Does this tool exist?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was doing some weeding yesterday and couldn't believe how tough & long bramble roots are. My trowel didn't feel up to the job.

What I'd like is a tool like a machete/parang but with a scooped end like a trowel so I can dig or hack with it. Must be really strong when levering out soil

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I saw a thread on here awhile ago featureing a "hori hori" - some sort of japanese gardening knife...........

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Spot on Dave! A bit disappointed that I hasn't invented something new but that looks like just what I need, thanks! :D

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I picked up an awesome hand-forged daisy grubber from Tools for Self Reliance in Crickhowell. Really beefy, more like a crowbar than a weeding tool. Great for long stubborn roots.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Get a trenching spade and sharpen the edge up - works wonders and provides more cutting power and leverage against the roots than a trowel can:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How can people not sharpen spades......I've never understood that?

Spandit, these make a great alternative - only 1lb in weight but like a mini mattock and pick - great for chopping out tree roots etc.

f4e1_1.JPG

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Trenching tool is too wide for my purposes - this Hori Hori tool looks perfect. As someone mentioned, taking it out in the bush would have its advantages too

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How can people not sharpen spades......I've never understood that?

Spandit, these make a great alternative - only 1lb in weight but like a mini mattock and pick - great for chopping out tree roots etc.

View attachment 12845

I was skimming some ground the other week and realised the mattock was blunt - sharpen on the grinder and suddenly oh so sweet!! :D

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE