Does anybody else hate DPM ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I must admit to being a little surprised to see so many people wearing camo at the Bushcraft show last weeknd , as has been said each to their own , but I was surprised especialy in such high temperatures on Friday

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Until recently i never owned any camo gear, never gave it much thought one way or the other, and certainly payed little attention to who was or was not wearing it.

Then along came Dan Cam Smock group buy, and i couldnt resist!! having owned several types and brands of waterproofs over the years, i believe the Dan Cam is one of the best waterproof jackets i have owned, and certainly the best value! Once i have it on i am not even aware of it being camo, but i am aware that it keeps me dry , warm and has a shed load of pockets.

Do i care what other people think, not a jot!!!!!!!!!

Well said that man.

I have a cammo jacket with bulging pockets but I can't remember the last time I wore it, however the dutch heavy canvas cammo over trousers are really heavy duty and are great for wading through waist high stinging nettles without so much as a tingle.

Not so happy about pouches and kit etc having DPM, but if that's all they have then I'll buy it. I did buy a self inflating mattress the other month (which leaked) that was in French dpm with a matching stuff bag. I thought that was a bit extreme. When I see cammo torches and cigerette lighters I just wince. Those I think are naff. Just my personal opinion though.

When in the woods I'd much rather were earthy colours than anything else though. Doesn't make me feel tactical, just blending in with the surroundings.

I'd laugh by guts up if I saw someone wearing a gilly suit in Tesco's because they thought they looked cool.

Just as an aside I painted my motorbike in urban DPM. It's that juxtaposition that I like about it... and it gets attention too.

GPz600R-left.jpg

Now that! I like!

I'm with Red, Rik and Biker on this one in that I've reached a stage in life where I no longer dress to impress.

I'm about to leave the Army after 25 years service and wearing the firms kit in my spare time is too much like a busman's holiday to me. Having said that I still think that the original Army OG lightweights are the best 3 season trousers going (and you can pick them up for a fiver nowadays) - let them get wet - they'll dry in minutes.

As for DPM...The Army is currently undergoing one of it's, infrequent, pattern changes. The new pattern is designed to blend in with multi environments (desert, woodland etc) which is a step forward in terms of not having to change your kit to suit the environment - but, to an old f*rt like me - it looks too much like a czechoslovakian tank commanders kit - one of many reasons why this old soldier's bowing out!

My old Arctic Smock - although old style DPM is a favourite when I'm out hunting rabbits - mainly because it keeps me dry and I don't mind crawling through all sorts of goo-ey stuff whilst wearing it. (I wouldn't do the same with the moleskin lined ventile).

For those on a budget - some of the military surplus can't be beat. I still like to wear Earth colours when out in the sticks because (and this is a sublime quote from Wayland - which I'm sure he won't mind me nicking!) "I don't want to be a blot on someone else's landscape."

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
I had an interesting thing happen recently at a course. The entire group of 14 stopped at a store on the way to another site, we were grabbing some quick eats and drinks and standing about in the parking lot, enjoying our break. A guy walked by with his kid and says to the kid "what do we have here a right wing military outing?" Some of the folks on this course had on various camo items and it was rather funny. The guy that made the comment was not trying to be amusing, he was being a *ick.

i'll only wear it if i'm at airsoft or camping with the kiddies as its nice and cheap to replace if it gets ripped.
anyways i had a similar thing happen after airsoft when me and my mates were in a local pub enjoying a quiet drink and one of the locals took exception to us sitting there in camo.
he had been giving us sly drunken comments everytime we had gone in there over a period of 2 months and we just took it as drunken ramblings and let him get on with it, that is until he started on my mate when he was outside having a fag.
my friend was down to airsoft for the first time in a few months since his two year old daughter accidentally died and he was still a bit fragile. the day went brilliantly until he went outside to smoke still wearing a full set of russian camo when this fella came up to him and started giving him the third degree over him not being out in afghanistan and not being man enough to be in the army. my friend politely explained to him that after being run over when he was 16 which left him with a mangled leg and permanent limp it wasnt possible! he then came back inside quite upset cos this idiot had had a pop at him and he wanted to leave. a few of us offered to have a word with the drunk but my friend said no just leave it so we did.
2 weeks later we was in the same pub and the idiot was in there with his girlfriend. he started loudly telling his mate that he outed someone who said they were ex army and that he couldnt stand people pretending to be something they are not.
this was all ignored until he looked at us all and shouted ' so when are the taliban getting here then? when you going to afghanistan?' i'd had enough by this point so i replied 'leave it out mate'. he replies 'why should i?' to which i stood up and said ' cos i ****ing said so! thats why'. not the smartest move on my part but after a few months the joke was wearing thin.
the whole pub fell silent and the landlord stepped in and told us both to calm down. the drunk idiot took this opportunity to have another pop and asked who i thought i was. i replied by telling him i was ex TA as was another in the group who was ex infantry and had served in the first gulf war and i found his comments deeply insulting as i have mates who are serving out there and that he should shut up!
the landlord stepped in again and the drunken idiot went outside. i then got an apology off his girlfriend who then confirmed that the idiot hadnt even served in the forces and that he gets a little rowdy when drunk!
lucky for us the landlord was understanding enough not to ban me and my mates for this little altercation and we have been going there ever since where the staff recognise us and welcome us in.
it just goes to show that there are still some people out there who object to others wearing certain types of clothing. but i couldnt care less what they think, i'm happy and thats all that matters ;)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Now that! I like!

Thanks, did it myself with a paint brush, tinned paint... and several headache tablets. Doing something like that looks deceptively easy, until you try painting DPM, then you discover there's a whole art to it.

The bike does get plenty of second glances too. As for not painting the underneath or the belly pan. I figured less is more, besides that diagonal line from tail light to front wheel looked like a good place to stop. The only let down is that I live in the countryside and not in middle of a town now. I have considered going for another woodie cammo job... but then again maybe I won't.

Good luck on civvy street Fin, thank you for your services to Queen and country.

Anyway back to the funnies.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
i'll only wear it if i'm at airsoft or camping with the kiddies as its nice and cheap to replace if it gets ripped.
anyways i had a similar thing happen after airsoft when me and my mates were in a local pub enjoying a quiet drink and one of the locals took exception to us sitting there in camo.
he had been giving us sly drunken comments everytime we had gone in there over a period of 2 months and we just took it as drunken ramblings and let him get on with it, that is until he started on my mate when he was outside having a fag.
my friend was down to airsoft for the first time in a few months since his two year old daughter accidentally died and he was still a bit fragile. the day went brilliantly until he went outside to smoke still wearing a full set of russian camo when this fella came up to him and started giving him the third degree over him not being out in afghanistan and not being man enough to be in the army. my friend politely explained to him that after being run over when he was 16 which left him with a mangled leg and permanent limp it wasnt possible! he then came back inside quite upset cos this idiot had had a pop at him and he wanted to leave. a few of us offered to have a word with the drunk but my friend said no just leave it so we did.
2 weeks later we was in the same pub and the idiot was in there with his girlfriend. he started loudly telling his mate that he outed someone who said they were ex army and that he couldnt stand people pretending to be something they are not.
this was all ignored until he looked at us all and shouted ' so when are the taliban getting here then? when you going to afghanistan?' i'd had enough by this point so i replied 'leave it out mate'. he replies 'why should i?' to which i stood up and said ' cos i ****ing said so! thats why'. not the smartest move on my part but after a few months the joke was wearing thin.
the whole pub fell silent and the landlord stepped in and told us both to calm down. the drunk idiot took this opportunity to have another pop and asked who i thought i was. i replied by telling him i was ex TA as was another in the group who was ex infantry and had served in the first gulf war and i found his comments deeply insulting as i have mates who are serving out there and that he should shut up!
the landlord stepped in again and the drunken idiot went outside. i then got an apology off his girlfriend who then confirmed that the idiot hadnt even served in the forces and that he gets a little rowdy when drunk!
lucky for us the landlord was understanding enough not to ban me and my mates for this little altercation and we have been going there ever since where the staff recognise us and welcome us in.
it just goes to show that there are still some people out there who object to others wearing certain types of clothing. but i couldnt care less what they think, i'm happy and thats all that matters ;)

Once upon a time, in a place called Seattle, Washington, a group of tough guys at a shopping mall decided to harass some young men with very short haircuts, calling them NAZ*s and skinheads and other less than pleasant names. This went on for a few minutes until they had enough and the fight was on. Turned out the young short haired fellows were from the US Army 2nd Ranger Battalion at nearby Ft. Lewis and were not happy about the name calling. They won the fight and the bad guys went off to jail.
I love a story with a happy ending. As for your mate that lost his 2 year old, my sincere condolances, that has to hurt deeply. Very sad indeed.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I have a DPM Sabre 45, with DPM side pouches.. I have no qualms about it wearing at all. I've never worn DPM clothing, and to be honest don't intend to. I'm a big fan of ex-military kit, but there's usually an alternative to camo.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Apparently there were some idiots at the bushcraft show in the bar area, dressed head to toe in camo stuff, Inc a camo barma with a racoons tail attached to the back and then two machetes attached to their belts !!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I will wear one piece of DPM on occasions but not a full outfit. Either a pair of DPM tropical trs or my old DPM smock but never both.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I wear dpm stuff , and i dont really care what people think ...

It's been a mainstay of folks round my way for years.

Be it fishermen, ferreters, shooters, bikers or dare i say punks.

No-one around here bats an eyelid.

It's country clothing here.

Scipio

May 1, 2011
Reading
I have a DPM pack, a DPM basha and I use DPM ration bags,basha bags etc. I wear olive green combats. I would feel a little odd if I were dressed head to toe in DPM gear though. I have no idea why. I don`t have a problem with anyone and what they wear though. I love Twodogs picture. Why have a problem with what someone wears? It`s the person that counts and whatever they can afford, acquire or feel most comfortable in is okay with me.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Can't say as it bothers me in any way what people wear.

What i do find odd though is how many civvies pay a fortune for certain forces kit.
80's stuff seems to go for a song which is even weirder as the first thing you do is ditch the MOD kit and buy your own as the MOD stuff was/is crap.

Some MOD stuff is good, most is just a severe compromise at best.

A mate is usually kitted out 95% + in MOD kit, oddly most of his kit was a fair old price and certainly cost more than what ever i'm wearing (i usually buy left over stock from outdoors shops, me goretex jacket was £20, it's a crap colour but it keeps me dry).
There is not a walk go by without him moaning about his boots, rucksack, too hot/too cold etc.

So as far as colours or some sort of fashion sense goes i can't honestly say it doesn't bother me.
As some MOD kit is more expensive than many civvie items PLUS not as good it does bemuse me why folks buy a lot of this kit.

If it's cheaper or better fair enough.
If it's more expensive and not as good as many civvie items i can't help think they're trying to buy into some weird sort of image.

It can't be coincidence that many of the folks that pay a fortune for the crap MOD kit have never served.

I think if you HAD to wear this crap on a daily basis then wild horses couldn't drag you into a army surplus shop.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...as the first thing you do is ditch the MOD kit and buy your own as the MOD stuff was/is crap...
As some MOD kit is more expensive than many civvie items PLUS not as good it does bemuse me why folks buy a lot of this kit...
I think if you HAD to wear this crap on a daily basis then wild horses couldn't drag you into a army surplus shop.

I never ditched any of mine. If something we had wasn't up to spec we usually got the Commander to approve special issue. At least for knives or tools (it wasn't unusual for certain units to issue Buck 110s or Leatherman tools) And that was when I was serving in regular units; When I got assigned to Special Ops, we got pretty much anything we wanted. Clothing was always sourced through military clothing sales store (unless it was special purpose clothing specific to your MOS in which case it was issued through supply squadron)

I wore it every day for over 21 years. The color scheme changed 5
times during that period; from:
1st plain green with full color unit patches and rank insignia to
2nd: plain green with subdued unit patches and rank insignia to
3rd: Woodland cammo with subdued unit patches and rank insignia to
4th: Woodland or desert cammo with subdued unit patches and rank insignia to
5th: Woodland or desert cammo with NO insignia of any kind and
6th: Back to woodland or desert cammo with subdued unit patches and rank insignia

The surplus store is still one of my favorite places. Not for uniforms true enough but for much of my gear. Once a soldier, always a soldier (Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine). Retired servicemen are inactive reservists subject to recall at the discretion of the Secretary of their respective service.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's been a mainstay of folks round my way for years.

Be it fishermen, ferreters, shooters, bikers or dare i say punks.

No-one around here bats an eyelid.

It's country clothing here.

Here too. But---Most country cammo is a civilian pattern (most commonly Mossy Oak) Even kids and toddlers are dressed in it. All manner of things: Umbrellas, thermos jugs, bed sheets, drapes, rugs, seat covers (pick-up or SUV seat covers), tableclothes, etc.

It's basically a uniform that says, "Hey! I'm a country boy/girl."

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But its so ugly.

I have a faux cam jacket I wear a lot, in brown sploges and thats quite nice. (and hidey)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE