Does damp make a difference?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I tried it last night. I woke at 2am cold. Ate some sausage and slept on warm until 6am. So now I'm a believer in the food factor!

The last few nights have been markedly colder, I’ve adjusted my outdoor dog walking clothing to full winter and still feel the chill. I think there’s a bit of acclimatising to do, and as the title of your thread suggests, damp cold does seem to be worse.

Reactions: Sub5mango

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
The last few nights have been markedly colder, I’ve adjusted my outdoor dog walking clothing to full winter and still feel the chill. I think there’s a bit of acclimatising to do, and as the title of your thread suggests, damp cold does seem to be worse.
Definitely!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks. Yesterday I played with different tarp set ups and the plough point was my favourite! Definitely going to overnight with that one once I get my mat sorted :)

I'm glad you like the plow point configuration. It's much warmer offers realy good protection from wind... (my last camp there was a lot of strong winds). .... and you still get a good view.
It's also a very quick set up and you don't need to string up a ridgeline. I'm all for making things easy as possible !
These quicker shelter is up the quicker the kettle is on. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Definitely!

I confess I won’t be emulating your experiments outdoors at night. I’m sat in front of the log burner that’s been eating it’s own calories for the past few nights, while working my way through a box of tissues (a week of it now :(). Though we do have an electric blanket on our bed, it’s very rarely used. The hot water bottles are, I’ve just chucked a couple in, well wrapped they hold heat most of the night. Worth considering external means to stay warm, tucked between your thighs the heat is quickly taken in. There’s great comfort and cheer waking chilly and finding one in the night. :)

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
I confess I won’t be emulating your experiments outdoors at night. I’m sat in front of the log burner that’s been eating it’s own calories for the past few nights, while working my way through a box of tissues (a week of it now :(). Though we do have an electric blanket on our bed, it’s very rarely used. The hot water bottles are, I’ve just chucked a couple in, well wrapped they hold heat most of the night. Worth considering external means to stay warm, tucked between your thighs the heat is quickly taken in. There’s great comfort and cheer waking chilly and finding one in the night. :)
I've heard I can use nalgene bottles for that. In a sock. Is that right?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've heard I can use nalgene bottles for that. In a sock. Is that right?
Nalgene bottles are expensive. I use an aluminium "sigg style" water bottle from mountain warehouse £3.99. These can get very hot and burn if you don't insulate them well. I have a neoprene sock for it made out of a sleeve from a thrown away wetsuit, which saves me burning my hands when I fill it up, and then you can wrap it in a thick sock. But the neoprene thing isn't realy nessasary. A thick sock works just as well. And in the morning one foot is gonna be toasty! :) :) :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Even an empty Coke bottle will work fine, just be careful to add some cold to the hot water or the bottle will go a bit soft.

Plenty of stainless steel bottles on AliExpress. Nalgene, Sigg, Klean Kanteen are expensive as WG says. But, yeah, wrap in a t-shirt and a sock, relax, enjoy.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Even an empty Coke bottle will work fine, just be careful to add some cold to the hot water or the bottle will go a bit soft.

Plenty of stainless steel bottles on AliExpress. Nalgene, Sigg, Klean Kanteen are expensive as WG says. But, yeah, wrap in a t-shirt and a sock, relax, enjoy.
Sorry Nice 65...
I have to disagree with you on the plastic coke bottle. I've seen them melt with hot tap water. ! The results could be disastrous especially if you rolled on it in the night and it broke :( :(
It's worth getting a metal bottle and insulating it properly. I've found the neoprene sleeve is fantastic. The water is still a bit warm in the morning so it can spend less time heating for your brew.
They can be bought for less than a fiver on the wonderweb. I saw this idea and figured I could make one myself.. being a lover of homemade and a skinflint!. I simply cut the sleeve from a child's wetsuit that was knackered. Cut a circle for the bottom of the flask. Sewed it together and made a kind of bag to put it in.
I don't buy plastic anything if I can help it and a metal bottle lasts for years and won't leach plastic particles into your water.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah, I have used them, well actually an empty 2ltr cider bottle, but only with water run out of the hot tap. I was living in a very cold box room at the time and had pneumonia so no way of getting out to buy a proper bottle. It did the trick, but I certainly knew when it rolled out and landed on the floor.:)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well I guess in an emergency like that it was a resourceful idea.
I would not be a happy bunny if the thing split while on a winter camp out. Wet sleeping bag and possibly a scald.
Nah! I'll stick with the aluminium water bottle. I'm a skinflint yes... but not that much!!!!!!
Mind you saying that, if it was all I had, then I'd probably go with it. I hate being cold! :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The supermarkets, and places like B&M's, Home Bargains, etc., have metal bottles very reasonably priced. To be honest though, a hot water bottle costs maybe four quid in same places, and the screw thread is pretty much guaranteed not to leak. They're flexible and comfortable to cuddle too :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I miss my old camping teasmaid. ... my partner sadly no longer here.
It was lovely to stay in my bag and have a brew brought to me.
Have to do it myself now.:(
such is life. Can't complain. Do realy miss that cuppa in bed though. My one well loved luxury.
Camping teasmaids are rare though. Never seen one on eBay yet :) :)

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
It does look good. However recently my hips have been getting sore during the night and I'm wondering whether a 7cm air mat is going help with that more than a 4cm mat like the summit. You got any experience of the relative comfort for aged and dodgy joints?!
I AM aged and definitely dodgy!! I have to say that it has not been an issue and I;m a side sleeper, though I understand your concern! And yes, it is insulated.
My partner, dare I say it is older than I, prefers it to the air bed we used to use when glamping it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE