong model.

Not a well known brand they prefer to occupy a little niche where they can keep costs down but try out various features. Runs stock android with no bloatware.

This is the second cubot phone I have had and can reccomend the brand. Last one still works fine just the version of android is so old it wont run todays apps. So I upgraded to the Quest.

Tant

Many thanks - i had come across that too on Amazon and was considering it. The only thing I thought was that its' battery was a little smaller than some of the Blackviews - but your 6 days sounds excellent, so that might go onto the list !

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
In know someone who got a cat rugged phone. He sold it on after a few months. It was the latest model too costing several hundreds of pounds. Said it was really poor quality and the camera was really bad. He often used his phone to take photos of work he's done as a kind of reference for his quality, carpet fitter. The cat phone didn't take photos he could use for that, simply not good enough.

However the top end blackview phones are really good according to reviews I've read. Cost more than your budget though. They're at least as good as middle range normal phones I think.
Thanks, yes - I had looked at the Cat - interesting to know that it didn't meet expectations for your friend. In any respect, its over my budget really - I can't justify spending that much on a second 'part time' phone!

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Many thanks - i had come across that too on Amazon and was considering it. The only thing I thought was that its' battery was a little smaller than some of the Blackviews - but your 6 days sounds excellent, so that might go onto the list !
Turning most things off like the geolocation , wifi, bluetooth and mobile data is the key. It sits pretty much unused for 6 days, maybe a text or 2, occasional NFC payment and the odd snap. Don't expect life like that while making hour long phonecalls morning noon and night. :)
Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE