Dry Bag Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Hello peeps.

I'm looking into dry bags to waterproof some stuff inside my pack.

Looking around there seems to be a whole range of different options ranging from ultra-light "15 D Nylon with silicone coating", what seems to be middle of the ground "PU-coated Taffeta nylon", and then some heavier duty styles such as the Ortlieb designs that use materials called "PD350" and "PS490" etc.

I am flummoxed. Can anyone offer any tips and idea that you think might sway in me one direction or another? I'd like different colours to differentiate between different modules within my pack but I have no idea which type of material to go for.

Surely waterproof is waterproof? Or maybe ignorance is ignorance..

Please help! :confused:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi

Well, I have loads of Exped ones and they do the job nicely.

Alpkit do them too now and although I have not seen them, I have a lot of Alpkit stuff and reckon they will be hard to beat...

www.alpkit.com

No connections etc etc etc

ATB

KP

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Yes Exped ones are great - they are tough enough for operating inside a pack, close really well and are light.  No point in lugging around extra poundage.

The heavier gauge ones are mostly designed for operating on their own as a bag in their own right, for canoeing etc.

Also several makes don't close nearly as well as the Exped ones.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sea to Summit do some which are much lighter than the Exped ones, not quite as durable but they are lighter.

Field & Trek usually have some good deals on their website.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've got Alpkit's Airlock's, which are very keenly priced. Exped and Sea to Summit are also pretty similar in spec and price, and the Karrimor ones you get from Sports Direct are much the same (although no cheaper than anyone else's). If you look on Amazon, you can get 4 Exped bags for £17 (-XS (3litres), S (5 litres), M (8 litres) and L (13 litres)). If your comparing material, basically Alpkit's '30D Siliconised Cordura' and S to S's 'Siliconised Cordura' are very similar, and Exped's/Karrimor's 'PU coated taffeta nylon' is a little thicker.

You might take a look at Alpkit's Airlok XT bags http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16469&category_id=295 - much tougher than the usual bags (Sea to Summit do similar ones,the Dry River Bag, but at twice the price). Their out of stock at the moment but apparently due in this month http://www.alpkit.com/support/product_updates, but for not much more than the usual bag, you get tougher ones with accessory straps you can use to attach to the outside of a pack - in effect they can be extra waterproof pockets.

Bacls and Trekmates also do bags, but they tend to be heavier, and the Ortlieb bags are very good, but very heavy (although the small ones for mobiles, etc are great). Aldi recently had similar bags for about £8 for 44 litres (they do this every year). Stick to Exped, Alpkit or StoS and you'll be fine.

In fact, drybags are pretty good sign if your being ripped off by a shop. They are (or should be) pretty similar in spec (taped waterproof rollover sealed bag), and therefore much the same price (I've never seen them on offer). If your paying over the odds for them, then their probably overcharging for for other stuff as well.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Personally I'd avoid the exped ones. IME they don't have a very good closure. I have Outdoor research ones which are tough, have a D ring on the closure buckle and seal better than any other drybag I've seen that is intended for use inside the rucksack. Good enough for use in a canoe too the seal is that good. It has a bit of fabric beyond the closure webbing or strap that is at the openings of drybags. This then folds as the seal is made by rolling and is better trapped by the webbing which is slightly rounded on the outside so it forms a better rolled seal. At least that is what I think is happening to make it better than Exped.

Also Sea to Summit do some UL and medium light drybags. These have a rubberised strap at the opening on one side only. This forms a better seal than Expeds IMHO.

I know they are being used inside a sack where the fabric is less of an issue but the seal is still critical IMHO. I have not had much joy with Exped seals. BTW these are not to be used for watersports as it is often the fabric that fails. It is Sil-nylon which probably has a HH of 1500mm tops when new. This will drop in next to no time to less than 500mm which is not even classed as waterproof. This is why watersports dry bags are tough, rubberised and PU coated fabrics. Preferably coated both sides. They are heavy and not good for rucksack use.

IMHO get as light as possible if you take care of your kit or the slightly heavier ones like the exped ones if slightly tougher on gear. Or better still get the OR ones if you can find them.

All brands do different sizes in different colours. Good for organisation they say but do remember every bag has a weight which if you are gramme watching then less is more. I personally have three that I use regularly. Night kit (sleeping bag and night dry clothes), valuables/electronics (small one) and one for warm layers likely to be needed during the day (a medium one perhaps about 9litres tops). I recently started using a drybag as my food bag. I previously used an UL supermarket bag but I can jam food into a drybag better to make it a smaller pack volume. The poly bag would split. Also good if left out in a bunkhouse or bothy too as it is sealed.

I would also look at Alpkit as their stuff is good value and still performs. They just kind of copy other designs of stuff, changing them slightly or adding some innovative extra feature with their kit and it is usually good. Service is good too.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I've got a couple of the more expensive and rugged Alpkit ones. Love 'em :) Using them as sand bags for my tripod and light stands (I'm a photographer) too.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
i bought Karrimor ones from sports world when they were on sale. fantastic kit, really cheap and all my kit has been bone dry even after i left it outside overnight in a thunderstorm. :) cheap doesn't have to be rubbish. also they come in different sizes and colours so you know what's in what.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE