Does Anyone Not Carry A Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Apologies if this appears a bit odd, but does anyone else go about their daily life not carrying a knife ? Or am i the odd one ?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I dont carry a knife for the vast majority of my daily-life.

It dosent fit in with my current way of life; being a IT Technician at a secondary school I dont think my employers would appreciate me having my frosts mora on my belt. However even in this job I have found the need for a blade again and again, tried out having my multi-tool on my belt but it just got in the way at times, I've got a new belt now, might try it again.

A good knife; being one of the most useful tool's I have come across, I wish I did have more of a oppertunity in my daily-life to carry a blade on my person, just for the shear convenience and readiness, but at the same time it appears knifes are becoming more and more "socially-unacceptable" thanks to a whole load of dimwits who carry blades for all the wrong reasons.

Gailainne

Life Member
I suppose its what you class as a knife, my serbertool has one blade it measures 36 mm, if I'm out its with me. I carry a SAK champ on my belt, when I camp, knifes ie woody clone etc I carry in my ruck/daysack till its needed.

Stephen

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
JURA said:
Apologies if this appears a bit odd, but does anyone else go about their daily life not carrying a knife ? Or am i the odd one ?

I always carry a knife. I use it about 80 times a day! (opening rat boxes).

John

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have a sebertool m4 tucked into the zipped compartment in my key wallet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No you're not TOMO, even though this forum may make is sound as though you may be.
Despite the fact that they are one of the most useful things ever invented the social mores of our society inhibit carrying them without a real need; and that's reflected in most of our lives.
In my own case the answer is really, "well it depends on what I'm being that day." Forest schools, archaeology, craft work, living history, foraging, then yes I'll carry a knife. If I'm working in schools, doing costume stuff, research...then no I won't.
Cheers,
Toddy

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
My sak lives in my pocket.......unless I'm not allowed to have it there like in an aeroplane. Is it such a bad thing carrying around something to aid your daily cutting tasks or should I replace it with child safety scissors? :nono:

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I carry a small sak generally. I quite often use it to do anything from open parcels to pc cases. When out walking I carry a larger locking sak. I'm a software developer but will pretty much use my pocket knife at least once a day.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup. Every day (unless flying etc.)

My grandad carried one like it - a proper Sheffield handmade pocket knife

Sub 3" slip joint so no problem with the law. I remember my grandads lived in the right hand pocket of his cardigan. It was used for everthing from a dibber to cutting string to pruning. I love mine - its a memory and a tool and it just feels right - rosewood, brass and a litte bit of my grandad

495025798_4239b9c521.jpg

Red

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Always have one. If I'm going somewhere where it would be a bad idea to have one I have to check my key rings, pockets, bags, etc to make sure there isn't one lurking around that I'd forgot about.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
During work hours I always have a stanley knife in my tool belt (I work as a carpenter) but for the most of the rest of my life I don't carry a knife.

Yes they can be very usefull but I have managed years without carrying on as part of my daily life so a bit longer won't hurt.

I do however take one camping but don't feel the need to pull it out at every opportunity to show everyone just how cool it is and how much use it is blah blah blah....

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I usually have a knife somewhere in a pocket.
If I am going to the pub I will usually remember to empty my pockets, but going to the woods I just assume it is there. It is the opposite of some people but I spend more time in the woods than I do in a town.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
carried a knife since I started fishing, I was ten or so, had a two bladed knife in my pocket or on my hip until I was nearly 40, only stopped carrying it in plain sight recently. (in the last few years) I kept a knife on my key ring since I had my first key to the door, a SAK
I got my first some 30 years ago, and it is still going strong (ok it's only use now a days is my daughter uses it to sharpen her pencils) it's somewhat like this one but old and battered silver two bladed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE