does anyone use putties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
after catching lymes 2 years ago, i usually wear gaitors when out walking in winter as the areas i cover are prone to tick infestation.
gaitors are okay in winter wet weather but not summer,and as i wear short socks that dosent allow me to tuck my trousers in .
then i cast my mind back to when i was younger and remembered british army putties which you can still get for a fiver but wondered if anyone else used them

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Yes always wear them in the summer months. I dont know why others havent seen the protection they give against ticks and other creepys that like to get up your trouser leg. Also a good multi purpose item. A sling for a broken arm, strapping for a splint etc. Many of the uses the bandanna can be used for. They are also cheap. £4 from the Army Surplus. Try some, they work.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
thanks for the replies, that exactly what i was considering them for ,and also stopping the water and dirt getting into the top of your boots if you do tuck your trousers into your socks

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a pair and they are very useful - protecting trousers in wet/muddy conditions, protecting legs and ankles from biting insects. They are light, easy to put on and easy to stash in a daysack.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup! Ditto the comments above,

Used them in the forces a few (ahem) years ago and resurrected them when I began getting rubbish in the top of my boots - now they are a regular part of my kit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Hi
Puttees are quite popular with some people in NZ - they are quite an Old School piece of bush wear. My father in law - who was a deer culler and logger - has his own home made ones made out of old towel and long boot laces - just like he's been wearing for 50 years!
Quite a few people wear short gaiters, which they call puttees, but you can also get "proper" wool ones
http://www.sewlovely.co.nz/shop/Outdoor+Wear/Puttees+or+Gaitors.html
http://www.penguindirect.co.nz/hunting-youth-range-puttees-from-p-101.html

Here's a couple of links (not related, no kickbacks for me etc etc).

And they are ALWAYS worn with short shorts in the bush. So your Swannie hides your shorts and you look like some sort of medieval oddball... It's practically the law!!!!

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
Here in Western Australia when out bush in tick country I tuck my trousers into my socks and use sock protectors such as those below. This keeps most of the blighters at bay.
db_file_img_2379_340x340.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Oooo, no! Missus! Wouldn't be seen dead in them. Decent pair of gaiters (especially Yetis) please if you have to. Frankly, I live in Scotland and have lived in Southern Central Germany, go walking in tick areas in shorts and short boots and I just check myself in the evenings - sometimes use DEET. Something quite satisfying about tick removal... No problems yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE