Dream Day / Patrol pack. Ideas please.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Personally? One-huge-pack philosophy, no compartments, just side pockets.

Chanels and such behind the side pockets: skis, fishing rods, folding bucksaws, etc.

No zippers that is absolutely essential (Klättermusen IIRC makes/made one pack with a roll-closure on a lower pocket, that is a neat idea). I'm planning ona couple of small buckles to allow zip-less closing the lid pocket on my Sabre 45.

A small pocket on the shoulder strap (compas, map, notepad, perhaps sunglasses: like a shirt pocket).

Clip points, like you have with the carabiners on your current pack: for small stuff one takes out for camp/breaks but do not want to loose (stuff sack for tarp, etc).

Drag handle so that you can hang the pack from a tree if the ground is very soggy.

Attachment points for rope and such. Plenty. Thermoplastic only lasts 25 years or so, so I'd prefer good leather.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I would highly recomend you forget about pockets and stuff on the shoulder straps. Fancy stuff on the straps tend to get caught up in all kind of s**t. Keep them clean and tidy. If you for example fall in water, go through the ice in winter or fall into a hole in a marsh, getting rid of your backpack as fast as possible could save your life.
Keep all the fancy stuff to the pack itself, and let the shoulder straps be just sholuder straps, thats my advice.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I would highly recomend you forget about pockets and stuff on the shoulder straps. Fancy stuff on the straps tend to get caught up in all kind of s**t. Keep them clean and tidy. If you for example fall in water, go through the ice in winter or fall into a hole in a marsh, getting rid of your backpack as fast as possible could save your life.
Keep all the fancy stuff to the pack itself, and let the shoulder straps be just sholuder straps, thats my advice.

Depends what you're doing - going for a walk with the kids in the local woods isn't quite the same as yomping over bog and boulder. My camera is my most reached for item - followed by my water bottle. It would be good if I had safe storage for these without needing to take my pack off.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
More this...
816SummitPack.jpg

I always really love this kind of design, but would like to make it with modular side pockets instead them being permanently on there, perhaps even make the side pocket able to serve as belt poucheshttp://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equipment/backpacks-and-bags/vintage-30-l
and Though I never had a problem with a hipstrap getting in the way I might be able to see your problem with it, yet is shouldnt be a mayor engineering challenge to get that modular as well. You have inspired me Gary I'm gonna draw something up and design a new, vintage but still innovative pack.
I will lets you guys see into the progress as that goes ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Dreadhead

i like that design iv been thinking of making something similar to strap to an external frame. looking for cheaper options than buying a load of canvas i came across old army canvas duffle bags as an option. just a big canvas tube very easy to mod. there are several on etsy and ebay.

as others have said just add buckles so you can add pouches when neccessary. ill be keeping an eye out on this to see what you come up with for some inspiration ;)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have wondered why there hasn't been a pack with strips of leather stitched on with eyes in, so could lace other pouches/kit to it.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i like that design iv been thinking of making something similar to strap to an external frame. looking for cheaper options than buying a load of canvas i came across old army canvas duffle bags as an option. just a big canvas tube very easy to mod. there are several on etsy and ebay.

as others have said just add buckles so you can add pouches when neccessary. ill be keeping an eye out on this to see what you come up with for some inspiration ;)

There's always one of these - perhaps even easier to mod
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007HQD1...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007HQD1LK

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmm.. Experimenting with my clip on belt idea doesn't seem to be very stable.

I'm probably going to just include belt loops so I can use a belt or not as I like.

Pack_Design.jpg

Very roughly, this is the plan then.

It'll probably change as I go on, the first casualty in any plan is the plan as they say but it does at least point my thoughts in the general direction I want to go in.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Hmm.. Experimenting with my clip on belt idea doesn't seem to be very stable..."

The old Lowe Vector Commando pack used two flat metal pins to secure the belt to the pack, it was very secure and stable, Here are a few pictures posted by johnboy on this earlier thread.

IMG_1138-1.jpg

IMG_1137-1.jpg

Looks like a great project so far. :)

Last edited:

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
heh, I'm thinking bout making a bag out of a lump of bright green tablecloth (it's tough - the other bit went to mend a deckchair) it's about 55x130cm.
Any ideas Wayland? It's either going to be a short-trip pack or a pack for day-to-day: Uni, bike-shopping...

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Bit of an impossible dream I think. I am forever hovering between what I consider ideal, sometimes it is hi tech and light and other times rugged and traditional, I am going more toward leather and canvas at the moment. I think my ideal right now is something that is not too big that you are tempted to stuff it with more than you really need. I have just bought myself a yugoslav pack and what I like about it is the way you can use it as a rucksack or haversack. I am probably going to pimp it.

I think a pack that you can expand by strapping additional stuff to it is the way to go, but not over the top Molle loops everywhere, just where you are likely to need them.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi Wayland
Have a look at Millican ( www.millican.com ) they make all sorts of bags and have some clever ideas
I'm a college lecturer and use one of their messenger style bags and it seems to carry all the crap I need you know laptops books students work bottle of malt etc
Not suggesting you purchase but you might get some ideas
Gary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE