Have a look at the Exped DownMat. I'm very, very impressed with mine.Thanks. I have thermals I can use. I think the problem is my mat. I just found out it only has a summer rating.
Having a good mat is more important than a 'good' sleeping bag - it is the mat that insulates you from the ground
It has a comfort rating of -24*C, rolls up 'fairly' small and weighs in at 880g, Built in pump,
DownMat 7 M
Size: 183x52x7 cm / 72x20x2.8"
Weight: 880 g / 31 oz
Packed: 23x16 cm / 9x6"
Fill Weight**: 170 g / 6 oz
Temperature: -24°C / -11°F
Heat loss is dramatically reduced with down insulation inside the mat, as demonstrated by EMPA, the Swiss Federal Labaratories for Materials Testing and Research, and field tests by expeditions. The thick cushion of air also provides comfort and smooths out uneven ground. And as down compresses extremely well, Downmats packs smaller than other insulated mats.
· DownMat is unmatched for winter camping and sleeping on snow.
· Both low profile valves (pat. pend) one for inflation and the other for deflation ensure ease of use. As the valves are flat and not on the mat's edge they do not protrude and are therefore protected and durable.
· Light foam blocks at the mat's ends prevent down from escaping or migrating between chambers.
· Laminated polyester fabric is both durable, airtight and humidity resistant. The shell's top surface is of brushed polyester fabric that provides excellent slip resistance and comfort next to the skin. Dark colours dry quickly. The seams are high frequency welded for durability.
· Two loops at the head end can be used to secure the packsack to the mat when used as a pillow.
· Light and warm: The DownMat 7 has a R-Value of 5.9. At about the same weight a standard 2.5 cm self inflating mat only has a R-Value of 2.5. Further EMPA tests demonstrated that regular mats lose 3x more heat to cold ground than to the air. The conclusion: use a lighter weight sleeping bag with a DownMat to achieve consistent overall comfort, and still reduce weight and bulk!
· Exped only uses IDFL-certified goose down, specially treated to eliminate the effects of humidity that may reach the mat's interior.
This could be worth watching - Exped 9, even better insulation that the Exped 7. Down to -38*C
New Price is £180