Dont batton with your knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Dont batton with your knife, it upsets some

[video=youtube_share;JmCxQN_CorM]http://youtu.be/JmCxQN_CorM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it certainly upsets me! If you need to split wood, then use the correct tool for the job: an axe or a froe.

If you really must bludgen your knife through a log, then make sure you know how to do it correctly. Don't hit the tip and don't grip the handle, both of these things put impact stresses on the blade/tang. If you gently support the handle and hit the blade directly above the wood then you can safely split logs using a penknife ;)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It's one of those things you do with some knives but not your favourite one I guess?

I do it sometimes but usually have an axe so don't bother. It doesn't upset me when someone does - a knife is for using!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have to agree........ use an Axe save your knife edge for what its meant for... cutting

ok your in a survival situation.. or just too lazy to carry an Axe... well make some gluts...

Or just learn to use an Axe safely...

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I baton with a knife all the time plus I use axe and a have several froes. Only issues i have observed is when people bash the finger guard into a log.

I have never broken a knife with a baton. Broken lots of batons though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
EDIT....Sorry Wayne, I've cross posted with you. I agree wholeheartedly :D

:rolleyes:

:D

It's a skill, understand how to do it. Don't hit your knife with anything hard enough to mark the metal and it'll be fine.

Ye gods, folks scrape firesteels with their knives :yikes: battoning is just splitting the fibres apart enough to let the timber split down it's length under any extra pressure. Learn to make and use wedges.

If I can do it and not bust my knives, then surely the younger, much fitter and stronger males can too.

M

Last edited:

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
must admit i have often done so. though usually due to lack axe or froe. Never knowingly damaged a knife doing it. I assume you dont do it as you make break/damage your knife doing it or is it more of a your damaging your knife a little everytime. Excuse my ignorance.
didnt realise folks got so upset about it... will now go sit on the naughty step.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What about cheapo hack knives? They are pretty much designed specifically for the job.
Great for cleaning hard putty out of old windows.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

The log coggled at this one to the left, so I left it and went for the other side knowing I'd get the first side later.

IMG_8978.JPG

Once the cut is made a wedge battoned in helps break apart even the most stubborn of logs :)

IMG_8979.JPG

IMG_8980.JPG:D

Kindling ! :D

IMG_8982.JPG

Feather sticks, and small splints

IMG_8985.JPG

Stropping to tidy up.

IMG_8986.JPG

Knife in sheath :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For splitting and cutting, but I'm sure you knew that anyway. ;)

LOL. I meant the broader "why."

At home or in a base camp, use an axe

On a short day hike or overnighter, if it's big enough it needs to be split, just don't use it; get a smaller stick. If it's too big to break over your knee; put it in the fire and it'll burn in two.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I will use a knife up to wrist thickness and an axe after that. seems to work for me and ive never broked a knife

Up to wrist thickness I just burn whole. Thicker wood I don't use unless in a base camp or home fireplace with a proper axe.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Some people go mad and baton all the way down a long log when they could easily use a wedge cut from a side branch to finish the job started by their knife.

However, for me the point about batoning is that you should be able to do it because you cant guarantee having an axe with you when you need one. This is especially true in the more survival oriented scenarios. Even if we are just on a happy stroll, it is often difficult to carry an axe without getting shot by an armed response unit.

For these reasons, my take on the 'bushcraft knife' is that it is a small knife that can step up to do big jobs when you need it to.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Up to wrist thickness I just burn whole. Thicker wood I don't use unless in a base camp or home fireplace with a proper axe.

if im prepping wood mate its usually for a honey stove or similar wood burner and the uk provides us with a lot of damp wood. i find splitting wrist thick stuff gives me a shot at finding the drier inner. if the wood is well seasoned and dry ill burn thinner stuff whole.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I think half of the reasoning behind using your knife is it is an easy way to adhere to the idea of using as few items as possible to do as much as possible. I always think that is at the core of Bushcraft thinking.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
if im prepping wood mate its usually for a honey stove or similar wood burner and the uk provides us with a lot of damp wood. i find splitting wrist thick stuff gives me a shot at finding the drier inner. if the wood is well seasoned and dry ill burn thinner stuff whole.

You can also just whittle the wet bit off the outside to get to the dry inside of a thinner stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE