Dr Lee Raye.. Bushcraft Instructor???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Its is an MA. The main difference is that that you mostly read and apply theoretical theories in Arts.

Sciences are mainly practical and structured, hands on tried and trusted methodologies.

Not knocking either as both very important skill sets, but depending on the students learning style, one area would be more preferable than the other, the importance is that the boundaries between disciplines can and should be explored.

I have always been on the practical sciences side, but can interpretate most subject areas and draw upon my experience to understand the information I need.

@Paul Moseley it would be good to hear more of your experience of the course

As for learning the outdoor skills, back in 2013, I met a professional ballet dance for the Bolshoi company, the leading Russian ballet company. He has broken almost every bone in his body for his art.

Determined not to have his children follow in his steps and to stop him ending up in a wheelchair, he had visions to open the best bushcraft school in the world.

To do this, he outlined every prestigious bushcraft school in the world and undertook every course starting at the bottom of each and working his way up.

When I met him, he had already completed the USA, and started doing the Woodlore courses, which I was on. Quite inspirational...

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That is one way of doing it, probably not a bad one. Have you heard anything of him since?
I have on occasion looked to see if I could find him, but no luck yet. Maybe as a collective of pooled resources we might be able to?

It would be interesting to find out if he completed his goal....?

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I’ve just spent two days on a trailing course with Jon Rhyder from Woodcraft School. Those two

I’ve just spent two days on a trailing course with Jon Rhyder from Woodcraft School. Those two days taught me far more than all of the books I had read and the practice I had done prior to it.
You have 2 options num 1 the free road, reading books learning in the woods,the negatives of this it might take years to learn and you still won't learn everything bushcraft is a vast skillset .Then you have option 2 pay instructors learn things faster,the negatives of this are you still won't learn everything as bushcraft is a vast skillset, courses are also very expensive.Both of these options are just as valuable it's a personal choice at the end of the day I like the challenge of self learning but that's just me everyones different.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Depending on who you are, it may be that the acquisition of the knowledge itself is not enough, the recognitions of others that you have acquired it can have value. That is where courses with paper qualifications can be useful.

The third option is a blend of option one and two, sort of grey rather than either black or white. ;) Self study before a course can make a course more rewarding and allow one to get more from it, likewise a course can teach nuances that are hard to communicate with just words and diagrams. Restricting to either option 1 or 2 is much less effective than combining them.

For instance, Stuart, who is on the Masters course posted this from relatively early on in his journey:
I would say that Stuart is the poster boy for learning and studying what one is interested in.

Actually, that thread is quite a good one to read through if one is interested in bushcraft books. It is fairly old, but there is gold there.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Its a shame we don't seem able or motivated to set up a Bushcraft Library amongst ourselves. You can always re-read a book one book at a time , but many people can read from that same book over time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The problem there is that "don't lend what you would not give" and I have very few of my prized bushcraft books that I would be willing to give away. Many are out of print and some can command high prices, at least for the time being. I have lent books in the past and some have come back stained with wine, others returned extra dog-eared, and at least one never came back at all and having lost track of who had it I had to replace it myself. The life of a "library" book is a hard one.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Depending on who you are, it may be that the acquisition of the knowledge itself is not enough, the recognitions of others that you have acquired it can have value. That is where courses with paper qualifications can be useful.

The third option is a blend of option one and two, sort of grey rather than either black or white. ;) Self study before a course can make a course more rewarding and allow one to get more from it, likewise a course can teach nuances that are hard to communicate with just words and diagrams. Restricting to either option 1 or 2 is much less effective than combining them.

For instance, Stuart, who is on the Masters course posted this from relatively early on in his journey:
I would say that Stuart is the poster boy for learning and studying what one is interested in.

Actually, that thread is quite a good one to read through if one is interested in bushcraft books. It is fairly old, but there is gold there.
I forgot to mention the 3rd option lol,I find self learning a more spiritual road though books are great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE