Does anybody else hate DPM ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Ooh-rah
zownir.jpg

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Yeah not everyone like's it, Each to their own and all that.

I wear the trousers for work, They're hard wearing, And the majority of the time can be bought cheaper than the Vastly overpriced work trousers that are on offer.

I don't go overboard when i wear it. As for wearing it around camp, They way i see it it's cheap and comfortable and it hides the dirt:lmao: I'm out " Bushcrafting" not at a fashion show full of labels like Berghaus or Craghoppers etc so i'm gonna wear stuff thats cheap.:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't like it either, (or any woodland camo come to that) but I do have a PLCE bergen in DPM, I got it very cheap & has everything I need in a rucksack (with a few mods.) It is very faded, so the pattern isn't that noticable. I wouldn't dream of wearing DPM clothing or other bits of kit. That said I do like Flecktarn ( looks like an impresionists autumn scene to me) & have a few bags & pouches that I wear with pleasure.
For some reason I never look like a wannabe soldier.

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
New here. Personally when out bushcrafting and generally being in the out-of-doors DPM is fine. Some of the brand stuff such as Berghaus and the like are very over price, much too expensive for my needs anyway, which is something comfortable, durable, easily and cheaply obtained. A few have posted about wearing DPM for fashion, which I think looks a bit rare, it gets very extreme sometimes. Once, an acquaintance wore full Soldier 95 BDU and he had a chest rig, for some light walking in the Mournes, and once i saw a smart-a** teenager in Belfast wearing a Nazi uniform, i nearly lamped the latter.

I have rip-stop Soldier 95 trousers, light shirt and heavy smock, all of these together cost me 20 quid from a surplus store and they do just the job. And at the end of the day its about getting mucked in and doing a bit of work outside. I also have an interest in Airsoft so this gear is useful for that too.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Paul, I've reached a point in life where I am happy with my 'self image' in every way and don't give a toss what anyone else thinks regarding clothes or anything else about me for that matter, they don't count, any issues they have are their problems. When you are happy with yourself use what you want, everyone else's view is not important.

DPM is fine.

yep, bout sums it up for me too

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Would it offend? Im sure that wearing a pair of surplus cargo trousers holds no pretenses at all. If it does, why? I agree tossers walking arond walking and talking to give the impression they have served whilst others put lives on the line are unwanted, the same with any faker, but again the surplus gear is great for what we do. Especially when their are mouths to feed and daddys hobbies are not high on the family funds list!!

Fair points actually. I think you have summed it up really well.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I wore a military uniform nearly daily for over 20 years. I still have some woodland, desert and even some more recent digital. I do not wear it about. I do on occasion perhaps wear a pair of the trousers or perhaps a Gore-tex, for the pockets on the trousers and for the waterproofing on the GT. I only will wear camo when in the woods or desert and not often.

I do however like olive color or dark green or khaki and wear those colors often and anywhere. I like the low profile look mostly and for some odd reason olive is my favorite color of gear and some clothing. I remember my first military uniforms which were all olive, the so called "jungle fatigues" from the Vietnam era. I still have a few of them, best uniform the US military ever had IMO.

I recently got a really good deal on a Lowe Alpine Strike 40 rucksack but I could only get a woodland/DPM colored one. I have not used it, mainly because I don't like the camo look of it.

I have a favorite field hat and it is one of the 3 color desert camo boonie hats. It is about the only camo I regularly wear in the wild and never in the city. CHeers!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Some folk wear it because it is cheap. Not everyone can afford all the 'named' gear out there in shop land.
I'm still in the military on the TA side of things. And I understand what you are trying to say. But I don't have the same issue with folk wearing a combat jacket to keep warm in the winter when walking the dog or somthing like that.
I only get concerned when they are wearing webbing aswell instead of a back pack

Ha ha, plus one on that! Unfortunately DPM issue goretex is all I'm willing to wear around fires and bushwhacking. I try to avoid camo when possible but sometimes needs must. Same can be said for olive, I prefer olive to camo but browns to olive...

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Live and let live, I say,
If it's cheap, fits and does the job wear what you like.
Life is too short................

PREPER......... :)

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I don't hate camo and don't judge anyone else for wearing it. BUT I don't tend to go for it myself. That's not to say I would not buy something because it was camo (I do have a realtree fishing jacket). If it is the right piece of kit and is only available in camo I would buy it but if I had a choice of green or camo then it would be green every time. I definitely wouldn't feel right in complete camo, camo jacket and green trousers or vice versa but not camo both, I would just feel a bit over the top. As I say though that is just what I am comfortable in and I would have no problem if someone else wants to wear head to toe camo.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
still have my DPM gear from my days in the RAF and it still has its uses...that being said, the woods is hardly a fashion parade so it still gets worn. Prefer mil. spec OD over DPM though...and it doesnt make my bum look BIG!! :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
still have my DPM gear from my days in the RAF and it still has its uses...that being said, the woods is hardly a fashion parade so it still gets worn. Prefer mil. spec OD over DPM though...and it doesnt make my bum look BIG!! :lmao:

I would have thought you would have prefered a "Sanderson Print" to a "Cammo Print" :D

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i can understand the thought being in the army my self i dont use the clothes much, i do however use allot of the equipment, bergan, ponch etc etc etc.... i also use my real tree jacket all the time, for shooting walking the dog and bushcraft and any other bonkers thing when i need a good waterproof warm coat with about 6 million pockets.......

the real question is does it matter??????

the answer, no not at all, good gear for a good price, hard wearing dries quick, nuf said!!!!!!!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i don@t usually wear more than one item of camo at a time, but i think that maybe thats so as not to mis-represent my activity to those that may see me doing it. which is sad realy, as the clothing and equipment was designed in a lot of cases to function at all cost in the outdoors.
i would not be parted from my windproof smocks. outstanding peices of kit. trousers i can give or take as plain trousers are avail genreally. my goretex jackets are ace, i have a 94 patt dpm with big chest pockets, and an american desert goretex which is as good as any hi spec mountain jacket i've seen.

lowe alpine strike from endicotts in dpm, damn good bag.

and army boots, have to say, i like them, though am trying to find a decent all leather hi leg boot made by civvy manufacturer.

i don't mind the dpm's, but i'm trying to thin it out a bit now

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I have, as I'm sure a lot of people here do, quite a bit of army surplus clothing, some of it OD, some of it in various camouflage patterns. However, I avoid british DPM as I'd feel a bit of a walt wearing it, especially as I have a short haircut (well what is left of it is short). For some reason I don't get the same feelings of waltishness when wearing flecktarn or other patterns. I also try to avoid wearing a complete set at any one time. The only time I do is in the wet as I have a complete set of flecktarn "goretex". As others have said, it's cheap and practical. My OH on the other hand doesn't have the same reservations and is quite happy to wear DPM. That has the benefit that we don't look like a camouflaged Howard and Hilda. The only piece of DPM kit I own is a bergen, again practicality and cost were the major considerations, it only cont me £15.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
TFan you bring up an interesting point when you mention that you and you OH don't generally wear camo at the same time. It's one thing to see an individual walking in a piece or maybe 2 of camo clothing but it might raise a few eyebrows to see a group with all members camoed up; unless it's a hunting group in a civilian pattern.

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
After reading this thread, I went and dug out my DPM trousers as it reminded me about them and how damned comfy they are for every day wear. :D

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I had an interesting thing happen recently at a course. The entire group of 14 stopped at a store on the way to another site, we were grabbing some quick eats and drinks and standing about in the parking lot, enjoying our break. A guy walked by with his kid and says to the kid "what do we have here a right wing military outing?" Some of the folks on this course had on various camo items and it was rather funny. The guy that made the comment was not trying to be amusing, he was being a *ick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE