Dorset Bimble. Scenery and greenery.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Had a nice wander around the locale yesterday. Didn't have much of an agenda, but did take a few pics when I remembered to.

Took a detour to go up this little hill to see if any orchids were about.

Found the only one up there I reckon.

View across to where I used to live.

Picked some wild strawberries, scoffed them and then came across this. Dunno what it is.

Back on the lane to get to the start of this trail.

Damn girt thistle stood alone in the field.

I'm 6'1" and that's where it came to on me.

Would love to blast a quad down through here.

These Oaks have all the room they need to grow. Nice shade for the sheep too.

The humble beginnings of the river Parrett.
For some daft reason I decided to walk down the stream. It was totally overgrown with holly, brambles and stingers, not to mention the cleggs - I got bit on the elbow - got through it though and my shirt held up against being ripped (Craghoppers for the kit junkies!) I, however, didn't so much.

Nigella would be a perfect fit I reckon, perhaps someone's being hopeful.

A Longhorn beetle.

Off to some private woods, been some logging going on here.

A previously logged area that is now untouched, I did not see any evidence of anyone being here at all - no path, nothing. Further on, it got that overgrown and, due to the previous daft escapade of going down the stream, I couldn't be bothered to go much further.

Lots of orchids here though.

I think this is a Hairy St Johns Wort.

..........Then my batteries died.

Finished up in the pub with a pint of iced soda water and lime, then a rib eye steak.

Kit list for the day:
Tobacco.
Rizlas.
Lighter.
Seven quid cash.
Debit card.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice one Korn, some lovely pics there, i would love to own that stretch, never mind blast a quad across it!

See if you can sort that out for me mate?

That naughty old festival is getting closer buddy, is the swiss chalet still available?

Oh and i love your kit list, i have gone out with the 6 item challenge, on many a trip.

Atb.

Ivan...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nice one Korn, some lovely pics there, i would love to own that stretch, never mind blast a quad across it!

See if you can sort that out for me mate?

That naughty old festival is getting closer buddy, is the swiss chalet still available?

Oh and i love your kit list, i have gone out with the 6 item challenge, on many a trip.

Atb.

Ivan...

The festy is but a month away. Chalet is still available, slightly less stuff in there now - brother's eventually got rid of most of it.
I had a nightmare with my kit list. I couldn't decide whether to take three £2 coins and a £1 coin OR four 50p's, three £1 coins and a £2 coin.
After testing out loads of different combo's, I went for the lightweight option and took a £5 note and a £2 coin. Same with the lighter - I only took one half-filled with liquid.

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
You unknown is not Rose of Sharon but Tutsan. Another Hypericum species - Hypericum androsaemum. An easy way of checking is that Rose of Sharon has flowers that are solitary, Tutsan does not. You found lots of nice common spotted orchids too. :). Also you are correct your other plant is Hairy St John's-Wort - Hypericum hirsutum.

Last edited:

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
Ok, that's 2 (Red & yourself) for Hypericum. Certainly looks like it.
Interesting as there's no gardens for a looong stretch. Could it be spread via bird?

Tutsan is native - particularly to the south and west of the UK. But yes you are correct in saying that it is likely spread by birds.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You unknown is not Rose of Sharon but Tutsan. Another Hypericum species - Hypericum androsaemum. An easy way of checking is that Rose of Sharon has flowers that are solitary, Tutsan does not. You found lots of nice common spotted orchids too. :). Also you are correct your other plant is Hairy St John's-Wort - Hypericum hirsutum.

Good info!

Sorry for the misdirect Bushwacker - looks a lot like H. calcyinum (RoS) :eek:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a grand day out. Any day that ends in a ribeye steak has to be considered pretty golden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE