Does Anyone Not Carry A Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I never leave home without these in my pocket. Period. It doesn't matter where I'm going or what I'm doing if I walk out the door and realize I didn't grab them, I turn right around and go back inside to pick them up. I think it would be appropriate for me to say that as soon as I get dressed, I slip these two "tools" into my pockets. For me, one of the worst feelings I can have is when I realize how screwed I'd be if I didn't have them with me!

Adam

ZippoandKnife.jpg

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
I carry a SAK huntsman whenever I step out the door. I would rather carry a slipjoint or barlow (for aesthetic reasons) but I don't own one (yet) and I can't give up the extra uses of a sak.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
The only time I'll not have a knife of some sort on me is when I'm on an airliner or in some sort of government building that prohibits it, like a court building.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Bisamratte said:
My sak lives in my pocket.......unless I'm not allowed to have it there like in an aeroplane. Is it such a bad thing carrying around something to aid your daily cutting tasks or should I replace it with child safety scissors? :nono:

You probably could get done with those as well! Have you heard the one about a young guy being arrested for barking back at a dog? The coppers decided he was causing distress to the dogs and their owner, even though the said owner had no problem with this. No I am not jocking :( It was in one of the broad sheets, the guy was in a cell for some hours, taken to court by the CPS. The case was thrown out of court by the obviously sensible judge. Cost?: £8000 to the taxpayer.

So I would not hold my breath you are safe with safety scissors :D

I use a SAK most of the time, again depends what I am doing.

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
addyb said:
What do you mean aesthetic reasons? Since when are solid, functionable, workable tools supposed to look good? :)

Erh... I can't be the only one who think the old barlows and stag handled slippies look better than a SAK, but a SAK just has more uses. :D

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
jojo said:
You probably could get done with those as well! Have you heard the one about a young guy being arrested for barking back at a dog? The coppers decided he was causing distress to the dogs and their owner, even though the said owner had no problem with this. No I am not jocking :( It was in one of the broad sheets, the guy was in a cell for some hours, taken to court by the CPS. The case was thrown out of court by the obviously sensible judge. Cost?: £8000 to the taxpayer.

So I would not hold my breath you are safe with safety scissors :D

I use a SAK most of the time, again depends what I am doing.

:togo:

nuf said

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chris-N said:
Erh... I can't be the only one who think the old barlows and stag handled slippies look better than a SAK, but a SAK just has more uses. :D
Nope you aren't the only one!

I have a SAK and its a fantastic tool but I do prefer the look when Shinken or Bushwacker Bob have replaced the Red plastic with some decent wood.

Probably my age showing - I'm not keen on plastic generally ;)

Red

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
demographic said:
During work hours I always have a stanley knife in my tool belt (I work as a carpenter) but for the most of the rest of my life I don't carry a knife.

Yes they can be very usefull but I have managed years without carrying on as part of my daily life so a bit longer won't hurt.

I do however take one camping but don't feel the need to pull it out at every opportunity to show everyone just how cool it is and how much use it is blah blah blah....

well i guess this matches my experience more than others. i dislike the concept of " feeling undressed without" anything. each to his own i guess. please dont get me wrong im not anti anything just interested . I work with a bunch of folk whose "kit" attitudes cover the whole spectrum from minimalist to whatever the opposite of that is ! ,as a result i am always interested in thought proccesses..

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
If you see me out of my bath. You can bet I have a slip joint in my pocket
and a 5in lock blade on my belt. Also Sig .380 in a pancake at the small of my back. Just not dressed without them.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Bah, I don't think that old Barlows and slipjoints are any better at all than SAKs. I still have my Grandfathers old Barlow from the '40s and while it has alot of sentimental value, I prefer my little red plastic Victorinox. Maybe its because I'm young and grew up with new technology at my fingertips? To each his or her own I guess!

Cheers,

Adam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
JURA said:
well i guess this matches my experience more than others. i dislike the concept of " feeling undressed without" anything. each to his own i guess. please dont get me wrong im not anti anything just interested . I work with a bunch of folk whose "kit" attitudes cover the whole spectrum from minimalist to whatever the opposite of that is ! ,as a result i am always interested in thought proccesses..

Maiximalist??

:D

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
I have carried a knife of one sort or another since I was about 8 years old ( 40 odd years ago :) ).

When I was young it was a cheap slippie of the type sold in newsagents with the celuloid scales all my mates had one, nowadays it is usually a SAK soldier for edc and a frosts for the woods.

Martin

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
You can't beat a sak in your pocket, I got mine for my 21st birthday and its still going strong 12 years later.
Don't do what I did recently and try and sterilise em in your trangia by boiling, it causes the plastic scales to crack and warp, I might have a go at making some wood replacements.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have carried a knife for as long as i can remember.
I carried a pocket knife when i was at school, i can't remember being without a knife except when flying, (which i consider a rediculous situation as in reality the real risk when flying is unlikely to come from a SAK or any knife for that matter :rolleyes: ).
I use my knives constantly and i feel i can justify carrying them.
I am in contact with the police fairly regularly and have used knives in front of police without a problem and without attracting attention.
When was the last time you were stopped by the police for no reason ?
I'm not saying we should all start carrying knives but the law is there to protect us not victimise us so if you can justify having it you should not have a problem.
I think people worry a lot about being "caught with a knife", why feel guilty for carrying a tool ????
A hammer is a tool , a screwdriver is a tool and both can be used as a weapon and would land you in trouble if you used them as such.
IMO you should consider a knife a tool, select a suitable tool for the task in hand and use it as such.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I carry a SAK in my bag that I take to work everyday. Mostly for cutting up boxes and incase I need the screwdrivers. I used to have a scarab on my keys and found it useful now and again but took it off a few months ago and haven't missed it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE