Dogs and Tents (how do people cope)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I was just wondering how many people on here backpack wildcamp with their faithful hounds. Obviously on a lovely dry night there are no logistical nightmares to deal with.

But picture this. A 9 or 10 mile mountain walk with high winds and driving rain having found a suitable pitch the tent goes up and man and hound enter. At this point when I go all hell breaks loose. My very obedient Border collie instantly shakes soaking everything.

I sometimes if quick enough take the worst of the wet off with a pack towel. Then there is the unfurling of my lovely down sleeping bag which Skye seems to think is for her to lie on:rant: .

Then there is cooking etc to contend with. I love walking with her but there must be a way to make it easier. So do any fellow dog owners on here have any tips on how they organise themselves.

:thanks: folks.

Andy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
get the dog a raincoat?
seriously. also blankets for the dog to lie on, once she's happy she has her own spot she won't get your down bag wet :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't agree with putting coats on dogs, it can overheat them and possibly restrict movement.

How about a seperate little tent for the dog?

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a kennel tent. :dunno:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't agree with putting coats on dogs, it can overheat them and possibly restrict movement.

I think I actually saw one of those in Go Outdoors a while ago, bless 'em

Up here in Scotland in the wet and sometimes very cold, my dog gets to wear his waterproof coat, esp in winter. He's a collie cross and does quite well in the cold but not the wet and cold, and rather than see him shiver I put his coat on. He sleeps in it when camping too. I know sheepdogs don't wear coats and all that but rarely are sheep dogs sitting around for long in the wet and cold, they usually run around and keep warm that way. At a camp or when out I'd rather see my dog comfortable than subject him to shivering to keep warm.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
If I take my black Lab with me I generally use a tent and if she's wet or been swimming I have a poncho or tarp set up like an awning. Give her a dry with a microfibre towel and let her lie on one near the fire to dry out. Luckily her coat dries quickly.

T

Trappertje

Hi Andy,
I also like to go hiking and camping with the dogs. I have two Golden Retrievers that enjoy to be outdoors with me.
I own a one-and-a-half-person tent. The inner tent is 2,5 meters long and 80 cm wide near the food end. At shoulder end it is about 1,40(?) One dog lies at the head end and the other one next to my shoulders.
The tens has an entrance on both sides of the tent, so one is in use as storage for packs and burners and stuff. But its a really small tent where you don't want the dogs to shake themselves!

I have learned my dogs to shake themselves on command. It is really easy: start using the word "shake" at the moment the dog is already shaking itself. Then immediately praise/reward. Soon the dog will understand what you mean. (This also comes in use before you enter the house.) This will help to get rid of most of the water.
A lightweight, quick drying towel can be an extra help to prevent you from having a (still) wet dog in the tent.
Then, when the tent is set up, and it is time to go to bed, I always direct them to their own pads before I even unfold my own sleeping bag.
By the way, my dogs have packs of their own. In that, they carry their pads and a little more. About 1.5 kilo per dog maximum (30 kilo dog)

Hope this helps.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
That sound like sound advice trappertje will have to try that but the tarp poncho porch sounds good too. I thought there would be more people who travel with their muts in tow thoug I suppose from a bushcraft wild life spotting point of view they may cause problems.

I use a Wild country voyager only has one porch so when its due to be replaced ill look at hillerberg me thinks. However in the summer and spring I think its gonna be tarps and bivvy from now on seems to make more sense.

My dog is a rescue dog and still very nervous. He likes to keep close at night. When Hammocking , he sleeps under me on a kip mat, usually wrapped up in his towel or my jacket. In midge season, I make a wee midge free tent out of netting for him. I'm going to buy a uk army midge tent (£10 or so) just for him for this purpose.

When ground hugging, he sleeps curled up behind my knees, either under the sleeping bag in winter(used as a quilt) or a poncho/jacket for the rest of the time.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I took my dog on a overnighter,he is a labrador/collie cross but more like a small doberman.and he slept in the hammock with me,but got to say it wasn't the best nights sleep,going to use my new bivy bag at the weekend under my tarp and see how we get on.If that's no good thinking about getting a pop up ,one man tent for us,coz if your going for a long hike you want the dog with you and there great company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE