Camping with dogs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Hi all, ill be going on a 10day trip into the Slovenian alps. Now i was thinking of brining my dog with me, as i do on many trips. However, it has been reported that there should be heavy rain and thunder storms, i see that as thor challenging me, but i am almost certain that my dog doesn't really grab the context of mythology let alone understand it. Now i know that my dog is scared of fireworks (as most dogs are) and im just questioning on how the loud and lovely thuder storms and the cold rain are going to effect her :umbrella:? Is there any thing that i can buy/do to protect her or should i just not take her with me? And if there are any bushcraft dog owners with similar experiences?

Cheers Floki

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
More importantly, how are you going to take sharing a tent/tarp etc with a wet dog? ;)

If she's scared of fireworks, id imagine she'll be afraid of thunder. Im sure she'd get through it though. You'll know her best of anyone here.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
i dont really have a tent i try to keep it as traditional as possible and make shelter with the surrounding materials that i can find. however i am thinking of bringing a hammock with me. Im just scered that she will freeze :/

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You need to see if she'll go for a walk with you in a thunder storm, and if she does, how she behaves; if she's nervous or frightened, or if she refuses to go, it would be cruelty to take her camping when you expect such weather and couldn't do anything about it.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I take my dog out with me every time I go camping. As does my mate. One thing I would recommend is either a good fleece lined dog jacket (doubles up as a way to cover a damp dog who has been in the rain/swimming!) I have woken up to find my dog had wriggled out from under his blanket and is visibly shivering.

Dogs like us use a lot more calories to keep warm when outdoors for extended periods. So there is that, a jacket or blanket. (Even my Rottweiler needed his jacket)

Secondly, I went tarp camping with him and he decided to go for a wander at night in the rain, his lead was pegged to the ground which in hindsight caused issues, he walked all the way around te tarp, back to bed and pulled half the guy lines out. I ran around at 4am in the rain re pitching it all and came back to him trying to crawl into my sleeping bag!

A tent or similar enclosed shelter (full lean to) would be recommended.

Finally. And not least. Don't fall asleep with food nearby. You will wake up hungry and the dog will have a full stomach!

I love taking the dog out and he loves it too. I hope you go ahead with it and both enjoy it.

PS folding dog bowls are a great thing to invest in!

Atb

Stevie's just realised u take them, and this is specific to weather. You can buy weather and sound file DVDs for training dogs (google search) which can be good to find out how nervous they are!
Hope it works out.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have had to give up my sleeping bag to a cold damp dog on more than one occasion that was quietly shivering uncontrollably.

Petsistent rain or a swim will soak their coats and hold water close to their skin chilling them. Just like us they need insulating from the ground. A blanket or old sleeping bag is fine.

You can get medication from the vet for anxiety for the fireworks. It should calm them during the worst thunder.

Although it can get pretty loud in the Alps. I have been scared of thunderstorms during climbing trips myself.

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has found Valerian root to act as mild sedative to prevent car sickness while travelling with his dog, who is now under my care. I should think this would help her relax if he/she's feeling stressed. Best advice says it should be given in small doses over a number of days surrounding the event, which in your case would be more suitable as the exact timing of the event can't be predicted. I consider the animal's well-being as I would my own so I try to give mine the same conditions as I give myself, even if this means sharing a bed. I assume you already use a topical tick and flea treatment such as Advantix, but if not, I would consider this essential, especially when travelling on the continent.

If she's been with you since a pup and you haven't experienced thunder together I'm guessing she's quite young? I think gentle exposure where possible and consistent reassurance from you should get her used to these kind of stressors. Dogs learn as humans do; quickly when young, but less so once response patterns have been wired in. But I believe that if the dog is generally of a resilient nature all stress responses can be overcome. One thing I've learnt from my relatively short time with dogs is that they, like people, and even more so as their language comprehension is limited, tend respond more to the emotional atmosphere than verbal commands. The best reassurance from you is a deep, relaxed smile. If you fuss too much when they are afraid it might reinforce that there is something to worry about. This comes from personal experience and a conversation with a vet/trainer who's experience lies with working dogs.

I'm sure if he/she's spent time out with you before it won't be too much of a step up. Good training.

Best wishes with your trip. Hope to hear the results and/or decision you make.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a very tight-fitting dog covering called a "Thunder Shirt." I know that sounds really strange but it works very, very well for both storms and fireworks.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
You can buy a dog coat wich is fleece lined a double waterproof. There not heavy or expencive. All dogs are scared of loud noises at first as they assosiate the with danger .try making a loud bang mean something good like a treat . I have kept working dogs all my life and none have bee scared of loud bangs because they are used tithe loud bang of the guns ( I shoot shot gun) they see a loud bang as a positive thing because it means they get to retrieve what I have shot then they get a fuss and a stroke .. If you dog has a good thick coat on it and you also buy it a dog coat it will be fine. I lost one of my dogs in middle of winter while working heavy gorse bushes and that night it dropped well below freezing the next day I went back to were she was last seen and the farmer said he found her curled up under a gorse bush perfectly fine . Dogs are tough critters . Aslong as its not one them little lap dogs

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Thank you all for the lovely advice and the suggestions. I decided on taking her with me, with a nice warm blanket, but when i get some money together i will make sure to buy her a nice dog coat. I had her as a pup and she is pretty small compared to a wolf but she is no damn lap dog :) Over the period of six years she grew into a well behaved and strong hiking dog. ill try to do my best to help her over come the fear of thunder + the weather is not going to be as rough as it was thought so thats a bonus

(shes a tibetan terrier)

Cheers Floki

Last edited:

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Any sort of terrier blood is good blood lol .i have owned acouple of terriers that were harder than coffin nails lol .let her snuggle in to you or just stroke her while the thunder strikes she'll soon get used to Thor beating his mighty hammer against his anvil

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's a very tight-fitting dog covering called a "Thunder Shirt." I know that sounds really strange but it works very, very well for both storms and fireworks.

The Thunder Shirt works partially because it dissipates the static charge in the atmosphere (which dogs sense through their hairs) Gunshot and fireworks noises have no such charge associated with them, but they might be getting a sense of security from the shirt?

......All dogs are scared of loud noises at first as they assosiate the with danger .try making a loud bang mean something good like a treat . I have kept working dogs all my life and none have bee scared of loud bangs because they are used tithe loud bang of the guns ( I shoot shot gun) they see a loud bang as a positive thing because it means they get to retrieve what I have shot then they get a fuss and a stroke.....

......Dogs are tough critters . Aslong as its not one them little lap dogs

I've also had some success training dogs out of their gunshyness. That said, I've found the cause to be the opposite: No dogs I've ever owned or worked with were "born" gunshy (a generic term for fear of ANY loud noise, i.e. gunshots, thunder, or fireworks) they developed it later after being frightened by something.

Regarding the little dogs, few are tougher than a JRT, or a Feist.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Used to work in a vets and fear of fireworks or thunder is very common. One thing we taught is to not make a fuss. The dog looks to you as it's pack leader and if you're making a big fuss after a loud bang it thinks something must be wrong. If you're as chill as possible even to the point of ignoring the pet (this is about as easy as ignoring a crying child or a hungry wife) they realise there's nothing to panic about.

marra33

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
Cumbria lake district
I have a beddlington terrier than often accompanies me on my walks, yet to take him out camping yet though, and my son has two British bulldogs that just love the long walks in the fells also I would highly recommend the hurrta dog jackets, they are very waterproof, and keep the dogs dry and warm on crappy days

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
We have a border terrier. Happy at home or up the hills. She's 10 now and we're looking for another dog to accompany her and learn from her before she gets past coping with another!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE